Multistrada savvy folks please school me...

Helmutt

Hellmutt:  Not sure if you've got heart set on a brand new '15, but if you're interested in a Multi and want to save some serious cash, there's a '10 MS base model (no ABS, no panniers) with 13K miles for sale on ADVRider flea market for $7900.  Looks super clean, 100% stock and located in Nashville, TN, so an easy 1-day drive-n-buy.  Just an FYI...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2010-ducati-multistrada-beautiful-cond-nashville-tn.1099628/#post-27983465

Thanks man, but if I go Multi I'll likely go with the '15. The DVT, cruise, and new beak are a few of the key benefits that's enticed me over pre-15's

Thanks man, but if I go Multi I'll likely go with the '15. The DVT, cruise, and new beak are a few of the key benefits that's enticed me over pre-15's

Get ABS no matter what. And yea, the rear brakes on the gen 2's blows dead goats, I forgot about that. Hopefully this gen is better.

Get ABS no matter what. And yea, the rear brakes on the gen 2's blows dead goats, I forgot about that. Hopefully this gen is better.

I believe ABS is standard on all versions of the 15 Multi. If not, the S is and that's what I'm after. I'd seen something about the rear brakes, but honestly it doesn't matter much to me unless I go offroad. I still have the OEM rear pads on my ZX14, at over 24k, and they still have a ton of life left in them. I'm a front brake all day kinda guy unless I get into trouble

You need to ride the latest water boxer BMW 1200GS, I can assure you that engine is no slouch. When spending the kind of coin you are likely gonna spend with the Multi, the GS always seems to come out on top in shoot outs for a good reason. Just food for thought. :)

• Upvote 1

You need to ride the latest water boxer BMW 1200GS, I can assure you that engine is no slouch. When spending the kind of coin you are likely gonna spend with the Multi, the GS always seems to come out on top in shoot outs for a good reason. Just food for thought. :)

From what I gather, it's the transmission saving the GS from the same complaints some of the RS guys are having. I dont think the GS has enough sport for me. It's primarily an adv tourer and not so much of a sport tourer

Edited by Hellmutt

So that would make the engineers at Ducati idiots. Especially since the didn't fix it even with a recall. Kind of like the gas tank bullshit too.

But my understanding is that the issue is heat, they fade badly when hot, and get very hot because it is right next to the damn exhaust.

But my understanding is that the issue is heat, they fade badly when hot, and get very hot because it is right next to the damn exhaust.

If the exhaust is cooking the rear brake, you're either damn near parked or the pipe's been rerouted directly at the rear brake

If the exhaust is cooking the rear brake, you're either damn near parked or the pipe's been rerouted directly at the rear brake

I know of what I speak. If the newer ones are the same as the gen 2 you will have NO back brake.

I know of what I speak. If the newer ones are the same as the gen 2 you will have NO back brake.

Not saying you dont man, but the exhaust on the '15 is high mounted on the right side, the rear brake is mounted low and left of the wheel. So...??? Isaacs Papa said it right, a good bleeding cures the majority of it. Most guys were swapping out the factory fluid with a specific Motul branded fluid too. Apparently the factory fluid would darken up fairly quickly

My sportclassic has the same rear brake issues as many Ducati's.  In my case it's because there is a large section of the hose that goes up and over the swingarm between the master and the caliper.  Roughly once a year when I am doing a tire change and the wheel is off the bike or whenever it gets bad I have to take my caliper off, shim the pads and hang it above the seat and bleed the system. Sure it's a design flaw on the bike that you can trap air in a section of the hose that's not bleedable but it's easy enough to remedy during normal bike maintenance.  It causes me to spend an extra 30 minutes working on the bike 1-2 times a year, certainly not a good reason to disregard a bike for ownership.

From what I gather, it's the transmission saving the GS from the same complaints some of the RS guys are having. I dont think the GS has enough sport for me. It's primarily an adv tourer and not so much of a sport tourer

Sport tourer is just a label and is in the eyes of the beholder, heck my V-Strom "for me" is a better touring machine than the Connie 14 that Tim now has. Unless you are planning to ride 120 MPH on the Autobahn, I don't see you even coming close to utilizing the 150 HP on tap for the Strada. Have you ridden a V-Strom 1000, because that is one seriously capable bike that is plenty fast and is an amazing do it all touring machine? Would likely also save you about 6 or 7 K too. ;)  I have ridden a lot of bikes "including Hoblicks original Multi" and it was BAD ASS. I can see why you want the Multi, after coming off a ZX-14 most anything will feel sedate to you.

Edited by Pokey

I have got to contribute here about the rear brake. I do not doubt that some bikes have a non functioning rear brake. Mine is a 2013 with 15k miles and the rear brake has always worked. The fluid is black because it gets cooked by the catalytic converter. I have never bled it and I can still activate the ABS if needed. Remember these bikes are hand built which sounds nice, but Mario may have partied a little too hard the night before working on your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I have been lucky because the design/placement of all the components of the rear brake is horrible. That is not the only place where a German surely would have made it work better over looking better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sport tourer is just a label and is in the eyes of the beholder, heck my V-Strom "for me" is a better touring machine than the Connie 14 that Tim now has. Unless you are planning to ride 120 MPH .

