Anyone ever get their VA CCW license and use in Ohio?

just_some_dude

Just curious if anyone has ever done any of the online Virginia CCW courses and have it recognized in Ohio? There are multiple VA websites that have you take an online test for your CCW, pay a fee, and supposedly get your CCW.

Any experience with this?

Couple examples: https://virginiaconcealed.com, https://secure.vaguntraining.com/

I get that part. The test is super easy. I didn't even watch their video. Just didn't know if anybody had experience doing this and had any issue. Looks like if I'm in VA, I do this, then take to local VA county office and it gets approved. Didn't know if same thing would approve in Ohio.

I was under the impression you could only get a CCW from the state you live in?

No, most...many...states allow out of state. I have a PA for example to.get extra states. Though that has since been fixed.

But some states dont recognize an out of state license. Wisconson and Michigan I believe are examplesn

The vaguntraining one is only $20 bucks. From what I read, they give you a certificate, may have to take to your local sheriff in Ohio to get recognized. Is that what you did with PA Tonik?

No, PA does not require training. Just filled out the form and mailed them a check. Got to go in person now, and some sheriffs wont so it.

But no need now. If your Ohio ccw is new or renewed after march or so (dont recall the exact date) it is now honored everywhere the PA one is.

Okay. I think I was misunderstanding how this works. I was thinking I get a VA information stating I passed a test, then take to complete the license part. What was throwing me off was the sites kept referring to registering with your local county. Since I don't live in VA, I was thinking I would have to do that here. I guess all I really need to do to be "legal" is to pass the VA exam and get a VA license for $20.

Going to sound like a dick but...

Stop trying to find an easy way out and just do the proper training for the state you live in.

Dickimg around and trying to bypass the system only gives fire power to those that would like to take your right to carry a firearm away.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after learning more about it I wasn't too impressed. You don't have to take any classes, just past a simple test, pay some money, and you are good to go. I thought you just had to pay 20 bucks and you are good to go. They still want finger prints and a picture of your balls to make them happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Last I knew Ohio did not honor out of state permits for Ohio residents.... meaning if you are an Ohio resident you must possess an Ohio permit in order to carry concealed.

This is not the case..least I really hope not, because I've been carrying with an out of state Florida permit for years. It was definitely legal when I got the permit. I try to keep up with legislation, as much as time allows. 

If Ohio honors the CHL they honor it no matter where you live, including Ohio.  Andon is is perfectly legal in what he is doing. With the change in the laws Andon you should consider Ohio next time you renew. I believe it is cheaper and it is honored everywhere now..except the usual suspects like New York...Callifornia and so on (12 total).  Florida's non-resident CHL misses quite a few states (21 total).

BTW everyone, the Virginia AG just went ape shit and canceled reciprocity with dang near everyone.  In February we won't be able to carry there...unless something changes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Ohio honors the CHL they honor it no matter where you live, including Ohio.  Andon is is perfectly legal in what he is doing. With the change in the laws Andon you should consider Ohio next time you renew. I believe it is cheaper and it is honored everywhere now..except the usual suspects like New York...Callifornia and so on (12 total).  Florida's non-resident CHL misses quite a few states (21 total).

BTW everyone, the Virginia AG just went ape shit and canceled reciprocity with dang near everyone.  In February we won't be able to carry there...unless something changes.

I stand corrected