Bandit for a Jeep Wrangler?

imagineer

The thought occurred that I'd probably have more fun in an open top Jeep than at warp speed on the Bandit.    So, anyone out there have a Wrangler or a CJ-7 (complete or a project) they're looking to trade?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bar/5392954056.html

• 3 weeks later...

With this '97 TJ, I simply got lucky (or at least I hope so). The seller, a woman in her late 20's, bought it for a project while she was married to a Jeep enthusiast. The marriage ended badly and according to her, she walked away with some bad furniture, no money, all their debt . . . and this Jeep. Basically, she just wanted to be rid of it.    

I traded a $1500 bike (that i had only $1100 into) for a legitimate $3000 Wrangler.   And on top of that, she threw in a pair of aftermarket fenders and left the brand new Pioneer bluetooth stereo.      Aside from new tires and maybe an exhaust tailpipe, this appears to be a solid Jeep.    

looks to be in great shape.  What kind of mileage?  I assume it's the 2.5, based on the lack of "Sport" and "Saraha" badging?

As much as people seem to want to throw money at their jeeps, I think they're best in stock trim for most people.  Bigger wheels and tires really compromise their use as an everyday vehicle, and I have seen stock TJ's (with all season tires no less) do some pretty amazing stuff.  Investing in a winch gets you out of almost any jam, and doesn't destroy the usefulness of the vehicle for day-to-day use.  /$.02

nice find.

looks to be in great shape.  What kind of mileage?  I assume it's the 2.5, based on the lack of "Sport" and "Saraha" badging?

As much as people seem to want to throw money at their jeeps, I think they're best in stock trim for most people.  Bigger wheels and tires really compromise their use as an everyday vehicle, and I have seen stock TJ's (with all season tires no less) do some pretty amazing stuff.  Investing in a winch gets you out of almost any jam, and doesn't destroy the usefulness of the vehicle for day-to-day use.  /$.02

nice find.

Correct, its a 2.5, with 165k on the clock.   The mechanicals will get a freshen up if needed (I've read some stuff about cam chains and tensioners & such), but if the motor is going to take a lot of $ or effort just to bring it back to stock performance, I'll probably just pick up another 2.5 and swap it out.   They seem to be plentiful    

The current scope is simple...After making sure it's safe and fixing the rust and dent, adding 1.75" coils spring pads (maybe a .5" body lift too), go up a tire size to 30" tall rubber, ditch the stock alloys and get a set of black Cragar Soft 8's.   Somewhere in there I'm sure there will be some frame patching.     In reality, this Jeep will probably never see off road use under my ownership (not counting driving in or out of a campground).    This going to be just a light-ish duty, weekend, open top errand runner and summer evening date mobile for the Missus and I.   Also, both my kids are eager for their turn with it.

Congrats!  I was going to post originally that you'd be lucky to find a running Wrangler for the price of your Bandit, but you definitely got the deal of the century there!  Even if the frame needs repaired.  Wranglers are a blast!!!

Check out Safe T Caps for frame repairs.

Edited by Ron505

I spent time under the Jeep last night, basically surveying the frame and what's left of the exhaust.   There is one obvious patch done, passenger side, just ahead of the rear wheel hump.   Other than that, the frame and floors look fine.   I even went all Norman Bates/Psycho with a screwdriver trying to poke through and both the floor and frame are solid.   The exhaust on the other hand . . . 

The WTF moment was when I found that someone welded the large skid plate (that's supposed to be removable) directly to the frame.    I've read that this is a path forward for some lazy folks when the nutserts in the frame spin out and there's no way to easily hold the skid plate onto the frame.    Although welded with a stick welder (doesn't look like MIG), I'm fairly certain I'll be able to cut it free without taking any metal off the frame.    I've got a few ideas for returning it to bolt-on status.

I should add, I drove it to work today.   Other than falling out (caught my foot on the elevated door sill) and a loose battery cable at lunch, it's a decent (albeit noisy) little ride.

Edited by imagineer

I spent time under the Jeep last night, basically surveying the frame and what's left of the exhaust.   There is one obvious patch done, passenger side, just ahead of the rear wheel hump.   Other than that, the frame and floors look fine.   I

I am guessing this is right where the trailing arm bracket is connected.  This is a common issue with the TJs.  Mine recently broke and it is "patched" back on with some creative welding.  It is so common they sell the section of frame to replace the rusted out part.  I am likely going to need to find a shop to do it to mine soon.    

On another note, I have some brownish smittybuilt side bars that mount to the frame.  Would let them go for 50 bucks if you want to come to columbus to get them. 

I am guessing this is right where the trailing arm bracket is connected.  This is a common issue with the TJs.  Mine recently broke and it is "patched" back on with some creative welding.  It is so common they sell the section of frame to replace the rusted out part.  I am likely going to need to find a shop to do it to mine soon.    

On another note, I have some brownish smittybuilt side bars that mount to the frame.  Would let them go for 50 bucks if you want to come to columbus to get them. 

My brother just had the Safe T Caps installed on his frame a few weeks ago in Logan.  The guy does it on the side, and did an outstanding job.  Let me know if you'd like the contact info.

My brother just had the Safe T Caps installed on his frame a few weeks ago in Logan.  The guy does it on the side, and did an outstanding job.  Let me know if you'd like the contact info.

Yes please I would be interested in that. 

• 10 months later...

Look what returned !!

IMG_1314_zpsn6c11r5t.jpg

Last January, in a moment of foolishness, I traded away this bike for a Jeep Wrangler.    Although I enjoy the heck out of the Jeep, I've continuously regretted letting go of the bike.    To appease my anguish, I've been shopping Craigslist for another Bandit to work on.    A week or so ago, what do I see, but an ad looking to sell my old bike (or trade it for a Jeep).    I reached out to the ad, turns out it was the same woman I traded with last January.    She said it was way too much bike for her, and too tall as well.    In the 11 months, she put less than 100 miles on it.    Although she was asking $2300, I offered about half . . . and she accepted!    

So, I still have the Jeep, and my bike; and I'm out only $1200.

Edited by imagineer
  • Upvote 2