Statistical risks associated with drag racing motorcycles

silentcropduster

Anybody have any facts - that the can back up with websites etc - that show the risks and possibly of being hurt or killed drag racing motorcycles on an NRAA sanctioned track?

I've looked and can't find squat. Fiancé wants me to quit racing my fz1 at the track because she's worried I'll get hurt. I have a snell 2015 cert helmet, all other gear has CE Armor and is Joe Rocket, Dainese, & Alpinestars. Pants, jacket, high top boots & gloves.

I think I'm more likely to be scraped off the road by another cager in all honestly.

double thumbin' it!

You already know it's more dangerous than say, gardening or playing bridge. What would statistics do? If it's something you like to do, & I'm assuming it is, don't give in 1mm. Nip this in the bud because if you don't it is only the tip of the iceberg.

Impossible to find the total number of motorcycle drag races per year.

Rough guess, 28 sanctioned events per year, 13 classes, maybe 6 days, 1 winner & 1 loser each class = 4268+

(yes, that's assuming only two competitors in each class, a number way too low)

2010-2015 there were 3 motorcycle fatalities on drap strips.

2005-2009 there were 8 motorcycle fatalities on drag strips.

2000-2004 there were 4 motorcycle fatalities on drag strips

A good percentage are Top Fuel

Average one fatality a year

1 in 4268+ per rough guess each year @ sanctioned events (assumed absolute minimum competition of two)

annual mortality all causes - one in 121 (mostly disease and medical complications)

annual mortality in all accidents - one in 2421

annual mortality in motor vehicle accidents - one in 9708

roughly way more than 36 times more likely to check out from being unhealthy

http://dragstripdeaths.webs.com/

Basically, outside of Top Fuel and Pro Stock competitions, unless there's a speed wobble, pretty darn safe.

Probably much different per mile traveled, but that's not the point

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

so if there were an average of ten competitors per class, with run offs, it would jump to something like one in 76842. An incredible safe number, not even counting minor league racing events at home town tracks.

(The average is probably closer to 30 runs per event per class.)

I would seriously worry way more about what food I eat. Something that is actually important.

Edited by ReconRat

give her a mixer, laugh and tell her to go back to the kitchen...

I am trying to get Hellmutt to keep his ZX14, so he can go fast.

but, seriously...

There is a reason why several members here ride more track than street,one is the track has medical staff on stand by.

Another option is teach her to ride so she understands why it is so important.

Edited by snot

She's still only giving you blow jobs cause she's still a fiancé. Remember that.

Also, she will get fat and irritating and be a real fucking shithead. Year two will be even worse. You'll be divorced by year 4, by then you'll have sold your inexplicable choice in drag racing bikes for hookers specilaizing in blow jobs anyway so this is all a moot point.

Statistics are too easily manipulated. 

The simple fact is that 99% of things worth doing involve 'unnecessary' risks.   If you want to live a 'necessary' life, then check yourself into a mental health facility.  They'll do their best to make sure you don't hurt yourself.

Anybody have any facts - that the can back up with websites etc - that show the risks and possibly of being hurt or killed drag racing motorcycles on an NRAA sanctioned track?

I've looked and can't find squat. Fiancé wants me to quit racing my fz1 at the track because she's worried I'll get hurt. I have a snell 2015 cert helmet, all other gear has CE Armor and is Joe Rocket, Dainese, & Alpinestars. Pants, jacket, high top boots & gloves.

I think I'm more likely to be scraped off the road by another cager in all honestly.

double thumbin' it!

Next up (especially if you say the last line out loud)....she is going to be uncomfortable with the bike in general.

Should be as simple as saying you love the track and take the necessary safety precautions.