Today(or recently) in Weird News Thread.

motocat12

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

No one wants their kid to get made fun of...but you know what?  Kids need to face disappointment and adversity in increasing levels before they reach adult age and have to face real problems in the real world.  It creates real-life, useful coping skills.

If they don't you tend to get fragile, unsure, young adults that crumble when thing don't go their....well, you get millennials.  

Yea one of the tough love lesson i try to pass on to my kids is that "you are nobody special, if you was respect and or notoriety you need to earn it on your own"

Ive been told by others that i'm going to give my kid a complex by telling them that they aren't special. I do tell them they are special to us just not to the world. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Yea one of the tough love lesson i try to pass on to my kids is that "you are nobody special, if you was respect and or notoriety you need to earn it on your own"

Ive been told by others that i'm going to give my kid a complex by telling them that they aren't special. I do tell them they are special to us just not to the world. 

I think too many parents think it's their job to try to be their kids' best friend.  Being friends is fine, but they'll make friends.  They need parents.  

I think my # 1 job as a parent is to raise capable, well adjusted, young adults.  Life lessons, tough love, dealing with disappointment is all part of that.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I think too many parents think it's their job to try to be their kids' best friend.  Being friends is fine, but they'll make friends.  They need parents.  

I think my # 1 job as a parent is to raise capable, well adjusted, young adults.  Life lessons, tough love, dealing with disappointment is all part of that.   

Bingo. My oldest just moved out so I'm going through a tough one right now. And of course I'm the asshole in the situation because I'm trying to tell her how to do things so she doesn't fail. She'll figure it out I guess. Ive done what I can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 12:49 PM, Tpoppa said:

On 11/30/2018 at 1:01 PM, 2talltim said:

Bingo. My oldest just moved out so I'm going through a tough one right now. And of course I'm the asshole in the situation because I'm trying to tell her how to do things so she doesn't fail. She'll figure it out I guess. Ive done what I can.

I don't think either of your kids are quite at the age where they start realizing their parents were right..... about everything. When that day comes, they will be eating humble pie until they work up the courage to pick up the phone or come see you in person to tell you "you were right...... about everything."

I had that moment, I think most kids raised right do.

• Upvote 1

Autonomous driving. I think they are missing the big picture. Lets not save healthy people to save sick people.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/state-news/autonomous-future-report-projects-14b-shortfall-in-road-maintenance-job-displacement/1666368936

The organ donor industry also has concerns over the projected drop in accidents, as a portion of the organs received and then used to save another individual’s life come as a result of a tragic fatal car accident.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-dominos-pizza-blind-website-app-20190116-story.html

Domino's Pizza legally required to make app and website accessible for blind people

Making a website or app usable by blind people is trivial, and the law. Fuck Domino's, and Casper.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27410366/elija-godwin-sprinter-impaled-javelin/

an unthrown javelin. 

University of Georgia sprinter Elija Godwin was impaled during practice on May 7 when he was running backwards and ran into a javelin sticking out of the ground.

I always thought Weird Al should do a cover of Video killed the radio star- javelin killed the track and field star. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 8:40 AM, Pauly said:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/mom-stabbed-son-6-multiple-times-said-he-deserved-it-court-papers-say

I can't hang a fishing pole over the bank without a license, but this bitch is allowed to create life. 

Skip jail, go right to the chair. Fuck that woman.