Helmet Transition Lense Sheild VS Built In Sun Visor

Wolfman1

I would love a transition shield for my Nolan. The flip down google thing doesn't come down far enough for me and all the shine from the bike bounces right up under it when riding on a sunny day, and is more bothersome than if the googles were up instead.

Plasti dip sprays on right over chrome.

This was waiting for me on the porch when I got home this evening.IMG_20150716_185936374_HDR.jpg

3rd Bell. Have a couple RS-1s as well. Paid less for this Star Carbon than I did my first RS-1. Thought I'd try an iridium lens.

I love the look of carbon fiber, very nice!  Never heard of an iridium lens, I will have to look that up.

I have a Bell RS-1 and a LaZer Kestrel (carbon fiber version) with the Transitions shield. I may never buy another helmet that doesn't have a photochromic shield. I'm sold.

If you want the full details, including a photo comparing darkness with a tinted shield and the time it takes to change, you can read them here. Here's the tl;dr version:

Why I love the Transitions shield: always the right amount of tint (flip-down visor gives you two choices, all or nothing), no added weight or complexity, never again have to worry about how hard or easy it is to remove the faceshield because I never ever remove it. 

I ride the Pennsylvania Turnpike several times a year when I travel to Philadelphia and need to get there quickly, so I go through several tunnels. I have never felt that it was a safety concern. The slow transition from dark to light is the only drawback, as far as I can see. So if you spend all your days riding in and out of unlit tunnels, maybe it's not for you. I can recommend it for everyone else.

One final note, for those asking, the LaZer Transitions shields come with Pinlock inserts, but they aren't the greatest helmets. The lightness of the carbon fiber Kestrel I have is really nice, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the transition lense for my Bell RS-1 and it's easily dark enough for me. The only downside is no pinlock posts and the helmet starts to fog easily, even with temps in the 50s.I'm looking into a Nolan N44 for the street now and delegating the RS-1 to just track and fun summer rides

I ran a mirror lense and a pnlock tinted lense on my Shoei Qwest. I could ride at night with them, but it was enjoyable. Tunnels on BRP were an issue for me. Couldnt open the shield due to messing with my contacts (Thankful for Lasik now). Now with my Shoei Neotec, I love the drop down sun visor with a clear pinlock main lense. It works great and comes down plenty far enough.