Religion of Peace?

Tpoppa

aren't we all just splitting hairs and definitions here?

Of course religion (nearly all of them) has been used to rationalize a billion different horrible acts.  I think religions are dangerous because people follow them so blindly, and the founders they hold in such high regard are not around to correct or qualify past statements or writings.  Hell, 90% of christianity is 'the inspired word of god.'   That's the polite way of saying some dude made it up, and then the church endorsed it as the word of god later.  The other 10% is (supposedly) first-hand observations written down by apostles, and then I guess technically the 10 commandments were literally etched in stone by 'god' as he appeared to moses as a burning bush.  (totally rational and legit)

My knowledge of basic islamic tenants is lacking, but my guess is that allah doesn't have a whole lot to say, and the 'prophet mohamed' got to make up whatever he wanted.  When those words were recorded is anybody's guess.

God may not be bullshit.  I'm not prepared to completely dismiss the possibility of a higher power - but religion is pure and utter shit.  Religion is men scaring other men into an ideology using god as a tool of fear.  I do not lack faith in 'god,' i lack faith in man.  People who place their faith in the wrong men will always be dangerous.

• Upvote 2

I see what you did there.  The thing about numbers like you are stating is they can be massaged to show many different outcomes.

What is considered a terrorist attack?  What type of violent crimes are being lumped in as a terrorist attack?  Foreign or domestic?  Is it for a specific country of region?  Many countries are plagued with violent crimes that many would not consider terrorism. 

.003 percent of all Muslims are terrorists and commit only 2 percent of all terrorist acts.

Bet the numbers are way higher for bikers.

6% in the USA per FBI stats

2.11% of USA population (2014)

ergo 2.8 times more likely to commit terrorism

edited with more up to date data - population was 0.1% in 2010

Edited by ReconRat

Not sure I feel any better about this terror chart and wonder what event's they're counting.

What percentage of foiled terror plots are muslims, maybe they just suck at it?

So the message is they are only 2-6% so why try to stop them at all?  When they do hit It's pretty hard. Compared to other groups onesie twosies.

And look at the latino slice... What's the terror acts to population % ratio for muslims...?

piechart2.jpg?resize=491%2C491

Edited by motocat12

Not sure I feel any better about this terror chart and wonder what event's they're counting.

What percentage of foiled terror plots are muslims, maybe they just suck at it?

So the message is they are only 2-6% so why try to stop them at all?  When they do hit It's pretty hard. Compared to other groups onesie twosies.

And look at the latino slice... What's the terror acts to population % ratio for muslims...?

piechart2.jpg?resize=491%2C491

This article exains this chart.  The 42% of Latino attacks accounted for 7 deaths.   The 6% of Islamist attacks accounted for over 3,000 deaths.  

So...this chart is misleading, and it would appear intentionally so.   Political graffiti by a Latino group was considered as 1 act of terror.  9/11 was also considered 1 act of terror.  They don't quite equate, do they?

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/01/no-americas-terror-threat-is-not-coming-from-latinos/

Edited by Tpoppa

FBI still says they worry more about tree-hugging domestic terrorists. They hold the record for monetary loss, apparently.

Most of the data doesn't mean much, if it's not per capita and totals of damage or deaths.

But basically, if it's not one, it's the other. Just have to live with it and do what we can.

edit: found a chart of incidents of domestic vs foriegn over time. It goes back and forth, with foriegn terrorism slightly higher in the beginning, once in the middle, and again currently. And both are going up in number of incidents.

Edited by ReconRat

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting side effect. Sales of firearms increased (again) in response. But the interest in scarey "assault rifles" has been dropping since the peak after the attempted ban of AR-15s and kin. Sales of such are continuing to drop. It's an interest in handguns now, for personal protection, and has a large increase in first time buyers (again). People are taking the situation personally, and more seriously.

edit: And yes, there was a knife attack in gun-less Britain, after the commitment to airstrikes in Syria by the British military. Britain says their terrorist threat level is very high. Connections have been discovered between France and places in Britain.

Edited by ReconRat