Is this what happens when we get older?

Tpoppa

I've had three friends and my only sibling die from their own hands. It doesn't even surprise me when it happens any more. You just never know what's going on in someone's head and we rarely ask. Maybe we should ask more often when we are talking to our close friends. But it's a subject that rarely comes up. Perhaps it should.

• Upvote 1

I'm 27. I've already lost 3 friends. One from suicide. One from a seizure. One in a motorcycle accident. None were easy. I hope that fills my quota for a long, long time.

Also,thanks for sharing that Paul. Something inside me knows that Ohio isn't where I truly want to be. Especially Cleveland. But I'll be the first to admit I'm too big of a pussy to move somewhere else at this point in my life. I also have a pretty decent job. I had a buddy try to pull me out to Cali a few years ago. Had a job lined up. Never pulled the trigger.

Edited by TimTheAzn

RE: moving to CA...

It would have to pay significantly more "well enough" than you probably think. The cost of living in CA is way above what it is anywhere in OH. They rape you on taxes and have a lot more restrictions on emissions, etc. and traffic is a nightmare nearly everywhere even close to the big cities. You couldn't pay me to live there.

Edited by ScubaCinci

At one point I wanted to work for a series-2 funded startup company on the east side of the San Fran bay, but even with a generous relo bonus, there's no way I could sustain it, and have time to enjoy the area.  That's part of the problem - to make enough money to live there with anything close to Ohio standards of living, you have to work like a slave, which precludes enjoying the location you're paying and working so hard to live in.

I have had one close friend ended their own life early and another I really worry about on a daily basis. Both of these cases seem to come from money issues and relationship problems and it fucking sucks that people get this way over such trivial things. My personal issue with these type of things is that i get to the point where i sometimes feel guilty about what i have and how my life has gone vs what these folks have been or are going through.

I'm moving to Maryville, TN.

Me and the mrs say when our kids are out we will be looking for anywhere between north or east Atlanta up to Knoxville or as far east as Greenville. or anywhere in that triangulated area.

Me and the mrs say when our kids are out we will be looking for anywhere between north or east Atlanta up to Knoxville or as far east as Greenville. or anywhere in that triangulated area.

I just wish I could get my wife to go down and see that area. Maybe we can forgo the beach for one vacation now that the kid is grown.

I would move to California in a second. If someone offered me a job that payed well enough where I could almost live comfortably, I'd be gone in a flash.

I'm heading that way between the 1st and the 15th of March.I'm in the process of buying a toy hauler,loading up two bikes and heading to the North bay area.I go out there about every 2-4 years,usually spend about 5 months and head home.Since I'll have the toyhauler this time I'm planning on staying much longer...1-2 years or longer and possibly hit other western states.Just live in the RV/Toyhauler.

That was a great post you made concerning your bike and new out look on life.A lot of positive wisdom in what you said.Enjoy!

California is honestly the last state I would consider living in.  I've been there plenty of times for work.  Not for me.

They can keep their overcrowding, traffic, crazy taxes, ridiculous cost of living, and their Calitude.

The only part of California that I have't been to is Tahoe.  I'd be interested in checking that area out, but I hear it's better to live on the Nevada side anyway. 

Don't forget all the nutjobs out there.

I'd much rather move to somewhere like Colorado...at least that's one place the wife and I can agree on. I'd personally like Arizona...lived there for a year when I was a kid. Loved the desert. So many fun motorsport options and you can generally raise hell and no one gives a shit.

I'd much rather move to somewhere like Colorado...at least that's one place the wife and I can agree on. I'd personally like Arizona...lived there for a year when I was a kid. Loved the desert. So many fun motorsport options and you can generally raise hell and no one gives a shit.

There's a shitload of left wing tree huggers, Subaru driving lesbians and assorted nutjobs here, too.

Cost of housing rivals Cali at the moment and other costs are higher too. Taffic in Denver is crap, too.

Western Slope area is where ya wanna go; desert, great riding (on and off road) as well as loads of outdoor activities. Loads cheaper, too.

There's a shitload of left wing tree huggers, Subaru driving lesbians and assorted nutjobs here, too.

Cost of housing rivals Cali at the moment and other costs are higher too. Taffic in Denver is crap, too.

Western Slope area is where ya wanna go; desert, great riding (on and off road) as well as loads of outdoor activities. Loads cheaper, too.

I wasn't necessarily referring to Denver although we do have friends there. How's the pot there? :D

I'm real sorry for the loss of your friends Tony. In my 57 years I've lost only one to suicide & that was 35 years ago. Still saddens me when I think about her. I am with you on the optimism. I draw a parallel between motorcycle riding & life in general. The state of negativity that people get to by focusing on what they perceive as bad is very similar to target fixation while riding. Keep focusing on the bad & you crash, focus on the good & you get through the corner unscathed. Then there's that chemical imbalance in the brain thing known as clinical depression. I went through this (self assessment, not diagnosed by professionals) when I was 21 & but by the grace of the universe I started long distance running & readjusted my brain chemistry. Things aren't so dire now, but Thanks Pauly for reminding me of what I have to get back to. Been on the elliptical but can't wait till spring. I'll be back out on the Cannondale when the weather breaks (want but don't need new wheels). Furthermore; I think that fast motorbike rides through the twisties helps my mental state immensely.

I wasn't necessarily referring to Denver although we do have friends there. How's the pot there? :D

Kinda what I was saying; anywhere but Denver.

I don't partake of the ganja...might have to start though  :crazy:

Colorado is a beautiful place & the skiing is much better than Ohio. I lived there for a couple winters in the 80s. One at Vail & one at Crested Butte back when I was a professional snowmaker. I'm good with Ohio for now though.

I've never let myself get too down about life.  My health isn't the greatest at times and I'll get sad here and there when I realize my son is 16 and bigger than me....where has time gone?  But overall, I've been pretty lucky....and it can ALWAYS be worse.

"We don't develop courage by being happy every day.  We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity"

Edited by 330racing
  • Upvote 1