How Do You Clean Your Suit?

wantahertzdonut

I need some pointers on cleaning my race suit. Specifically the inside since it usually gets sweaty, especially after yesterday's supermoto day where it was 97deg out. It's now also super dusty. It's a Spidi suit. I thought it was a bad idea to get leather suits wet or I'd just spray it with a hose. Anyone have any suggestions or can I just spray it off with water?

All I've ever done is blow air through mine with a 4" duct fan after getting home from the track.  Let it sit for a day or two with air circulating through it, done.

Bought some of the Lexol leather cleaner, but it turned brown and putrid after a few months of sitting on the shelf.  

Don't think washing it down would hurt, ridden in the rain a few times.

Your spidi have a removable liner?  mind didn't till it started to rip out after much abuse, now it is nearly fully removed

I'll see if the liner is removable. If it is I'll wash it by hand. The outside I'll wipe with a sponge or wet rag.

In the event the liner isn't removable, I know febreezing is an option for tye smell but after saturating it with sweat on a couple occasions I'd really like to get it clean. Plus it's now dusty from supermoto thanks to a couple falls in the dirt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Those of you who are just air drying or blow drying your suits--  think twice about it.   Always send your stuff to a professional like Bill or Lizzy.

Otherwise, you're just turning your suit into beef jerky.  (Think about it:  cow hide + salt curing + air drying = jerky)

A soft and supple suit is a comfortable suit.   It also gives you a chance to have that knee Velcro replaced, or that collar removed that has been digging into your neck all season!

Edited by LongDogRacing

Usually just get the cleaning done when I have repairs made.  Otherwise you can toss em in the washer and hang dry.  Condition the leather after.  Some handwash in the bathtub with gentle leather cleaner