Buying a new bike tonight. Nervous.

Josh1234

Honda NC700 or whatever?

Yep.  NC700X.  Made for commuting, and VERY different from a "regular" bike... It redlines at 6500 rpm!  It's all about low-end, usable torque.  Definitely weird going from a YZF600 to it, but I'm liking it so far.  I'll do up a proper thread with pictures (and without the guessing game) when I get some time... dealing with work and home stuff right now :p

I decided my next bike would be fuel injected, and it is, at least.... :) I got a good deal on it, but I have a feeling that's because NC700Xs aren't in much demand and don't sell well.  It doesn't appeal to most riders.

Who uses brakes????  Especially with a twin.  :crazy:

engine braking on a street bike seemed to chew up my rear tire a lot.  When you're not getting the rear wheel light, it's actually got some stopping power.

Those are cool bikes. Sort of look like a cross between a Multistrada and Vstrom, right? What model year did you buy?

2012.  I wasn't thrilled about buying the first model year, but they haven't made any changes in three years, so it must not have any catastrophic flaws, right? :)

Riding in full gear makes me sweat like nothing else, but I got to do a bit of evening riding last night when it cooled down a bit, and it was a blast to scoot around town on.  Ya'll can joke about scooters, but everyone knows they're more fun, haha.  The frunk is awesome for cargo.

I haven't done a morning commute yet, but soon I'll start to use it regularly for that.  I also need to go sign up for the NC700 forums, although if I use that one as much as I used the YZF600 forum, there's no point :)

Edited by Josh1234

Congrats, they're cool bikes I considered one but I'm too comfortable on a Vstrom and it didn't do anything different or better, so I went with the Strom...but I'd ride one in a heartbeat.

Ditto.  And wow, what gas mileage.

Noisy shifts and weird riding position was my negatives with that bike. Seemed like a great commuter bike. My buddy consistently gets 73 mpg out of his.

I'm tempted to keep track, just so I can brag about it, but I hate writing stuff down in a notebook when getting gas, or entering it into an app, so I'll probably just skip that step and tell myself I'm getting good mileage anyway :)

Is yours an auto or manual? These are the bikes that come with an auto option, right?

Mine is a manual, but they offer an automatic version that also comes with ABS.... Costs 2K more from the factory from what I understand, although it's gotten favorable reviews.... it also pushes MPG into the 80s!

not knocking the bike at all, but what kind of mileage would you get if you shifted at 6500 all the time?

48mpg on a VFR if you shifted before vtec kicked in at 6790 Rpms :D

not knocking the bike at all, but what kind of mileage would you get if you shifted at 6500 all the time?

I understand you're not knocking it, but of course I just bought it so I have to get defensive... :)

What percentage of your bike's max torque are you using if you shift at 6500?

'Cause I'm gettin' 100% :)

That is a very cool bike for commuting.  Love the trunk space and for the helmet storage, etc. The upright seating will make it more comfortable for longer rides.  Will keep my eye open for more feedback on this ride for sure.  Have fun riding it.