Knife and edged weapon course

kawi kid

Valkyrie Defense Group is hosting a Suarez International HITS-8 Defensive Knife Course. It will be held in Coshocton on November 14th.

More details can be found here. http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/151114-defensive-knife-coshocton-oh.aspx#.Vio54BbD_qD

I took this class in spring and was so impressed I wanted to make sure this info got out to more people. Valkyrie Defense Group makes nothing off this class we are just trying to provide better and more accessible information to everyone.

Why would you ever need a class on defensive knife? Do you ever go anywhere that your gun isn't allowed but your knife is welcome? I do. Also if we look at the statics of a lethal threat engagement it is very likely that it will be very close quarters to the point where your gun might not be accessible or feasible to get to.

One of my biggest takeaways from this class was a closer look at violence. I thought I knew violence, I teach it every weekend. I was wrong. This opens your eyes to a whole new world of violence and something I describe as targeting. Different tools required different deployment and different target areas. You will learn a ton.

There will be training knives there so you don't need to run out and buy one. Also if you don't have what you think is a perfect knife for defensive matters this class will also teach you what to look for in a defensive knife as well.

Any questions just put them below or shoot me a message on here or Facebook.

• Upvote 3

Valkyrie Defense Group is hosting a Suarez International HITS-8 Defensive Knife Course. It will be held in Coshocton on November 14th.

More details can be found here. http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/151114-defensive-knife-coshocton-oh.aspx#.Vio54BbD_qD

I took this class in spring and was so impressed I wanted to make sure this info got out to more people. Valkyrie Defense Group makes nothing off this class we are just trying to provide better and more accessible information to everyone.

Why would you ever need a class on defensive knife? Do you ever go anywhere that your gun isn't allowed but your knife is welcome? I do. Also if we look at the statics of a lethal threat engagement it is very likely that it will be very close quarters to the point where your gun might not be accessible or feasible to get to.

One of my biggest takeaways from this class was a closer look at violence. I thought I knew violence, I teach it every weekend. I was wrong. This opens your eyes to a whole new world of violence and something I describe as targeting. Different tools required different deployment and different target areas. You will learn a ton.

There will be training knives there so you don't need to run out and buy one. Also if you don't have what you think is a perfect knife for defensive matters this class will also teach you what to look for in a defensive knife as well.

Any questions just put them below or shoot me a message on here or Facebook.

You teach a class, claiming sometimes you can't carry a pistol yet a knife is welcome, yet with no mention of Ohio's ridiculously strict and vague "deadly weapon" laws? That seems pretty irresponsible, coming from an "expert. "

• Downvote 1

Good luck with that.

On top of Ohio's stupid "deadly weapon" laws, you've got each and every city and municipality with their own "blade length" laws.

Then we're safe right? Criminals can hide it we can hide it.

Ohio legislation talked about an over-riding state law for knives. It was in the news. But I find nothing pending. The only thing the state currently has is a definition of terms.

What Ohio doesn't want, is concealed weapons. Almost all knives are legal if visible in a sheath. Don't push your luck with a switchblade, butterfly knife, bowie, or Arkansas toothpick. Most local jurisdictions have specific laws against those. The bowie and Arkansas toothpick have too much history behind them, they were made for the purpose of knife fighting. Running around with a Samurai katana on your back should also be avoided...

As said by others, there will still be stops, questioning, accusations, confiscation and arrests to contend with.

In Ohio, I can go anywhere with a Swiss army utility knife in my pocket. In Florida, even that is questionable.

You teach a class, claiming sometimes you can't carry a pistol yet a knife is welcome, yet with no mention of Ohio's ridiculously strict and vague "deadly weapon" laws? That seems pretty irresponsible, coming from an "expert. "

Thanks for giving me the title of "expert" even if you are trying to be snarky. I dont like that title because it infers that I have learned all need to know and I believe if you are done learning you have failed all your future students.

I didn't mention Ohio's muddy and murky laws because it is covered in the class. But since you brought it up...

Having talked to many law enforcement officers that have been associated with Valkyrie Defense Group it seems to boil down to the intent when it comes to the knife. Take that as you will. I'm not teaching this class as I said above. We are hosting a class with another training company. I have done most of my training in handgun and handgun combatives which is where my "expertise" lies. I tend to stay in my lane which is why we bring in outside instructors to teach varying skillsets. That being said my schedule for next year is looking to be more in the land of open hand and extreme close quarters engagements as well as some other instructor level classes to add to the current certifications.

Thanks for your concern.

• Upvote 3

Maybe BadTrainDriver needs a bike again - not sure where else the sandy folds are coming from.

Having talked to many law enforcement officers that have been associated with Valkyrie Defense Group it seems to boil down to the intent when it comes to the knife. 

IANAL either, but that's what I heard from the couple of cop friends I talked to.  Knife appearance, length and opening mechanism influence the cop's discretion.  What you're doing at the time of discovery has a bearing on it, and yes, your own appearance and age can as well.  I doubt a cop is going to slam compliant grandpa with a gentleman's folder against the ground unless grandpa is robb'n, kill'n and steal'n at the time.  Conversely, an opinionated young punk with a spring-assisted 3" blade in a tacticool handle might have some 'splaining to do.  Personally I prefer not to carry spring-assisted folders unless they're short like the smaller SOG Flash (which makes a great wire stripper for an electronics professional BTW).  Even better if they have an engaged lock feature.  Flippers are probably OK if they're well below the 3" mark.  Anything bigger gets hung on the outside of my pants, and in all cases, if a cop "engages me," I'm going to take the first calm opportunity to politely inform him with hands clearly visible that I have a pocket knife in my front right pocket and then ask him how he wishes to proceed.  Respect for his safety can go a long way in demonstrating benign intent.

Again, IANAL and YMMV, but those are my thoughts.

I really wish I could attend this training!

• Upvote 1

I make no apologies for my previous statements, except Kawi Kid was correct...I shouldn't have used the term expert. The correct term I should have used is professional. No snarkness meant.

I find his statement "Do you ever go anywhere that your gun isn't allowed but your knife is welcome?" both incorrect and irresponsible from someone who profits teaching others self defense.

Do you want to learn to knife fight? Fine. Just don't go around making statements that could potentially get an otherwise ignorant(to the law) in serious trouble.

With that said, Kawi Kid has address the issue I brought up...and while I don't personally know him, I take him at his word that he will do the right thing.