HELP!!! with touring pant shopping.

2talltim

Okay im in the market for a new pair of touring pants for 2016. My old All season slider pants that i was never really happy with to begin with are showing their age after their 4th season and maybe 30k miles in the saddle. And of course my requirements are impossible. I want 3 season pants(spring, summer, fall) also keeping in mind my bike puts of A LOT of heat, i can run mesh down to 50 deg with no liner. I want non removable water proof liner i get tired of all that crap. if im on the road and it starts to rain i would rather keep on trucking and be ready 100% of the time. I would like to keep to a textile and also want as much protection as i can get via heavier material and or padding. also keep in mind im a tall fat boy, I wear a 40 or 42 jean with at least a 34 or 35 inseam. 

So ive been looking aroud and ive got some maybes on my radar id like to hear what ya'll running and or what you might recommend. My budget is around $225 but ill got up to $300 if its a smokin deal. 

The A-stars AST-1 and the A-star Express are high on my radar, the AST-1 looks to be cooler weather pants but offer more protection and the Express is the exact opposite, less protection but more for warmer weather. I'll run a over pant with just dry fit shorts on underneath to be cooler is what i currently do.

Any and all comments welcome.....AND GO!!!!

I have the Tourmaster Overpant. However this is my favorite suit. Unfortunately, I did not got get it on clearance, but this suit is extremely flexible:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/tpg_expedition_suit_2014.html

Problem I have with suits is the hight and sleeve length. I've tried a few on and noone really makes one in tall sizes. Plus I like to have the option the switch out between my mesh and tour jacket.

What do you think of the tourmaster overpants in the summer, lack of air flow is my only concern. I would run them with just then shorts underneath as long as the internal material isn't plastic like. Plus I have a tourmaster saber two 3/4 length tour jacket that would zip into it.

Problem I have with suits is the hight and sleeve length. I've tried a few on and noone really makes one in tall sizes. Plus I like to have the option the switch out between my mesh and tour jacket.

What do you think of the tourmaster overpants in the summer, lack of air flow is my only concern. I would run them with just then shorts underneath as long as the internal material isn't plastic like. Plus I have a tourmaster saber two 3/4 length tour jacket that would zip into it.

They are too warm in the summer. They have no airflow. If they used a more breathable material, they would be better.

• Upvote 1

They are too warm in the summer. They have no airflow. If they used a more breathable material, they would be better.

Hum that sucks, they were the front runners. Might ride down to IP wednesday afternoon and check out what they have on the hangers.

My finding is that Aerostich are the only pants that won't leak...Over the years i've had pretty much everything else with Firstgear HT overpants running second. All the rest will eventually leak starting in the crotch :(  which never dries out...

That being said I wear shorts under mine in the heat, and unzip the top part of the leg zipper for air, I ride a lot including being in 100+ degree temps out west, and it works great for me. 

• Upvote 2

My finding is that Aerostich are the only pants that won't leak...Over the years i've had pretty much everything else with Firstgear HT overpants running second. All the rest will eventually leak starting in the crotch :(  which never dries out...

That being said I wear shorts under mine in the heat, and unzip the top part of the leg zipper for air, I ride a lot including being in 100+ degree temps out west, and it works great for me.

I was going to suggest Aerostitch also,but I only have experience with their R-3 one piece suit.

You can get waterproof and cool wearing protection at the same time,it just costs more.Aerostitch is one of those products that are initially more expensive,but you get what you pay for.

Hum that sucks, they were the front runners. Might ride down to IP wednesday afternoon and check out what they have on the hangers.

You may want to check out the Firstgear TPG over pant. They are waterproof, breathable, and they include the D30 armor. I was considering them prior to buying my 1 piece suit.

The Aerostich Darien Pants have accually peaked my interest. Going to do some more research and see if it is indeed worth the extra cost.

I can only speak for my results, but in over 40 years Aerostich Darien pants have never leaked and i've rode in tons of rain all over the country...No regrets here 

• Upvote 2

The Aerostich Darien Pants have accually peaked my interest. Going to do some more research and see if it is indeed worth the extra cost.

Look at the AD-1 pants, that is what I am about to order. One of my buddy's has those and the other has the Darien, they were the only 2 on the Maine trip who stayed totally dry and never had to take out liners or put on Frog Toggs. You get a lifetime warranty on the Gortex "it is the best period" and you also get made in the USA gear which they stand by their products. They do any and all repairs and alterations, there is a reason why hardcore riders and ADV riders buy and where Aerostich.

• Upvote 1

Areostich AD1 Pants have been ordered!!!

My size 44L were actually on sale for 22% off plus a extra 10% with their "stuff that fell off the sleigh sale" got them for $240 with shipping. SWEET!!!

http://www.aerostich.com/sale/rider-gear/darien-pants/ad1-pants-size-44l.html

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

Areostich AD1 Pants have been ordered!!!

My size 44L were actually on sale for 22% off plus a extra 10% with their "stuff that fell off the sleigh sale" got them for $240 with shipping. SWEET!!!

http://www.aerostich.com/sale/rider-gear/darien-pants/ad1-pants-size-44l.html

Good choice.....you won't be disappointed !!!!!

Got them today, might end up sending them back. Their sizing is way off from what im used to. One size too big in the waist and WAY too long. The problem is if i want to exchange them it will cost me another $110 since i bought these our of their clearance stock.

Got them today, might end up sending them back. Their sizing is way off from what im used to. One size too big in the waist and WAY too long. The problem is if i want to exchange them it will cost me another $110 since i bought these our of their clearance stock.

You always order Aerostitch in what you would normally wear in jeans, at least that is the consensus for the majority of people.

You always order Aerostitch in what you would normally wear in jeans, at least that is the consensus for the majority of people.

The waist I can deal with its not that bad, but the length well I ordered the Long well because I'm tall and the measurments concurred with that, well the knee pads are 4 inches below my knee and they drag the ground.