2007-2009 Camry 4 cylinder

Bad324

Anybody have one of these and experience excessive oil consumption? 

Anybody have any other horror stories that I should shy away from the model? Found one last night that is real low miles and right in my wheel house of price to pay cash so looking for experiences before I buy tonight

Edited by Bad324

Oil consumption only becomes a problem once the oil has been turned to a thick fibery sludge. Run synthetic change it a little early and do not worry about it. A cold start will tell you if it has problems...look for smoke at startup.

I just happened to google common issues and that was the big one they noted on the Camry 4 cylinder so it had me a tad worried especially because the old lady id be buying from really can't tell me much other than she always had the oil changed at 3000 miles and it was mainly parked in her garage for the winter because she was afraid to drive it in the winter

it will be the most reliable most soul crushingly boring car you'll ever have the honor of owning.

Coming from DD'ing full size trucks and suv's for the last 6 years it can't be anymore boring than that. I need a cheap warhorse high mpg daily so that I can now take full advantage of my 3 car garage and finally get a damn C5 or '68 Firebird

I never really cared if cars were fun to drive.  It's just a tool to get people and stuff from A to B.  I'm good as long as it starts every time.

Fun happens on 2 wheels with my face in the wind.

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

Not a fan of the C6 really. C7 is what I reallllllly want but unless I get an ultra low mileage lease it probably isn't happening

how can you like the c5 but not the c6? they're basically identical looking other than headlights... well, except the c6 is more awesome. like, in every way.

The only oil consumption issue I've ever encountered on a Toyota was bad valve guides.

It would smoke on start up after a long trip for about 10 seconds. Never fixed it, just kept an eye on the oil.

This was on the 3.4 L V6.

All I require is a manual transmission and decent (not broken) suspension. I chased down several sportbikes at DG with the Eco. I believe that road is more fun in a car.

I agree.  Give me just about anything with a manual and I can have fun in it.  A slushbox just makes me want to go to sleep. 

Iirc most the issues happened on late 90s early 00s motors. Mostly caused by failure to ever let the engine get to operating temp. The wife's 02 v6 highlander gets driven 3 miles round trip to and from her work usually just when its really cold or raining or she has to take our daughter somewhere after work but its the vehicle of choice for when we go see friends in canton a couple times of month to let the engine oil get warm and stay warm for a while.

We've had no problems with hers and its got 92k on it. Had 90k on it when we bought it last November.