Windows 10

2talltim

Did the upgrade shorty after midnight last night and so far im liking what i see. The menus and icons have a updated look and have some new options in the task bar. I love how they did away with the app store menu that you had to have open on the background screen, now all the apps are in the start menu where they belong. Also its a bit early to comment on performance but i swear my laptop is snappier and seem to open things quicker. I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite C55 that previously had 8.1. Will be doing my HP desktop and my daughter HP lapto later in the week.

Is the free upgrade really free?

I currently have Win7 Ultimate.  Win8 did not interest me.

yes its free, i got a notification via auto update a couple months ago to "reserve my copy" not sure how you would do it manually.

hmmm been debating doing this on my laptop and desktops which both have windows 7. Was afraid though with the desktop being 5 years old and the laptop being over 2 that it would be detrimental to the speed they run

I believe the "footprint" for 10 is smaller than previous versions of Windows and I think it does a better job with resources so I'd say to upgrade that desktop and laptop.  Besides...when do you ever get anything free from M$?!?!?

I'll be doing my laptop but I can't do my workstation...it's 8.1 Enterprise so no upgrade for that. :(

Edited by r1crusher

Big fan of 10, but be aware of this which is total bullshit. I suspect it will be patched out really quick, the world is screaming about it.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

Living in BFE im not too worried about this. I didnt even have a password on my wifi till i had to ground one of my kids from it..lol

• Upvote 2

I had some drama. I couldn't connect to the network/internet through ethernet after the upgrade and Windows kept telling me I was on a public network, not private. After dicking around with it for a half hour I finally decided I'd better check the network driver for my ASUS board. A new version was available and fixed the problem. Lucky I had other computers in the house to download it. My Creative SB X-Fi sound card no longer works but I knew this was going to happen as they don't have W10 drivers ready and won't for another few months. Screw them...I just yanked it.

The moral is, check your drivers!

• Upvote 1

Big fan of 10, but be aware of this which is total bullshit. I suspect it will be patched out really quick, the world is screaming about it.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

There are other "tinfoil hat" issues with Windows 10.  I'll have to find exactly what they were reported to be and post them up.

yes its free, i got a notification via auto update a couple months ago to "reserve my copy" not sure how you would do it manually.

I've looked high and low and could not find any other way to do it.  If you have a legit install of Windows 7 or 8, and it's not Enterprise version, as long as all updates have been installed, you SHOULD get the notification.  There are some unknown (to me) reasons that it may not run even if everything (appears to me) is in order.  My desktop and laptop neither one wanted to run it until I did some stuff that I found online to remedy the issue.  My wife's laptop ran it on it's own, after I fixed Windows Update so that it WOULD update!

My laptop will not install it because of the video driver.  It's the Ati x1200, and has no Windows 10 compatibility.  Who knows if it ever will!  Ugh...

Doing 3 other computers now. The older desk top I have I had to increase the partition size. And my daughters has so much spy and ad ware on it, I need to clean it out before I can do anything with it.