TheBrown's Kawasaki Street Fighter Build Log

TheBrown57

Thanks to a good friend of mine I am working my way back on to two wheels! He moved to Cleveland recently and decided to give me his old bike. He hadn't ridden it in over a year and said he knew I would give it the love it deserved.

On to the pics!!!

It's a 1996 Kawasaki ZX6E (ZZR600 if I am correct)

It's definitely not the prettiest bike right now but I'll get that fixed once shes back up and running again.

Here she is the day I picked her up from his house. I am storing and doing the work at a friends house near by since I live in an apartment.

04B3BD32-D8ED-4CE1-9A38-946C2F221A54_zps

90AC465A-56CA-4B98-A5DF-66BE2A6E5E77_zps

2C1C0FA3-DBFC-4949-B27D-385D13A21C6A_zps

He also included the "Box O' Parts" he had for the bike when he first got it. 

5BB047CB-B7DF-47AB-B096-78534C59BCE9_zps

7EF994F0-F58E-4687-B97C-0155CFB16A13_zps

B8FC2D1D-7D33-434B-91C2-79C825EAF6F2_zps

First on the list to strip just about everything down and flush the fluids. All the electrical works but I didn't want to attempt to turn it over since it's been sitting for so long.

That's all I have for now but i will be updating this as I build her back up. 

Messed with it a little yesterday. Was mainly tearing it down to check on a couple things. Found out I have a decent amount of plastics still for it so I don't think I will be going the full Street Fighter look but it will be partially naked. 

On to some pics!

Going to find some tail plastics since the ones I have are broken and going to clean up the upper fairing and cowl. Going to sand down the portion where the lower fairing would connect to so it doesn't look like it is missing that piece. Also planning on doing straight pipes for a bit then eventually getting 2 Two Brothers mufflers.

CAB943C2-2861-4595-A85B-F3D119DADBF6_zps
9130ED67-F934-4A09-8DFF-3DD842B92585_zps

Going to need to fiberglass this piece back together

C815F30E-77D7-4235-8EBD-C4381CA6B69E_zps

That's one way to hold a turn signal in place

08C25CAF-A5CA-40C2-92BE-B3A5597159E3_zps

I wanted to see how the air box looked.

82318C92-C167-492F-8794-5248DE00A3E8_zps
AFFAA0A3-83E5-49FC-9D5C-2F290763E8AB_zps

And it really didn't look all that bad!
This was how far I got before I was running out of daylight and had to pack it up

112542D9-B779-41A6-B9D1-CC9E2B7C500B_zps
1DAA6D0F-90A7-4382-9039-864065BEC672_zps

Battery was shot so I removed it and the tray looks pretty clean aside from some random crap

A60E4DE5-157D-45D4-8AE0-A1AAF628C2B8_zps

Edited by TheBrown57

Congrats on the project bike. When i was shopping for plastics fkr my fzr i ran into the problem with i could find them but people wanted a arm and leg for anything having to do with fairing parts. I got pretty creative with spare broken pieces and abs cement.

Thanks guys! It's great to be messing with a bike again that's mine.

Oh, and get the right side of that subframe fixed up. Looks like it took quite a dinger to the lower leg just behind where it bolts to the mainframe

I'll take a closer picture of it next time I'm working on it but I don't think it's as bad as it looks in the picture above. Someone had spray painted parts of the frame black so where it's been scratched up it looks way worse than it actually is.

If it's only been sitting a year or two I wouldn't hesitate to try and start it after some fresh gas, it's not going to hurt it.

If you run straight pipes, you're gonna have a bad time. Open exhaust, especially on a motor tuned to run dual stock mufflers, will make this bike run for shit. Keep or gut the cans You have until you can buy what you want.

• Upvote 1

If it's only been sitting a year or two I wouldn't hesitate to try and start it after some fresh gas, it's not going to hurt it.

If you run straight pipes, you're gonna have a bad time. Open exhaust, especially on a motor tuned to run dual stock mufflers, will make this bike run for shit. Keep or gut the cans You have until you can buy what you want.

I plan on messing with it more this weekend so I'll pick up a battery and give it a shot. I'll take your advice and just gut the stock cans for now.

• 6 months later...

Well I threw the new battery in and she cranks over just fine. Now just need to get her to start. Noticed the bowls on each carb were leaking after attempting to start a few times and that if I put it in 1st and hold the clutch it doesn't want to let me roll it.

027b7f30087b74130699758d353c7ef5.jpg

Go over the clutch, make sure it's adjusted properly. If not, you may have an explody transmission or I've seen clutch plates corrode onto each other and lock up before. I've also seen motors sieze at high speed and the momentum shred transmission and clutch. 

Check cable and adjust, or if it's hydro, replace fluid and bleed. If still no joy, drain oil and remove clutch cover, see if anything grenaded in there. 

Shake motor, listen for jingles.

Well it tried to start with some starting fluid so I decided to check the spark plugs. Looks like I need a thin wall socket to get them out.

Took off the ignition coils to check them with the new plugs I have waiting to go in. Found that coil for cylinder 2 and 3 is iffy about wanting to spark so I'm going to order some new ones.

On 4/4/2016 at 7:37 PM, TheBrown57 said:

...after attempting to start a few times and that if I put it in 1st and hold the clutch it doesn't want to let me roll it.

Not an uncommon problem in wet clutch assemblies that have sat for a long time.  Had the same issue with an old Z1A that was thrown down the road and had been sitting in the back of a friend's garage for a decade or more.  The clutch plates basically freeze together--old thick oil, rust, oxidation--and the release springs don't have enough pressure to force them apart.  Once I got the motor running, I actually had to get the bike rolling and drop it into 1st and then take it up the street banging shifts thru 2-3-4-5 under power while holding the clutch lever in.  It eventually came free and worked flawlessly from then on.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to pull the plates and either soak 'em to loosen them or replace with new.  Also, if you're not familiar with the tranny in Kaws, they all have a 1st-2nd lockout--a simple spring-loaded ball detent--that prevents the shift forks from selecting 2nd gear from neutral unless the bike is moving.

Edited by Bubba
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I hope you removed all rubber and plastic pieces before putting them in the dip or you're gonna have some splainin to do.

Of course! 

It was actually super easy to get the carbs off which was a nice surprise.