Have you been to Berlin?

Casper

Since I've been there...

In no particular order:

German Museum of Technology Berlin (Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin) http://www.sdtb.de/Home.623.0.html

Memorial of the Berlin Wall one of the original checkpoints is still there, worth seeing if in the neighborhood

I did wander through the aquarium, and two of the four museums. The museums are close together, and the best brat I had in Germany was from a cart in the courtyard between the two. The Persian exhibit was impressive. Altes Museum, Alte Nationalgalerie, Museum für Islamische Kunst, Pergamonmuseum.

Places to relax:

Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor)

Television Tower Downtown area, nice to wander at night if your hotel is nearby

and if you can get up to the North West, the Luftwaffe Air Museum http://www.mhm-gatow.de/en/   I missed it, and really wanted to see it. Just didn't have enough time.

I didn't see much of the stuff in the old DDR (East Germany). Wasn't interested in that.

Misc: Eat a brat or two. Kabob on a stick from a cart. Schnitzel. Beer. Berliner style flavored Weisse. Only found in Berlin. More beer. Summer white wine. Hookers in East Germany at night (sight seeing tour bus). Nude parks in Berlin. Even a pool in a hotel is likely to be nude.

I stayed at Radisson Blu Hotel Berlin. Walking distance to the Wall and museums. And the tower downtown.

Best souvenir: Just to the East of the Radisson Hotel, was a little strip mall of shops. One of the souvenir shops had little diecast models of East German Trebant cars. Red and blue, got one of each. Found out later that they are rather rare and hard to find, and actually worth something..

Note that everything closes down at night, except the bars and hotels. That was my impression.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

Also note that the buses require a pass/ticket before you get on, and you must not lose the ticket while on board. No mercy given to tourists for that error. Germans are punctual, always on time. Especially in Berlin. Do not be late anywhere.

https://www.berlin.de/en/public-transportation/1772016-2913840-tickets-fares-and-route-maps.en.html

• Upvote 2

Do not wear white tennis shoes. Not done in Germany. They only wear those for sports. Skip the T-shirts with slogans on them. This stuff just tags you as American and foreign. Learn some basic German if you can find time.