Bernie Sanders

Casper

Do you mean campaign contribution reform?

That and all participants involved get the same amount of money to campaign with, no advantages for anyone whatsoever. Problem is that both parties are so in bed and owe favors to many enemies of this country, until we can get that under control NOTHING is going to change.

• Upvote 1

America is too stupid to vote for him, though. ...and the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round...

America is too stupid to ditch the 2 party system. It's better to vote for "the lesser of two evils" than to vote for who you think is best person for the job. America is also too stupid to quit the electoral college....

Just read a disturbing but genius story that noted, Illegals can't vote, but... Wait for it...

They're still counted in the Census which leans more electoral votes(+congress seats) than they deserve for citizens to the states they swarm in.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/illegal-immigrants-could-elect-hillary-clinton-213216

Probably right. Dependency is hard to break once it's expected.

I think continuing dependency is eventually more painful and dangerous than ending it.

A libertarian president would not be popular while in office, but I suspect history would smile on him.

USA politics have had over 20 different political parties. Some had agendas, some were splits of parties over issues. Whig, Federalist, Democrat, and Republican parties have all split or reformed at least once. Usually split north and south over issues. The banners of one party become the banners of another, and then changes again. But nothing in many years, other than the appearance of the Tea Party.

We're quite overdue for a new party to form.

edit: at one time in history, there were 6 American political parties in action at the same time. Conversely, at one time, there was only one party in action.

Edited by ReconRat

I think continuing dependency is eventually more painful and dangerous than ending it.

A libertarian president would not be popular while in office, but I suspect history would smile on him.

To your point, I hate getting shots, but I hate fatal diseases worse.  The problem is, people don't want to realize there are fatal "diseases" on the horizon if we just keep cooking along as-is.

What's worse is that mutual trust has broken down between business and government, liberal and conservative, scientist and believer, rich and poor, race and different race, etc.  What we need is a big trust-building event, like a corporate rock climbing off-site, for something more resembling 8 years of collaborative problem-solving in areas everyone pretty much already agrees with instead of trying desperately to sneakily capture one another's entire base.

Cooler heads make better decisions that desperate ones.  Unfortunately desperation, outrage and butthurt are too valuable in politics, ad revenue and voter turnouts.

You can certainly blame the parties for the 2 party system.  They definitely don't want to give up any control.

Voters need just as much blame though.  Especially the jackasses that believe "My party has the answers, your party will be the death of America."  There are plenty of these jackasses.  Too many to count.  These are the people that are propping up the broken system.  

I have far too much pride to call myself a democrat or a republican.  I'm an American.  See signature. 

• Upvote 3

Roughly 75% of eligible voters do not vote. Of the 25% who do, most are woefully uneducated about the candidates they vote for.  I would guess that fewer than 5% of voters even consider third-party candidates, but that's a larger symptom of voters (in general) being woefully uneducated.  My sincere belief is that 60%+ (of eligible and/or participating) voters would agree more with a third-party candidate than they do with a Democrat or Republican candidate.

...but people are stubborn and fearful.  My friend's mother is a very intelligent person.  I converse with her frequently enough on various issues that I feel I know where she stands.  She should have voted for Jill Stein (Green Party) last election.  If she had truly voted for the candidate with whom she agreed on the most and most serious issues, she wouldn't have voted for Obama.  When I pointed that fact out to her, she acknowledged it, but then insisted that voting for Obama was better than wasting her vote on Jill Stein.

She voted for someone she didn't believe in, but I'm the one wasting my vote?  I think not.

• Upvote 1

Voters need just as much blame though.  Especially the jackasses that believe "My party has the answers, your party will be the death of America."  There are plenty of these jackasses.  Too many to count.  These are the people that are propping up the broken system.

My uncle won't speak to me because I didn't vote for Romney. I'm not kidding. I'm blacklisted by family because of politics.

Politics can of course be very personal to people, and it's effortless to generalize and misappropriate cause and effect out of emotion or insufficient time to fact-check and think about things rationally.  At some level, your uncle probably attributes the downfall of America through Obama to you, because if you're not with his opponent, you're with him, and he's the reason why Sara McGlaughlin's cats are mangy or some such loose logic.

Unless something changes, I will vote for Gary Johnson again in 2016. 

I voted him for him back in '12.  Got into a huge argument with a friend because he thought I was throwing away my vote in a swing state.  He didn't like the candidate he was voting for but was doing it for party reasons.  I look at it thusly, you only get so many votes in a life why waste them on a candidate you don't like or believe in.  And as others have pointed out both big parties are in bed with 90% of the same people so how are the outcomes going to be vastly different. 

• Upvote 1

I voted him for him back in '12.  Got into a huge argument with a friend because he thought I was throwing away my vote in a swing state.  He didn't like the candidate he was voting for but was doing it for party reasons.  I look at it thusly, you only get so many votes in a life why waste them on a candidate you don't like or believe in.  And as others have pointed out both big parties are in bed with 90% of the same people so how are the outcomes going to be vastly different. 

At one time I thought it was wasting a vote, but then again, when you're so disgusted with the alternatives, why not?  Viable parties and candidates don't suddenly appear - they need time to build support.

• Upvote 1

At one time I thought it was wasting a vote, but then again, when you're so disgusted with the alternatives, why not?  Viable parties and candidates don't suddenly appear - they need time to build support.

Exactly.  It won't happen overnight, but if the percent of the vote grows it will start to snowball.  At least the optimist in me thinks. 

When you vote for a third party candidate, you vote for change in the two primary parties. They will see the lost votes, and attempt to regain those votes. Even a small percentage will win an election. Sometimes, over time, it actually does create reform for the people.

Dems in Congress don't cooperate with Rep presidents.  Reps in Congress don't cooperate with Dem presidents.

What are the odds of either cooperating with a 3rd party president?

Fair point, but at least a Libertarian can exercise veto powers to limit federal expansion.

Dems in Congress don't cooperate with Rep presidents.  Reps in Congress don't cooperate with Dem presidents.

What are the odds of either cooperating with a 3rd party president?

So what you are really saying is we need to wipe the slate clean in congress and start over with people not purchased and willing to compromise in the spirit of what is best for the country as a whole.  To your point about the 3rd party, how would that be any worse than today?  Maybe it would lead to more 3rd party members in congress as voters figure it out.