Anyone have a car project?

redkow97

I think i started a similar thread on this topic a couple of years ago, but I'm curious to hear what other people may have in their garage, or in their past.

My dad keeps bringing up buying a "Sunday car," but won't do it until he has a garage to keep it in.  I can't afford the car, but I can probably build him the garage - but he'll never do it until his car spends a winter on the driveway with the 'new' car taking up his parking spot.

I like sleeper cars and resto-mods.   Not sure my dad feels the same.  For whatever reason, I keep coming back to a Super Beetle.   Find engine from wrecked civic, shoehorn into Beetle chassis, turbo-charge, remove unnecessary weight, enjoy.  Maybe add a cage and auto-cross it or something.  Obviously that would require some suspension work too...

IS there such a thing as a cheap car build?  I would compromise on "loud and fast in a straight line" if the budget demands it.  Fox body mustang is always an option, but that's not as "sleeper" as I'd prefer.

I'm not sure what my dad would really want, other than an unrealistically expensive GT40, or a pristine Mach 1.  Even those might disappoint.  (Never meet your heroes.)

I have a 67 Camaro SS my Dad and I restored when i was in highschool. It's been sitting in their garage for the last decade. Until i move (hopefully in 2017/18) into a place with room to build an additional garage, it will sit there. We showed it heavily from 2002-2007. Biggest achievement was first place at the Summit Racing Camaro car show in the 67-69 Camaro category. But since then it's just been sitting. I haven't drove it in probably 5 years.

This spring i plan on selling my street Daytona 675 and pick up a daily driver 280Z to wrench on. I want to put headers/exhaust on it and lower it a little but. Maybe some fender flares and remove the chrome numbers. Or at least black them out. Probably buy some kind of canopy to park it under. 

• Upvote 1

A '78 MGB - Currently, engine, transmission, gas tank and interior; all out.   Top and windshield off.      Front suspension and rotted out sub-structure rebuilt.    I'm hoping to have it running and safe by late spring, but honestly, I hate this project.    It doesn't speak to me at all.   The very minute it's done, I'm putting it up for sale for 10% over what I'll have into it.

IMG_0319_zpsddn2b9wk.jpg

A '97 Jeep TJ, 4cyl, 5spd.   Traded my Bandit 1200 for it.    It's going to be a mall crawler/street Jeep.   I don't have the budget or patience to build a HD rock or mud crawler.

IMG_0708_zpsxkb17tku.jpg

Although not a car, this weekend, I'm finally picking up the '84 Honda Magna V45 basket case (free).   I figure I'll keep this one at the ready to be worked on should the MG or Jeep get me pi$$ed off.

• Upvote 1

So being that people are putting up pictures.  :)  The autocross event was when I realized how much was wrong with the car.  The second picture was motor work and starting the suspension rebuild.  It's back on the road now and doing better than it ever had since I've owned it.

10696256_10203906355892106_5513866704741

10987757_10205868575266364_1025046349231

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2016 at 10:12 AM, vf1000ride said:

I have an '87 Buick Grand National for my fair weather, funday, car.  It's been a project for me for the last 2 years with doing a top end motor refresh and a full suspension bushing retrofit.

We helped my cousin finish his Grand National for a senior high school project. Good looking cars.ScottGN_zpsf3cmnrht.jpg

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, speedytriple said:

Here's a pic. Hillbilly parts to come soon, lift, tires, push bar. click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145601539370

LOL @ the puddle underneath.   My 96 F150 leaked oil like a SOB around the oil pan.  I was going to replace the gasket but I got hit at a stop light and they totaled out the truck.  

I have a 01 monte carlo i am in the process of swapping the na 3800 with a sc 3800 out of a 2000 gtp. Blower is on top of my box getting ready to be ported. Looking to be running 12 lbs of boost on e85. Wanted to be different with my build i had a 85 iroc with a 385 tune port motor and was a blast to drive. Dont see any late model domestic fwd cars hopped up. 

Glad to say almost all the leaks have been taken care of. Can never say all the leaks on a old Ford, every time I fix one another starts up lol. Maybe eventually I will get them all to stop. It's something for me an my oldest son to work on. It will be my woods truck, an double as his first vehicle to drive to school in six months.

Edited by speedytriple

I bought a neon one time to turn into a road racer/h stock 

I wanted to build it from ground up. But fucker I bought it from said it had problems, but it ran. Check engine light was on. And was missing. Paid $100 bucks for it, drove it home, swapped in new plugs. I wanted something that needed real work. Then I drove it from 150,000 to 190,000 miles over 2 years and never gave me a lick of problems other than a seized alternator I knew was about to go out and I changed it on the side of 271 in about 15 minutes because I had the spare alternator and belt in the trunk. 

God old I miss that fucking purple car, I mostly miss not giving a fly fuck about it because it was purple with hub caps and the Plymouth wave down the side. No niggas about to fuck with a car like that.

Edited by zx3vfr
  • Upvote 1

gallery_11662_851_720740.jpg

Here is a pic of my 77 Midget when i brought it home last summer.  The previous owner let it sit for 10-ish years.  Im not doing a full restoration or anything. Rebuilt the carb and got the wiring squared away and it runs great.  Recently i just got around to replacing the hydraulic systems (clutch and brakes).  Ive been having a hell of a time bleeding the clutch. Once i get that going right and the new exhaust hooked up i should be able to drive it under its own power.  This spring im hoping to be tooling around town in it. 

Im not an MG fan and only picked this car up because i didnt have any "toys" and it was cheap.  

• Upvote 1

Perhaps I should have limited this thread to "projects that you started by choice, not necessity."  hahahaha

I have never really thought of pickups as an option, although some utility to go along with a "fun" car would make it more practical.  Wife might be the biggest obstacle there though.  She didn't like my last truck.  I have tortured myself by finding stuff like this: