How do you tie down your bike?

Casper

Like others, no need to strap it down, use kickstand for most situations, center stand when doing work on it.

b8a1777c05cf97fd2612af7b7b08e568.jpg
Why? Because I never trailer my bike anywhere?

No need for straps when you've got gyroscopic motion.

Edited by magley64

I don't know how this is even a discussion anymore...

The Pit-Bull trailer restraint system is bomb-proof.  Unless your bike doesn't have a compatible axle, there's no reason to use anything else.  If your bike doesn't have a hollow axle, Pit-Bull will machine a 'cup' that your axle nut and bolt fit in, and then the 'pin' sits inside said 'cup.'  I have only seen this solution implemented for the Ninja 250 racing crowd, but the theory would work fine for basically any bike I can think of.

I don't know how this is even a discussion anymore...

The Pit-Bull trailer restraint system is bomb-proof.  Unless your bike doesn't have a compatible axle, there's no reason to use anything else.  If your bike doesn't have a hollow axle, Pit-Bull will machine a 'cup' that your axle nut and bolt fit in, and then the 'pin' sits inside said 'cup.'  I have only seen this solution implemented for the Ninja 250 racing crowd, but the theory would work fine for basically any bike I can think of.

Because a lot of people don't want to pay 300 for a stand and drill 6 large holes in their $40k truck bed. ;)

That, and it's 2 seconds to throw a strap through the front wheel if this is actually a concern for you.

I did that just to keep my bars straight, but tightening up the damper would have done the same thing...

Pauly's issue with transporting multiple bikes is understandable in his situation, but honestly, I think multiple pin sets would be a good investment for most shops. The liability of having a bike fall in the trailer isn't worth the risk.

As for putting holes in your truck bed, you can cut a bed-shaped piece of treated 1" plywood and attach the plate to that.

+1 on Pitbull TRS, I'll never go back to straps. In a truck I can understand not wanting to drill holes but most trucks have the bed bolted down to the frame from the top, so just make a bracket that utilizes those bolts and I'm sure it would be bulletproof. 

And now for something different...  (well different than what I've seen before.)

This is the TyreDown. I's an Aussie invention. I got mine from Lockitt.com for $120. The folding trailer and the front chock are from Harbor Freight (OK, and the ramp and wheel chocks, tie downs, and D-rings are also from HF.)

I really like this approach because it allows the bike suspension to help dampen the bumps. And it was cheap.

TyreDown.JPG

Why did I buy / build the trailer rather than ride the bike to New York? - Because when you're taking the wife to visit her folks, who live right on some awesome roads, and the choice is trailer the bike or leave the bike home...

Edited by Shoop

We strap the majority of the bike's weight at the rear pegs, which cinches the front into the wheel chock nice and tight -- that way the canyon dancers are only needed to keep the front down a bit and from swaying much.  Sure it takes longer to load/unload, but the bikes are damage free when we arrive.  This is the best method I've found for our sportbikes.  I've a fear of blowing fork seals, and bikes swaying around.  

My bike has never tried to stray. We have a pretty good relationship...

I keep it pretty simple. Harbor freight wheel chock. A couple soft eye loops on each handlebar and some ratchet straps. If I'm going any distance I'll put a strap on both rear corners.

Been doing it for years and never had an issue. I put just enough tension on the front to keep it from moving side to side, I don't like compressing the forks more than necessary.

I've gotten to the point where I use 2 straps off the passenger pegs and 2 wrapped around the wheels and the chock/channel/board the bike is on. The wheels wrapped keep the bike from moving up and down, straps on the pegs keep it stable side to side and cinched forward into the chock.