New rider and member

shakee

I live in jackson county in southeast Ohio. I just started riding in May and was lurking on here a bit before I decided to join. I ride a Suzuki GZ250 for now and am enjoying the beautiful places these hills contain around here. Glad to be a part of this community.

• Upvote 1

Welcome!

Great first bike choice, too. Glad to see a new rider starting out on that bike rather than running out and buying a new R1 as their first scoot.

You live in a perfect area to hone your riding skills while enjoying some fantastic countryside.

Have fun with it!

Welcome to the forums! Remember to learn to walk before running. Don't rush your learning process and don't get over your head. Ride a pace that is comfortable to you and not necessarily the pace of the guy in front. Keep safe and ALWAYS wear gear.

The rest will fall into place with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my Motorcycle endorsement about 3 weeks ago. I have put around 1200 miles on the bike since I got it and feel more confident on it each day. My longest ride to date was to Hillbilly Hotdogs in WV. We rode to Hocking Hills not long after I got my permit and learned alot about curves. I do wear a half helmet and a Vega mesh armored jacket but havent got any pants yet. Anyone ever make it down here to the hills?

Jason - Welcome to the forum!

Most of the guys on here are exceptionally envious of the roads that you live near.

The EPIC ride that you're hearing about has sometimes been held in Logan, but this ride on 9/12 and the most recent one (or two?) start/started from New Concord OH which for you is a 2-hr ride to get to the meeting spot.

Post on the EPIC ride thread if you decide to go. I and maybe others from the south east areas could meet up with you in Athens.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I'm local. I live off 139 just into scioto county. Message me sometime if your out and about.

Nice bike, I had one of those for awhile. They share a lot of top end engine parts with the same model year quads. I rebuilt an 06???? GZ250 using top end parts from a junked quad. Super comfy bikes. .

I got my Motorcycle endorsement about 3 weeks ago. I have put around 1200 miles on the bike since I got it and feel more confident on it each day. My longest ride to date was to Hillbilly Hotdogs in WV. We rode to Hocking Hills not long after I got my permit and learned alot about curves. I do wear a half helmet and a Vega mesh armored jacket but havent got any pants yet. Anyone ever make it down here to the hills?

I read somewhere that 70% of helmet impacts are on the chin bar.  That said, at least you're wearing one, even if it's not a full-face. :)

welcome aboard!

Get some quality boots if you don't have any. Make sure they go over your ankle and preferably cover your shin. Padded pants are a good idea too.

Also, welcome!

Like most everyone is saying, you need to wear gear.  A full face helmet is best and ALWAYS wear gloves.   The first you thing you are going to do in a crash is put out your hands.  Imagine if you were to crash and get serious rash on your hands, what would you do?  

If somehow you got rash on your legs, that would suck, but you could still function.   You get serious rash on your hands and you are basically incapacitated.   

Yeah. Half helmets are pretty useless in a crash. A quality modular helmet is a decent compromise. Not that I care, but education is key. Either way, good on you for doing things the legit way. You may be salvageable. Lol

I have never impacted the chin bar, but i've destroyed 2 shields while tumbling/rolling after initial impact.

I used one as a visual aid in a presentation where I pushed law enforcement agencies to supply motorcycle officers with modular helmets and real riding pants/jackets/gloves.

I have never impacted the chin bar, but i've destroyed 2 shields while tumbling/rolling after initial impact.

I used one as a visual aid in a presentation where I pushed law enforcement agencies to supply motorcycle officers with modular helmets and real riding pants/jackets/gloves.

I scraped up the chin of my helmet once. If I had a half helmet I probably wouldn't have broken anything but you never know. 

They gotta look cool.

Their uniforms are modeled after horse-mounted officers.  The boots make that quite apparent. 

I need to get back on top of that 'project' and sit down with some LEO's to find out what they would actually wear, if it were offered.   It's always going to be a compromise of form and function, but I think there is definitely room to improve the foot/ankle protection, get LEO's into armored textile pants, real riding gloves, and some mesh/textile options for hot and cold weather.  Modular helmets should be a no-brainer, IMHO.

Personally, I would push for high-visibility accents on the riding gear (i.e. dayglow yellow), but I don't know if departments will go for that.

step 2 would be to get American cops to buy a VFR rather than a Harley...