Who here does Crossfit?

jporter12

Just as the title asks.  I'm thinking about starting, there's a place here in town, $90 a month for coach led classes every day.  I have no idea what to do to even get started in a gym, or even on my own, so I NEED some leadership and encouragement.  I know they also change the workout every day.

What can I expect?  

Any reason why I should NOT do it? What would be better?

Discuss.

I think their average user fitness level has tanked with their popularity.  I did the into course but never went regularly after. The arbitrary workout plans put me off. How much they encourage you depends on which one you go to and the group that attends. Is it month to month or on contract?

There's plenty of apps/websites that will give you daily workout plans. I looked at 8fit that starts off a base fitness test.

I have a friend who owns a Crossfit affiliate in another state.  It is not his full-time job, but it takes up more time than his full-time job.

He will privately admit that Crossfit is like any other workout program - you are paying for a support system.  There is nothing magical about Crossfit that you can't do in your own basement with minimal equipment and maximum motivation.

Having never taken a class, I do see some advantages to Crossfit:

- the aforementioned support system:  Everyone I know who does Crossfit either makes friends with people in their workout group, or drags their existing friends into Crossfit.  This tends to lead to healthier activity outside the gym (i.e. less boozing, cleaner eating)

- Everyone at the gym is doing the same workout on the same circuit, so you're not spending half your time at the gym waiting for the machine you really wanted to use.  This is my biggest complaint about my gym. Too crowded at times. (but if my gym fees were $90/month, i bet that would thin the herd naturally)

- They do have all the equipment, weights, etc. and you have the whole class helping you set up and clean up.  The pre-planned workouts also force you to do exercises you don't like and probably wouldn't do on your own.

Things I don't like:

- $90/month???  WTF?  I could get a personal trainer at my gym for that amount.

- Crossfit seems (and this may not be universal across all affiliates) to focus on reps and weight rather than form.  I have watched some Crossfit douche set a record for how many "pull-ups" he can do in 3 minutes.  He is undoubtedly strong, but his form is garbage.  I didn't see him do 1 quality pull-up.  I'm sure he could, but the point of pull-ups is not to go as fast as you can... 

- I work-out around nagging injuries that I haven't had addressed.  Their program would not accommodate that.

- Crossfit does an excellent job of training you for more crossfit workouts.  I believe it is more effective as a weight-loss tool than traditional cardio workouts.  That said, I'm not trying to be good at cross-training with short bursts of intense exercise.  SOME of that is good.  Doing that all the time misses the mark for me. 

I thikn xfit can be good if you are already in pretty decent shape and don't get crazy. People are getting hurt all over the place from xfit activities because a) they are not fit or instructed well enough to attempt some of the things they are asked to do b) they are doing activities that are inherently dangerous.

Personally, I'm thinking of doing boxing. Years ago I did kick boxing training and it was an incredible workout and whipped me into shape in no time. Plus it's fun and gives you skills you could use in the real world to protect yourself

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Plus it's fun and gives you skills you could use in the real world to protect yourself

I  hear what you're saying, but don't confuse boxing with real self-defense tactics.

I am definitely no expert and very out of practice, but i used to spend a few days a month rolling around with a buddy who liked to beat up on me during his MMA training.  I was a warm body to hold pads and tire him out while his coach instructed him, but I picked up on some stuff - namely that self defense has no rules.  Knowing how to punch and kick is all well and good, but street fights quickly degrade into clenches.  Gouge eyes, twist ears, knee groins.   There is no "cheating" in the real world, there is only winning and losing.

Being physically fit gives you a better chance to out-muscle and out-cardio a would-be attacker, but you're far more likely to be ambushed than provoked into a fair fight.

2 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Personally, I'm thinking of doing boxing

Back in college I made it through two days of boxing training before I couldn't move. It was awesome and I would love to get back in to it one of these days.

34 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I  hear what you're saying, but don't confuse boxing with real self-defense tactics.

I am definitely no expert and very out of practice, but i used to spend a few days a month rolling around with a buddy who liked to beat up on me during his MMA training.  I was a warm body to hold pads and tire him out while his coach instructed him, but I picked up on some stuff - namely that self defense has no rules.  Knowing how to punch and kick is all well and good, but street fights quickly degrade into clenches.  Gouge eyes, twist ears, knee groins.   There is no "cheating" in the real world, there is only winning and losing.

Being physically fit gives you a better chance to out-muscle and out-cardio a would-be attacker, but you're far more likely to be ambushed than provoked into a fair fight.

True, but building the skill of the punch, kick, proper stance, and how to hit with power can make a big difference. I learned how to use my elbows and knees very effectively as well. It's probably more useful for women...my wife benefited greatly. Most boys grow up learning how to punch and are generally athletic so they've honed the skills to some extent. Before the kick-boxing training, my wife couldn't throw an effective punch to save her life. Now, I'd not want to be on the receiving end of that.

Edited by ScubaCinci

I did a little boxing in the Marines.  Great exercise and skill building.

A heavy bag is a great tool for exercise if you have a place for it.  It will teach you how to throw a punch with power, build cardio, burn calories, etc.  If your hand an wrist aren't in the right position...you'll know immediately :) 

there are different kinds off pull ups.  

Dead hangs = no body movement other than up and down

"Kipping" = using body momentum/rhythm, but your chin and entire head needs to get above the bar

That video doesn't look like either to me.  It looks like glorified swinging.

9 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

"Kipping" = using body momentum/rhythm, but your chin and entire head needs to get above the bar

You shut your whore mouth!  He did 106 motherfucking pull-ups! :lol:

I have an appointment to talk to the owner/main coach next weekend.  I'm going to bring up a lot of this stuff, and feel out what he says.  I'm not looking top be able to do "perfect" pull-ups or anything, I'm just not going to be ALL about the reps, I want to be more about the most reps doing it right, or at least the way that it will do the most good for me and my goals.

Thanks for the input so far!

3 hours ago, jporter12 said:

I have an appointment to talk to the owner/main coach next weekend.  I'm going to bring up a lot of this stuff, and feel out what he says.  I'm not looking top be able to do "perfect" pull-ups or anything, I'm just not going to be ALL about the reps, I want to be more about the most reps doing it right, or at least the way that it will do the most good for me and my goals.

Thanks for the input so far!

If you're not buying in, why pay $90/month?   I could belong to a really nice gym with my own locker, sauna, etc. for $90/month. Shit, you might even get a massage once a month for that price...

6 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I have to agree with this. Looks like a good swinging rhythm. And his girl was so proud. Imagine what she'd think about someone who could do REAL pull-ups. Lol