Possible move to Kansas City.

Ziggy

Hey y'all! I'm looking at potentially moving to Kansas City in the next 45 days or so (relocating for promotion) and was hoping to get a little bit of insight on the area. I was out for two days this week to interview, and drove around a bit to check out the area. Been doing some research online, and trying to figure out if I got the job, where would I want to set down roots. Maybe someone familiar with the area could chime in, and make some recommendations for good and bad areas to look? The employment location is on the West side of the city on West 45th St. Was thinking that since my job would be on the Kansas side, I'd probably want my house to be too, but I'm not completely opposed to Missouri. Only beef I've got with Missouri at this point is the fact that Kansas doesn't require a front plate, and apparently Missouri does. Ideally, I'd like to stay within 30 miles or so of 66106. Looking for good schools, kids are 10th and 7th grade, and if I can come up with a couple of acres of property, that'd be awesome! Realtor websites can only help so much.

Congrats on the promotion and move. I traveled to KC once a moth for around 10 years with work and always liked the place.

They are really going strong with a revitalization of their downtown area, loads of condos and urban style homes are being built in the area just north of downtown on either side of I-70. Dunno if you're into that scene or want a more traditional suburban style home. My guess would be that the schools near downtown suck, but I could be wrong.

One piece of good advice I have is: Jack Stack BBQ's Burnt Ends. Freakin' heaven!  They have several locations but the coolest one is by the train tracks near town - on 22nd Street. Great patio out back and nice inside as well. See: http://www.jackstackbbq.com/ 

Good luck with the move and new job!

Thanks for the tip on Jack Stack's.  I'm still waiting on the word from the hiring manager.  All I know at this point is that I've made the final cut, and it's down to me and two other candidates.  At least one of the two others won't require any relocation assistance from the company, so I'm sure that's weighing heavily on the decision. If all the cards fall my way, I'll be looking for a rural subdivision type of neighborhood.  You know, preferably someplace with neighbors, but 1-2 acre lots.  Hoping I can find something like that within 30 or so miles of the city.