Mid Ohio 2016

RHill

17 minutes ago, ludwb675 said:

When i was running novice at Mid-O, i don't think we ever had a day with less than 30. I think we hit the 40 mark at least once. Either way, the coaches are outstanding!

Great looking bike too VF!!!!

The only reason I mentioned the lower figure is the one instructor mentioned twice they oversold and they normally are trying to hold the 24-26 tops these days for novice.

I picked up the Ducati from a friend that was an instructor up at Mid-O.  He said he could regularly turn 1:39's on it so I have a darn long way to go to even get close to him.  It was kinda funny as alot of people recognized it and made for a good conversation starter.

wooohooo got the internet back at my place! 

Sloppy edits, sucks when you realize you made a bunch of mistakes after a video is encoding for 2 hrs.  Second video has the audio track from my bike for the first 3/4 then Andrew's for the last quarter.  First one the ass-camera moves around because I forgot it was a couple clips stitched together.

Brake reservoir was "repaired" before the next session.

11 minutes ago, DesmoDuc said:

way cool Ryan .. we gotta do that again!

Agreed!  I need to figure out your secret for T1; 4:35 in that second video is ridiculous.  I might have been a little slow on entrance that time, but much hotter and I start to run wide early and completely ruin drive up the hill.

Spotted that muffler you were pointing out, it was literally a 6" gap between the mid pipe and can.....you can even see it in the video!

6 minutes ago, J_Copeland said:

I'm thinking about going July 11th.

Anyone else ?

Should try and make it down for vintage days before too....have this odd feeling there will be a decent amount of the MotoSeries crew there :D

Watching Ryan and Andrew fly around me in the 7th session video makes me sad -- I want in on that fun.
(8:40-ish in Ryan's vid in Thunder Valley, about 10:30 mark in my vid)

All my raw footage is up, except I missed the first two morning sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/c/trackbikez

Edited by Trackbikez
  • Upvote 1

Saw your earlier video, think it was 11am session.  Looked like you had a pretty hard pass put on you at the end of the session, just after the crest following the Honda bridge.  Think the rider was waving to apologize after.  That's a decent spot to pass, but if it's not done before the transition to the right, it's ugly.

• Upvote 1

Yea, that's what I was talking about at lunch.  No harm no foul, but I admit it caught me off guard.

He said he was looking for me to apologize, but I ran into him first and shook his hand.  He did apologize, said his foot fell off the peg which distracted him.  He wasn't intending to pass there.

He also passed me on the outside braking for T1 later in the day, and I was already hugging the outside.  I didn't force him into the grass or anything, but he decided he wanted to put himself awfully close.  His leathers said "Heroic" ont he leg, so that's how I remembered him. :D

I didn't feel like I was "on" Tuesday -- I didn't feel as comfortable on the bike, on the almost worn out rear, something wasn't gelling for me.  I'm hoping to get a new rear on and get back into the mid to low 1:40s on the next outing.

2 hours ago, RHill said:

Should try and make it down for vintage days before too....have this odd feeling there will be a decent amount of the MotoSeries crew there :D

I am running the 600 SS novice races down there. You should too!

vf1000ride

Reminds me of my 999S racebike ... something like 15,000 race miles on it.  3 or 4 crankcases along the way (yours will be fine, mine was built a little).  Man that bike served me well. 

Edited by DesmoDuc

During twilight there won't be food provided anymore,so bring your own.also for tech bring your gear too.intermediate, advance need to have back protector. Some people have in their 2 piece leathers foam in the back,that is not consider as back protector.

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder to ride with our heads.  From the 6th advanced session on 6/30.  I was told that a racer struck a track day regular at the bottom of the hill; you can see bikes up against the wall in my windscreen.  At least one guy got life flighted away from track.   

life.png

Edited by DesmoDuc

I heard some in advance saying right before this happened that there were at least 3-4 riders that were out control making close passing and stuffing others riders pitted next to me..... Who won the track day trophy? If I make a 5 foot pass they are all over me about it....my lips most not pucker up right!

That T9?  Downhill entrance right, just before the Honda bridge?

Some reason that turn is a real impact zone, know of 2 prior collisions that happened in the corner(if that's where it was)

Hope everyone is alright!

Ok, so I have questions........

first is there a tire vendor at the midohio days now?    I haven't been there since the STT days and can't find that info anywhere.

Second, how likely is it that there will be room in the July 4 date?   Since I don't know if I still know anybody there, I am guessing I will be starting in "I" and having to get a bump.   Planning to drive up Monday morning and see what happens.

And I guess since I'm asking questions, anyone know why there aren't any weekends for bikes anymore?

thanks

Bill.

1 hour ago, Slowohioboy344 said:

Second, how likely is it that there will be room in the July 4 date?   Since I don't know if I still know anybody there, I am guessing I will be starting in "I" and having to get a bump.   Planning to drive up Monday morning and see what happens.

I'm trying to sell my spot at a discount... PM me if you want to call the track tomorrow and see if we can switch my spot to your name.

7 hours ago, Slowohioboy344 said:

Ok, so I have questions........

first is there a tire vendor at the midohio days now?    I haven't been there since the STT days and can't find that info anywhere.

And I guess since I'm asking questions, anyone know why there aren't any weekends for bikes anymore?

thanks

Bill.

Hey Bill,

Called yesterday and only ten people had signed up for the "I". Because I hadn't actually rode the track they wouldn't put me in advanced. No worries, with only ten people---should be a blast. 

I can't speak for tires, however I know they do some "twilight" evening on Sunday. This is a new concept that I haven't heard before.

Call them up, they were extremely nice to me! 

You can always drop tires off at Iron Pony, I'll pick them up for you, transport them to  the track if your in a hurry. 

If anyone wants any certificates let me know. My old man had quite a few and won't be able to ride this season. Shoot me a pm if interested. Might be able to save you a few bucks.

Edited by Habi

Sent you a pm abt the certs.

I believe Mark Junge does tires for the full days, but I'm not sure about twilights.

No weekend for bikes because track time is in demand at mid-o and bikes get the leftovers lol

Mid o is big enough, if traffic is a problem roll through the pit and it is very unlikely you will see that traffic again that session.  Even in advance you need to do that sometmes.  Talk to a CR abt a bump if you continually run up on people.

Midohio don't sell tires. they can change them .Mark is not tire vendor,he is PTR director..twilight it's been around forewer. This year we change the order to 20 minutes intermediate, and 20 minutes advance.no more combine sessions.people like it .we usually get 5 sessions if everything go smooth.check the schedule there is plenty twilight on weekends this season.