Nelson Ledges

TRMN8TR

On 2/25/2016 at 11:31 AM, redkow97 said:

Does a 250 even drop below 5th gear at Nelson?  :p

I would be interested in that if there is a decent turnout for that class.  Problem is finding a 2008+ model for cheap.   need the 17" wheels to be competitive.

I'm picking up my prepped 250 on Saturday morning.

The guy I'm buying it from knows of several others, some which may potentially be for sale. Anyone interested in details let me know.

From Nelson's FB page.

Dear Track Enthusiasts,
Nelson Ledges is now under new management! The new owner, being a fellow racing fanatic, has bold and exciting plans for the future of the track. Currently Nelson Ledges is being evaluated for repairs, during this time the track will be closed until it is deemed safe and usable again. This is an exciting time for all of us, and we hope to have your support to make Nelson Ledges great again!

12 hours ago, J_Copeland said:

He's a developer.

His house is 10 minutes from mine.

His maid housing is bigger that my house.

Jeff perhaps you should do some of his gardening.  Might get you some brownie points and free trackday!

• Upvote 1

This is a bit of a buzzkill, but I'm hearing good things about the long term plans for the track. I hope this gets some attention and helps draw people in, even if we have to be patient for a bit. I'm going to hold off on the 250 for now I guess. :(

12 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

I honestly can't wait for them to start fixing it up, it deserves it.

This...

It was either shut it down and put some very significant effort into it, or watch it continue to degrade.....I'm happy to hear there will be some downtime. 

On 3/3/2016 at 3:52 PM, r1crusher said:

How do you know that's who it is?  And so what if I do...I like Ferrari cars. :lol:

My boss told me "Brian Ross" was the guy looking to buy Nelson back when I first made this post. That's all I got to go on, but I'm pretty sure it's good info since it's the name I keep hearing everyone else throw around regarding the sale of the track. 

There is going to be a LOT of work needing done and if a car guy bought it and wants to build this thing, it will most likely have a country club result or have enough steel barriers to line the toll road.  I hope otherwise, but with the fact they have conservation things regarding the land and wetlands, I hope it isn't a big deal.  Sounds like they bought it right and can start off on a small cost, but the removing of tires alone is going to be a big nut. 

We will see.  The fact that they are closing it until it is deemed safe shows that a lot of us weren't off track in thinking it was just rough and not well suited for aggressive racing.  Gravel traps in the carousel on the outside are going to be an issue and probably need to revamp the layout to accommodate the wetlands to the outside edge, etc.  Just the grooming of the rough areas in the grass run off spots is a big under taking. 

Basically, they want to make it "modern" and viable for competition?  They have a loooooooong road to haul.  Wish the best.  Would be great to have two tracks in Ohio that are premier and in great shape.  Cool to see Beaver revamped and if they can get Nelson back, maybe the NC region can come alive again!  Hearing Putnam looking to repave is also exciting news.  But I will believe the Nelson stuff when I see it actually happening.  Too many times we've been disappointed...

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Moto-Brian said:

But I will believe the Nelson stuff when I see it actually happening.  Too many times we've been disappointed...

Have you seen what's going on there? I think we have at least some reason for hope. Can't comment on whether or not the new owner will make it motorcycle friendly or not. But more has happened in the week or so since we've confirmed it was finally sold than the last 5 years since I've been going there. The old barn was leveled in 1 day. I'm pretty sure the rest of the buildings will follow if they haven't already. I've heard the old bridge is coming out too, it's been deemed unsafe. Not to say this guy can't disappoint us yet, but I've got a bit of "inside info" from the same people that told me this place was sold months ago that says otherwise. 

Since this thread was based on a rumor that turned into a fact, Nelson is sold. Here's another rumor, complete repave and also widen the track at the same time. Most, if not all, of the tires are going. It's a rumor, but a pretty good one I think. 

Here's what's left of the old barn as of Monday I think:

Nelson%20Barn%202_zpsnrxmemsy.jpg

• Upvote 1

While it is exciting to see things like that, the fact that they are tearing things down that are in a condition that is unsafe or should have been torn down much earlier, I will need to see improvements that are track related.

Here's my concerns...  Widening the track and total repave.  That means more run off.  Do you realize what the lap times will be if that happens?  Know what 1:06s looked like in the similar state it is now?  Think if total repave and widening happens...  More run off in the carousel.  How?  They have wetlands on the outside.  That means a complete redesign really as the run off needed in that location should the pavement be premium and wider...

Post kink.  The speeds entering turn 12.  Turn 1.  These are areas of concern.  Think about how fast you will be able to hit the kink and carry speed to the braking zone of turn 11.  You blow that turn at that new increased speed...  A wall is a bad idea.  But that distance from turn 12 to the exit of 13 on to the front straight is very short in distance.  We've seen even slower riders blow that and get close. 

Tires.  That alone is a large financial issue.  The hauling off and such.  Then buying new tires and bundling.  K-Rail.  Corner stations.  Track timing system. 

My opinion is that they very well may redo the track, but it will be a country club idea.  Too many renos and the way to make that back?  Memberships. 

Listen, I am excited at the idea that we may see another great track in our region.  I am.  Love Nelson and love the layout.  And you know that WERA and others will come and race there.  We will get serious racing and trackdays galore within 3-4 hours total.  Can't be anything but excited.  But because they are doing things that really should have been done years prior and are essentially low budget actions, the track is the primary worry.  I think we will see a new Nelson.  But I also think that we may see something that turns private or similar to what Putnam is at minimum.  I don't think that they are going to be able to justify the ROI unless they step up HUGE and make this a premiere track in Ohio and the east coast. 

Nelson SERIOUSLY if done well could be a host for MotoAmerica.  A lot to do to get to that I know, but the layout is amazing and the area allows for the track to host so much and capable of housing so much.  But that means garages, concrete parking, landscaping and a host of other things outside the track itself.  But a dreamer can dream.

Not a bash to what is happening.  I think it will be great.  I just hope the results are well thought out and not just slapping a new decal on it and calling it good to go.

Seems like the right guy bought it for a drop in the bucket for him. After reading about him this will indeed be a nice track. Big enough for car racing. He is a Ferrari nut!! You think he is going to build a track he can't run a car on?? 

13 hours ago, Chrome said:

Seems like the right guy bought it for a drop in the bucket for him. After reading about him this will indeed be a nice track. Big enough for car racing. He is a Ferrari nut!! You think he is going to build a track he can't run a car on?? 

And that is what scares me.  We've seen car guys build tracks.  They love steel rails...  I hope I am wrong and will applaud his efforts and really hope for yet another great track within our region!

11 hours ago, Moto-Brian said:

And that is what scares me.  We've seen car guys build tracks.  They love steel rails...  I hope I am wrong and will applaud his efforts and really hope for yet another great track within our region!

I guess I didn't think about the steel rails. That would be an issue.