PCV vs Re-Flash

wrenchandsprockets

Hey guys, I'd like to get some feedback on this topic. Anecdotal, specific facts, etc... what has been your experience with having your ecu reflashed (Ivan's, Rexxer, Guru...) vs going thru a specific process of buying a power commander (or bazzaz, cobra, etc)  & dyno tuning?

Back in 2009 I had my 09 R6 reflashed. Doing so matched everything that the YEC ECU did.  I also had a PC that I used to dial in the motor on the dyno. This worked for me and was cheaper than going the YEC route.

The Yamaha R6's needed to have the ECU's refreshed if you really wanted to unlock lost Hp. I'm not sure how the newer bikes are since I have been out of the game since 2011.

• Upvote 1

I had my Connie re-flashed by Guhl, and I like it. I only have a slip on exhaust. The real reason for my re-flash was to open up secondary butterfly valves earlier. It made a noticeable performance upgrade at lower RPMs.

Some pc's change fuel mapping, ignition timing, few sensor inputs... when needed. What about the ability to adapt these values for the changes a rider is going to make? To get close with a singular reflash, add the rest of the custom programming... sounds awesome. But how close, consistantly? If you're doing just the typ filter & pipe, could it be easier to get a one & done reflash? Both being ideal, but more $$.

The correct answer is all of the above. It depends on the bike. A liter bike that was de-tuned by the factory to keep people from killing themselves will need an ECU flash to unleash it.  A big rolling couch like my bike hasn't had that done...so a PC that hits timing and fuel will do everything that can be done....assuming a good dyno guy.

Also depends on what the bikes ECU is capable of.  My Triumph Sprint and most of the 1050 motor'd Triumphs have an OBDII connector on them and you can custom map the bikes ECU just like you would a powercommander.  You just need the right software and a dyno and you are good to go.  My Ducati has the PCIII on it and a custom map.  I had tried a pre-made tune and it wasn't anywhere near correct for my bike so I had a full custom map made while on the dyno.

As a side thought because I don't know if this plays into your question.  I would stay away from most generic tunes/flashes.  They may be close enough to correct and should be good for getting you to the dyno but I wouldn't flash an ECU and then blindly trust it will not harm your engine. Both of the internet "Ideal" tunes I downloaded for my bikes were actually pretty far from good once on the dyno.  Take it and get it checked out when your done to verify.