Anti-vibe, gel, riding gloves

Tpoppa

Not many choices, nothing really sport bike armor type. For comfort the Olympia's are the best.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1155/i/olympia-sports-734-digital-protector-gloves

http://www.motosport.com/tourmaster-gel-cruiser-ii-gloves

I went through a couple of pairs of the tourmaster's but tired of how fast they started to smell like ass.  I like them, but not much in the way of protection.

If you have numbing issues might be better off fixing the vibration issue in the bars. Or gel grips. Are you death gripping it maybe?

Edited by Tonik
Wrong link for the Olympia's

42 minutes ago, Tonik said:

If you have numbing issues might be better off fixing the vibration issue in the bars. Or gel grips. Are you death gripping it maybe?

I have a nerve issue.   Im trying to extend my riding career.   

Gloves may help.  Hell I'm even considering acupuncture at this point.

Vibes are a part of it.  I am looking at a few new bikes with cruise control (Tiger 800 & BMW S1000R), that might help, too.

I have a nerve issue in my neck.  My neck doesn't bother me but it causes pain & numbness in my hands.  On a few rides my hands have gone completely numb where I couldn't feel the controls at all.  Not a good situation.  It also happens when I ride a bicycle or push a lawnmower.

I've been all around the Cleveland Clinic trying to figure it out...orthopedic surgeon, rheumatologist, nerve function testing, just has a steroid injection in my spine, etc, etc.

I'm not ready to give up riding just yet :)

Position issue?  On a lawnmower you are pushing with your arms...on either a bicycle or the types of MC's you ride you are in effect doing the same as you are leaning forward so you weight is creating the same pressure. A day on a cruiser where your weight isn't on your arms might be an interesting test.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Position issue?  On a lawnmower you are pushing with your arms...on either a bicycle or the types of MC's you ride you are in effect doing the same as you are leaning forward so you weight is creating the same pressure. A day on a cruiser where your weight isn't on your arms might be an interesting test.

I bought my BMW R1100R for that very reason.  It's a very relaxed riding position.  

I sold my CBR to Blitz because I couldn't ride it anymore.   My VFR isn't that aggressive, but I may be adding Helibars anyway.  

22 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Vibes are a part of it.  I am looking at a few new bikes with cruise control (Tiger 800 & BMW S1000R), that might help, too.

I have a nerve issue in my neck.  My neck doesn't bother me but it causes pain & numbness in my hands.  On a few rides my hands have gone completely numb where I couldn't feel the controls at all.  Not a good situation.  It also happens when I ride a bicycle or push a lawnmower.

I've been all around the Cleveland Clinic trying to figure it out...orthopedic surgeon, rheumatologist, nerve function testing, just has a steroid injection in my spine, etc, etc.

I'm not ready to give up riding just yet :)

I'm having a similar issue with my neck. If I tilt it back and to the right, i get a nerve pinch. At one time, when I would do that, it would be like a shock going down my arm and my arm would go numb/tingle. I've been going to a chiropractor which has helped (I think, or it's worked itself out over time) and it's mostly gone but not completely. It was really bothering me on the trip down to the Gap last fall and that's when it was at its worst. Tonik might remember me bitching about my neck on the ride home. Sitting at a desk all day doesn't help.

3 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I'm having a similar issue with my neck. If I tilt it back and to the right, i get a nerve pinch. At one time, when I would do that, it would be like a shock going down my arm and my arm would go numb/tingle. I've been going to a chiropractor which has helped (I think, or it's worked itself out over time) and it's mostly gone but not completely. 

Have you seen an actual Dr about it?  If not you might want to.  

I have one more appt with the Chiro...if it persists after that I'll look at other options. It's about 95% better most days. Some days it flares up a little worse.

I did speak with my GP about it...she told me to rest and ice it but I haven't spoken to her about it since. I see her next month.

Edited by ScubaCinci

1 minute ago, ScubaCinci said:

I have one more appt with the Chiro...if it persists after that I'll look at other options. It's about 95% better most days. Some days it flares up a little worse.

A neck X Ray would probably show the cause.  Then you might be able to better manage it.

If you see a Dr and they suggest a "Nerve Conductivity Test" don't do it.  I'd rather get repeatedly kicked in the balls than go through that again.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tpoppa said:

A neck X Ray would probably show the cause.  Then you might be able to better manage it.

If you see a Dr and they suggest a "Nerve Conductivity Test" don't do it.  I'd rather get repeatedly kicked in the balls than go through that again.  

Yeah, the Chiro did an xray...he basically said my hit sits forward, putting strain on the back of the neck (could be the result of a previous car accident, years ago).

Thanks for the heads up about the test...it doesn't even sound good.

Disregarding possible spine whacks I've had, my entire left side wanted to be numb or tingle at odd times. Hands in particular. I started taking 1 milligram B12, (1000 microgram) daily, and it all went away. doctors had no clue. B12 deficiency, I suppose. You never know...

Over age 50, your B12 should increase 5x. Minimum 50 micro. 100 micro had a strong effect. 1000 micro kicks. Cheap fix.

14 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

An alternative to gel gloves are foam grips. Not only will the foam soak up some vibes but the larger diameter will keep you from closing your hand so tight. I really hope you can find some relief T. 

Thanks.  I'll be riding this season.  It's a matter of how much I can tolerate.

I'm trying everything I can...bike mods, losing weight, increasing core strength, and way to many doctors.