Raising the Back End?

jschaf

Everyone has heard of lowering links but has anyone here had any experience with raising the rear with links?  I am considering this with my Ninja 1000.  Peg scraping (& hard parts scraping which follows shortly after) is a bit of an issue. Since getting the bike I have started running a 55 series rear tire (vs the 50 series that the bike came with) & cranked up the rear preload to about 80% of max & the bike now has fairly neutral steering in that I can set it on a line & it will not require additional steering input throughout constant radius corners.  I would like to resolve the cornering clearance issues though. Any suggestions?

I raised the rear on my EX500 by using shorter suspension links.

I'm sure the EX has almost nothing in common with the Zx10, but I'm sure you could accomplish the same thing with a similar mod.

Just watch that you don't upset the geometry too much. You're decreasing rake on a bike that can hit 180mph...

I raised the rear on my EX500 by using shorter suspension links.

I'm sure the EX has almost nothing in common with the Zx10, but I'm sure you could accomplish the same thing with a similar mod.

Just watch that you don't upset the geometry too much. You're decreasing rake on a bike that can hit 180mph...

Thanks. Mine is the sport touring Ninja. I probably wouldn't have these issues on a zx10r as I don't on my cbr.

if the internet is showing me the proper linkage setup, I think you do want shorter "dog bones" to achieve a rise in the rear.

This is an extremely simple DIY mod if you have proper strength plate-steel.   a 1/2" decrease should raise the rear at least an inch.   Just get the proper material and drill 2 holes 1/2" closer together than the existing suspension links, then cut them out, and smooth the edges. 

Edited by redkow97

I dont know what your shock mount looks like...but you should be able to add spacers such as large washers.   It's cheap and it works.   I know someone who did this to a Superhawk with good results.

Thanks. The simplest solution is often the best. I'll let you know how it works out in the spring. Then again maybe I just need to hang off more, haha.

Thanks. The simplest solution is often the best. I'll let you know how it works out in the spring. Then again maybe I just need to hang off more, haha.

I like this method because if doesn't affect the suspension travel or any of the suspension ratios.  

I hang off of bikes like crazy.  Probably way too much.  that said, I'll 'defend' jschaf a bit and remind everyone that the Ninja 1000 is already a modified ZX10 chassis, rearranged for comfort.  They probably lowered the pegs a good 2-3" from the position they were in when it was badged as a ZX10.

Maybe look at older ZX10 rearsets instead of trying to raise the whole bike up?

I hang off of bikes like crazy.  Probably way too much.  that said, I'll 'defend' jschaf a bit and remind everyone that the Ninja 1000 is already a modified ZX10 chassis, rearranged for comfort.  They probably lowered the pegs a good 2-3" from the position they were in when it was badged as a ZX10.

Maybe look at older ZX10 rearsets instead of trying to raise the whole bike up?

If I can quote jim correctly "he bought the ninja for the legroom" so I doubt he will want to put his pegs back up to where they were on his cbr.

If I can quote jim correctly "he bought the ninja for the legroom" so I doubt he will want to put his pegs back up to where they were on his cbr.

So he needs adjustable rearsets or multiple bikes. There's going to have to be some compromise here, either with the bike, or body position.