Windows 10

2talltim

Trying to get used to firefox, very similar to chrome but supposed to be more secure.

It depends on how either are "hardened" by registry settings. There are good guides out there that show how to do each. Where I work, we tightened up Chrome to be more secure and less leaky than IE.

Win ten has ie 11 and the new browser doesnt it? I am waiting until Saturday for enterprise so have not seen the final release.

Has IE and the default browser is Microsoft Edge, haven't opened either one of them yet.

I downloaded it today and messing with it now. I am digging it quite a bit. I like the start menu setup, the task view virtual desktop feature seems handy and the action center for quick access to on/off for wifi,  location, power saver, etc. It also seems to be running a bit faster now, not that my Toshiba Laptop was slow but seems peppier. I'm turned off all the questionable stuff like wifi sense. I'm also not sure about Cortana, don't really like the permissions I'd have to give. All in all, I think I'll like it better than 8.1. Oh, and I think the start up screen is pretty sweet.

Had to wipe the eldest child's laptop back to factory. Got tired of chasing my tail on the bull crap she had on there. Doing all the windows 7 updates now, and will load the 10 when it's done.

Wife's old POS laptop got it, my fairly up to date desktop didn't, still waiting for it to download.  I actually downloaded the .iso from the program that was posted above, but when I went to find it, it was gone!  Searching turned up nothing.  I started the download again, to the same, easy to find, location as last time.  We'll see when I get home.  I'll probably put it on her laptop (that has been sitting unused for months anyway) and see how I like it, first.

I think it throws it into a hidden folder...at least that's what I found when I used the media creation tool and just told it to upgrade right away instead of create a USB bootable installer.  Worked perfectly the two times I've done it so far and it takes a couple hours depending on your ISP speeds.

Edited by r1crusher

It failed on me twice, then just told it to upgrade.  THAT failed on the first try, the second was fine, and I'm now running Windows 10 on my desktop, and the wife's laptop.

So, the Get Windows 10 app says that the X1200 video adapter in my laptop will not work properly.  I've been reading that several people have been using it with the preview version with no problems.  I downloaded the image to a USB drive, as some of them have been suggesting, and reporting that it works) and I'm going to give it a whirl!

I did the desk top Iam on now 3 days ago It was running win 7 easiest upgrade I have ever done and the pc is running a lot faster. But is there a way to get rid of the boot up password since I am the only one that uses this desktop?

Edited by HeavyDuty

I did the desk top Iam on now 3 days ago It was running win 7 easiest upgrade I have ever done and the pc is running a lot faster. But is there a way to get rid of the boot up password since I am the only one that uses this desktop?

Click the Start button, right click your user name, change account settings, then it will be under sign in options.  If you have it associated with a microsoft account, you're stuck with entering a password, at least as far as I've seen.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-login-screen-in-windows-10/

If you have it associated with a microsoft account...

If you have an MS account associated with it I would consider getting rid of that. All the advertising tracking and whatnot goes through that, remove that and you remove that tracking. Not MS bashing here, it is no more intrusive than Apple or Google, just like to avoid it as much as possible.

• Upvote 1

I had the tech preview and a few days before the retail release the build number disappeared but nothing's said if i'm on the release build or still pending. ? But I don't care much for it anyway. Maybe still need proper touchpad and video drivers 

I clicked the icon and it said I was put on a waiting list...Maybe they're rolling it out by region? Wouldn't let me download right away

It takes a few days for them to process. Then it will download behind the scenes. Keep clicking the icon to check your status. That will speed the process along.

Hold on!

"Microsoft's operating system ships with a lot of services that users are already familiar with and dependent upon (e.g., OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel). Windows 10 makes it clear that anything you do in these apps can (and likely will) be scanned, parsed, and sold to advertisers. Your emails, messages and documents -- nothing is off limit"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/opinions/gosier-microsoft-windows-10/index.html

that wasn't made clear to me. Come find me in the Mint 17 thread from now on.

Edited by motocat12