Happy to be alive

GixxerTravis

13 hours ago, wolfeman28 said:

Did you have a lawyer for this? You are due much more than current medical bills and $1k....

Failure to yield is a criminal (traffic) citation.

In a criminal offense, the victim is only entitled to actual damages.  If his insurance covered medical bills, then he's due the deductible, and nothing else.  

It sounds like you're talking about recovering civil penalties, which would require a civil lawsuit.

5 hours ago, redkow97 said:

In a criminal offense, the victim is only entitled to actual damages.  If his insurance covered medical bills, then he's due the deductible, and nothing else.  

It sounds like you're talking about recovering civil penalties, which would require a civil lawsuit.

Yep was referring to civil. What made me ask was the fact that he signed some agreement, does that prevent a civil suit?

Glad to hear you're on the mend Travis, physically and mentally.  

I'll definitely help my wife handling/taking donations.  Does anyone know how the GoFundMe site setups work?  Are they taxable at all, or considered nontaxable to a certain amount?  

Seems it would make it easier for more of us to help him directly.

EDIT

According to their support center Q&A, it's tax free unless a substantial amount is received - then it could be deemed taxable income.  No straight answer is given, just that some specific cases may prove taxable.

Either way, even if he gets a 1099 next year, he needs the money now.

EDIT

I've pm'd Travis to see if this is an option he's even willing to accept, but hopefully he does as this would allow more of us to help him out

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2016 at 11:00 AM, redkow97 said:

Exactly what happened

9 minutes ago, GixxerTravis said:

I have some amazing news among all the negativity in my life.... 

My fiance and I are expecting an addition to our family in September!!! It's great news, this will be my first born

I can't think of a better motivation for me to kick ass on getting better to be able to play with that baby as it grows

Oh hell yea Travis!  Dude, as you damned well know, that is the most incredible and important thing you will do in your life, hands down.  Your son or daughter will challenge in you in ways you can't possibly anticipate now, but without you there, rising to the challenges, they will not have their true dad in their lives.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that my own "surprise" daughter, now 19, has saved my life and focussed me on what's important more times than I can count over the years.

A huge and sincere congratulations to you and your fiancee, Travis!

• Upvote 4

On February 21, 2016 at 9:48 PM, GixxerTravis said:

I have some amazing news among all the negativity in my life.... 

My fiance and I are expecting an addition to our family in September!!! It's great news, this will be my first born

I can't think of a better motivation for me to kick ass on getting better to be able to play with that baby as it grows

Wow dude that is great news.  Congrats to you and your fiancé!

Hey man glad to hear you recovered and a new addition to the family!!

It's crazy how many people got injured last year. My buddy had the same exact thing happen to him in the metro parks. A guy didn't notice him making the corner and pulled into a parking spot last mili-second and my buddy t-boned his passenger side door. Broke both hands and right wrist in 4 different places on the car, punctured lung/liver and few cracked ribs I believe. Couldn't remember who his parent were when he woke up 3 days later but has since made a full recovery! Will post pics of the damage if I can find them but thank goodness everything was ok. Ride safe y'all!