You shut your whore mouth [emoji12] Noone plans on 120 mph it just happens.....on every ride[emoji6] Edited by 2talltim

Sport tourer is just a label and is in the eyes of the beholder, heck my V-Strom "for me" is a better touring machine than the Connie 14 that Tim now has. Unless you are planning to ride 120 MPH on the Autobahn, I don't see you even coming close to utilizing the 150 HP on tap for the Strada. Have you ridden a V-Strom 1000, because that is one seriously capable bike that is plenty fast and is an amazing do it all touring machine? Would likely also save you about 6 or 7 K too. ;)  I have ridden a lot of bikes "including Hoblicks original Multi" and it was BAD ASS. I can see why you want the Multi, after coming off a ZX-14 most anything will feel sedate to you.

I get your reasoning.  But you've got to admit, the Multi has a considerable advantage in the suspension and electronics dept over most anything japanese.  And yes, the 160hp will be used - maybe less frequently, but used all the same.  I've pinned my higher HP ninja multiple times on the road, and even more on the track, but it had plenty more gear than I was willing to spin.  I love the power of the ZX14, and it's got the longest legs I've ever seen from a bike, but I dont need to bust 150mph in 4th gear anymore.  It's just silly fast, and I'm not using half of what that bike can do most days.

The Duc's power isn't a need, it's a want - but if it's there, I'll use it from time to time.  Sort of like cruise control, I wont use but every now and then - but it's there waiting. 

I honestly just cant see a Vstrom performing for me on the track like a Multi can.  I'm not saying it's NOT a sport tourer, and isn't as capable as other bikes in it's class, just isn't on the list of what I want from my next bike.  Money aside, I'd much rather have something that satisfies all that I want right out of it's crate.   Especially since I'm keeping the next bike for a long time.

• Upvote 1

I have got to contribute here about the rear brake. I do not doubt that some bikes have a non functioning rear brake. Mine is a 2013 with 15k miles and the rear brake has always worked. The fluid is black because it gets cooked by the catalytic converter. I have never bled it and I can still activate the ABS if needed.

I'm understanding better now.  I thought Tonik was arguing that the exhaust was cooking the caliper, but it's actually the catalytic underneath baking the brake fluid in the LINE.  Right?  Or is it at the reservoir?  Either way, there's not a way to possibly shield the line/reservoir that may help?   I've read guys on the duc forum changing out the fluid for better stuff helps as well.

I get your reasoning.  But you've got to admit, the Multi has a considerable advantage in the suspension and electronics dept over most anything japanese.  And yes, the 160hp will be used - maybe less frequently, but used all the same.  I've pinned my higher HP ninja multiple times on the road, and even more on the track, but it had plenty more gear than I was willing to spin.  I love the power of the ZX14, and it's got the longest legs I've ever seen from a bike, but I dont need to bust 150mph in 4th gear anymore.  It's just silly fast, and I'm not using half of what that bike can do most days.

The Duc's power isn't a need, it's a want - but if it's there, I'll use it from time to time.  Sort of like cruise control, I wont use but every now and then - but it's there waiting. 

I honestly just cant see a Vstrom performing for me on the track like a Multi can.  I'm not saying it's NOT a sport tourer, and isn't as capable as other bikes in it's class, just isn't on the list of what I want from my next bike.  Money aside, I'd much rather have something that satisfies all that I want right out of it's crate.   Especially since I'm keeping the next bike for a long time.

Ah.......yeah the Multi will be perfect for what you are wanting, it is a legit machine for sure. That FJ-09 is pretty sweet too, it kind of calls to me for adding next to the Strom in the garage. :)

ah I dunno why I thought you were taller...

because I was standing next to him the last time you saw him?

Yeah. Lower it. That way you only need a step stool instead of a reach truck. ;)

I took gymnastics... a cartwheel and front handspring...

• 3 weeks later...

he will change his mind a few times, ride a couple, research every bike ever made, make 10 more threads and then find a killer deal on something completely different and buy it.

My wife surely has me pegged. I reached a moment of clarity in my bike search. All the electronics aren't equating to be as much of a need as I'd thought them to be, at least at this point in my life. My compulsive nature to research and learn all I can about the bikes I considered has bought me enough time to finally come back down to Earth.

She would've supported me in virtually any purchase I'd want, but the $20k+ pricetags kept my eyes to the internet trying to ensure I wasn't making a gravely expensive mistake....and that seems to have paid off in the long run.

I'm going to check out a near new condition 2011 Triumph Sprint GT tomorrow or Tuesday. Since resetting my WANTS vs NEEDS in a bike, I think I've found all that I'm after in the sporty triple tourer. The triple is said to be the perfect mate between twin torque and inline power. 1050cc has plenty, the mileage isn't hateful, seating position is on par with what I'm after, the luggage is of high quality and bigger than most other bikes, instrumentation is more than adequate and shows me all I need, the only missing piece is cruise - but throttle locks are abundant and cheap enough. They are sort of a rarety compared to other bikes so there's not a ton of aftermarket availability here in the states. Not a bad thing, it will keep me from getting too farkle happy.

I skimmed right past these in my initial searches because they closed the market on them here years ago, and I was so hung up on a new bike.

But now that my brain is thinking on a practical playing field again, I believe I can enjoy one of these for years to come.

I'll post up my findings after I get my eyes and ass on this thing, but I can imagine a deal being struck on it...depending on the dealer's willingness to play ball

• Upvote 1