Looking for a new bike

HeavyDuty

I have decided to trade in my 2012 FLSTC (little over 33000 miles on it) on a new upgrade the Harley dealer offered me $12.000 in trade. The bike is already paid off so that would all go to the new bike. BUT the bike I wanted was $17.000 more than the trade in. So screw that deal and after talking it over with the wife we have decided to keep the Harley we have now and buy a new Kawasaki strait out. So Thursday we start our search for a 2015 VULCAN® 1700 VOYAGER® ABS priced at around $17.000 also. Any suggestions on dealers that will let wife and I the take one for a test ride. I will not buy from a dealer that says no to a test ride unless they really come down on price. We will start at State 8 in the falls it looks like they have one in the color I want in stock and it is closet to our house.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Vulcan-1700-Voyager-ABS

Unless their policy has changed, State 8 doesn't allow road tests.

I was looking at a Star there, but they told me that, then let me turn the bike on and saw the brand new bike I wasn't allowed to test ride had over 100 miles on it, so I left.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If columbus isn't unreasonable from a travel perspective, I'd call the Iron Pony/Pony Powersports and ask them. I've had a few very good purchasing experiences there. I'm pretty sure they offered a test ride, but I can't remember for certain. I think I remember them telling me that if you were truly a serious buyer, they would, but had to weed out joy riders.

Shit man, you can test drive mine. No changes between the 13's and the 15's. If you go used do not get anything older than a '12. There were some changes that you will want.

You should not pay more than 16K for that bike, time it right as I did and it was 15,500 and that included some shipping. There weren't any nearby so I had it shipped to Ohio Motorcycle just days before they closed down.

Kennedy's in Elyria does not have one, Roush should have one....dunno about State 8.

And try J and J in Massilon I bought a used Kawasaki there, they have a really good reputation.

http://www.jandjcycle.com/

Yep, I have purchased a few bikes there and will gladly go back.

You could also try Johnny K's power sports, I know the owner and a few of the employees. They are all nice to deal with.

Edited by blue03636

Roush is a volume dealer and have great prices on new bikes. They suck with used and service.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. Their prices on 99% of everything new is msrp and they don't wiggle one bit. Even after my family buying at least 10 bikes and quads from them.

I was just at j&j over the weekend and I don't think I saw any vulcans...they do have a really nice m109r tho, and those bikes have a ton of power compared to the Vulcan.

You are comparing a single seat cruiser to a full blown long distance touring bike. I don't think he wants power, I think he wants luggage space and comfort for the little woman.

I was just at j&j over the weekend and I don't think I saw any vulcans...they do have a really nice m109r tho, and those bikes have a ton of power compared to the Vulcan.

Those are bad ass. I was chasing a guy on one, and he had some kind of peg feeler on them and was making mad sparks. And it pulled out of corners like nobody's business

That's a good find. It has the pillow top seats on it, which are comfy as hell but cuts down on passenger room by about 2 inches though.  Something to watch for.

Those are bad ass. I was chasing a guy on one, and he had some kind of peg feeler on them and was making mad sparks. And it pulled out of corners like nobody's business

Bah, don't need no stinking peg feelers. Real men use the frame.

post-10994-0-20212300-1438620806_thumb.j

I'd have to disagree with you on that. Their prices on 99% of everything new is msrp and they don't wiggle one bit. Even after my family buying at least 10 bikes and quads from them.[/quote

You are doing something wrong.

My brother lives in Toledo and we both like Honda East, but Roush has beaten them every time over the last 7-8 years on new bike prices. Good enough that driving over here has made more sense than buying from Honda East.

Hey Rick. Do a search on Cycle Trader. State 8 has three 2014 leftovers listed at 13,500 and All Season a 2015 for 14,999. Some at call and request price. Good time to dicker with dealers.

Well done asshat. Those 2014's with abs at 13,500 is a freaking steal. Rick needs to drive there right now.  See Brandon if he still works there. Tell him Mr. Kennedy says hi.

A buddy of mines father in law had one. I've never seen a cruiser do a 2nd gear power wheelie before then.

Thanks for the input everyone I will check out the 2014s at State 8 first But cant get there until Thursday. Jim you are the reason why Iam looking at the Voyager in the first place after following you out west I saw what that bike could do for being a bagger.

Better be careful! I hear those bikes like to be washed in hotel parking lots each morning.

Jim's bike is very nice. If I thought of getting another cruiser, I would definitely put one of these near the top of the list.

Thanks for the input everyone I will check out the 2014s at State 8 first But cant get there until Thursday. Jim you are the reason why Iam looking at the Voyager in the first place after following you out west I saw what that bike could do for being a bagger.

Wooo, someone wants to be like me, I'm honored. Won't be long and you will hate everyone and everything.

All bikes have negatives, so lets get them out in the open.  The belt on your bike will be too tight, wait 1000 miles then have me adjust it for you. It is WAY too tight on the factory settings. I am certain of this, it is a universal opinion of hundreds of Voyager owners. For that first 1000 miles you are going to hear a squeal or two on acceleration in 2nd from time to time. Don't worry about it.

The factory tires blow dead goats. They wear out fast and suck. Save your nickles, you will need a rear in 6 to 8k. Front will go 10k or so I replaced my rear at 4k just before our trip out west I hated them so much.  You will want Mich. Commander II's when the time comes. There is an exact size for the front, the rear is a little wider and looks cool. I am getting 20K on a rear, no idea on the front yet but it looks like 30K.

Trans is noisy has hell on shifts, very common in non-Harleys.  Loud shifts save lives is my new motto.

Fuel mileage and total range is lame. 5.3 gallons and 38 or so mpg depending upon your wrist, so gas at 150 is the norm.

Speedo reads 3 miles per hour fast at highway speed. You might have been wondering why we never went on the 5's and 0's when we went out west. It was 77, or 82.....that is why. My spedo was on the 0's and 5's though. No big deal and also very common for jap bikes.

Not a lot of aftermarket stuff. There are pipes, power commanders and air kits. Lots of awesome windshields and seats, highway pegs and grips, but that is about it. Oh, and a trunk rack is extra, there are some nice aftermarket ones but I like the clean look...but miss the extra space of a bag on there.

EDIT:  ON THE WAY HOME STOP AND BUY A LOCK WASHER FOR THE ANTENNA.

Edited by Tonik

Better be careful! I hear those bikes like to be washed in hotel parking lots each morning.

Jim's bike is very nice. If I thought of getting another cruiser, I would definitely put one of these near the top of the list.

The hotel the wife and I stayed at in Rapid City had a bike wash area!!  Hoses, buckets, professional soap, bug remover...towels. It was the best hotel ever.