Helmet Transition Lense Sheild VS Built In Sun Visor

Wolfman1

Ok, now that Shoei has released a photochromatic shield, I was wondering what the general OR consensus is regarding what you all prefer on your helmet.  I personal love the drop down sun visor in my Shoei.  It beats having to carry a clear and tinted shield with you each ride or wear the tinted all the time which makes for a fun ride home in the dark.  Riders discount listed it at $169.99.  That is kind of a hefty price for me, but when you are talking about safety and having clearer vision in the sun, it's a mute point.  I wonder if Shoei will start selling their helmets with this lens right from the factory?

Edited by Wolfman1

I love my photocromatic shield on my rf1200... It gets dark before I'm even rolling down the road... Won't lighten quick enough for tunnels, but I spend 99.99% of my time not in tunnels, so that's a moot point for me.... Ride to work at noon when the sun is high and come home in the dark... Meets my needs perfectly and money well spent

flip-down sun visor all day long, it has another benefit other than optical - you can run it as a partial shield and get tons more airflow on a warm day, a full shield no matter its darkening properties doesn't allow this without exposing your eyes to injury.

• Upvote 2

I love my photocromatic shield on my rf1200... It gets dark before I'm even rolling down the road... Won't lighten quick enough for tunnels, but I spend 99.99% of my time not in tunnels, so that's a moot point for me.... Ride to work at noon when the sun is high and come home in the dark... Meets my needs perfectly and money well spent

Wait a minute! You mean you ACTUALLY got one of the rare and elusive Transitions shields for the RF1200?

I walked into Iron Pony in April 2014 expecting to buy a Bell RS-1 to get the Transitions. The sales guy talked me into getting the RF-1200 partly based on the expectation that the Transitions shield would soon be available. I cancelled the order about 10 months later. Love the helmet. Really wish I had the shield.

How, where, when did you get yours? 

Another vote for the transition lens. I've got it on my Bell. It's not as dark as the dark smoke Shields but I agree with Sam, is plenty dark enough. I use it when I don't know if I may get stuck out at night. If it's sunny and I know I'll be back then I rock the mirrored shield or the dark smoke, depending on which helmet I'm wearing or if it's at the track.

Wait a minute! You mean you ACTUALLY got one of the rare and elusive Transitions shields for the RF1200?

I walked into Iron Pony in April 2014 expecting to buy a Bell RS-1 to get the Transitions. The sales guy talked me into getting the RF-1200 partly based on the expectation that the Transitions shield would soon be available. I cancelled the order about 10 months later. Love the helmet. Really wish I had the shield.

How, where, when did you get yours?

I got it a few months back from riders discount... They told me when I ordered there was 150 orders already placed... I waited like 2 months, but it was worth the wait

I have the transitions lens. Works great for me. Will fog a bit on a cool morning. Lens gets dark enough for me. If you are riding directly into the sun for extended periods I suppose it could go another 5-10% darker. No tunnels where I ride, but lots of shady hillsides. I don't find myself ever struggling to see while the shield does its thing. Unless you put it on before going outside, you won't even really notice it changing once it darkens. Very glad I have a "Bell" shaped head.

Does bell have pinlock system on theirs? My shoei has it and it never fogs... My helmet is sealed so tight I can't breathe in it at stop lights while it's hot out without lifting visor, and still no fog... Granted, the coldest it's been while I've been riding here was the 50s

You can get a stick on film for less but idk how well it works.

On an old cheapie helmet I put a strip of regular window tint on the top 1/3 of the visor. and just road with my head tilted more when riding into the sun on short rides.

Edited by motocat12

Does bell have pinlock system on theirs? My shoei has it and it never fogs... My helmet is sealed so tight I can't breathe in it at stop lights while it's hot out without lifting visor, and still no fog... Granted, the coldest it's been while I've been riding here was the 50s

I've ridden with snow on the ground with my rf1200 pinlock. Does a great job. Only got the slightest bit of fog while stuck at a abnormally long light and I had all my vents closed. Still, it wasnt in my field of vision, it was at the very bottom near the breath guard.

I personally am not a fan of the internal sun visor. I rock my mirrored shields all day every day. My new multi colored mirrored shield is slightly lighter than my other mirrored shield. I can ride at night with no issues. But I also don't live out in the boondocks so there are streetlights everywhere I am going at night normally.

My only complaint about bell visors is the fog. Both inside and out. Its one of the reasons I rarely ride into work in the morning. I go by a lot of ponds and there is always fog, sometimes super thick and it just sticks to my visor and blinds me.

I personally am not a fan of the internal sun visor. I rock my mirrored shields all day every day. My new multi colored mirrored shield is slightly lighter than my other mirrored shield. I can ride at night with no issues. But I also don't live out in the boondocks so there are streetlights everywhere I am going at night normally.

Nothing beats the blacked out look of a helmet with a tinted visor.  I have worn my tinted visor like you have for years and never switched it out at night.  I could see ok enough to get home.  Got ribbed by everyone for not switching over to a clear lens.  I live in the boondocks, no streetlights, so riding home from a late ride with no other riders or cars in front of you to light the road ahead does suck!  So I decided when I buy a new helmet, to get one with the sun visor.  Now I have a Shoei and I love it.  Use the visor all day and at dusk flip it up.  Works great and safer too!

This was waiting for me on the porch when I got home this evening.IMG_20150716_185936374_HDR.jpg

3rd Bell. Have a couple RS-1s as well. Paid less for this Star Carbon than I did my first RS-1. Thought I'd try an iridium lens.

I pretty much have rarely ridden at night. I just always kept clear safety glasses in my tail bag so if I got stuck out at night I'd throw those on and flip up my tinted visor. The only thing that sucked about that was getting nailed by bugs

Im far too cheap to ever plop the cash on a visor that is half the cost of the helmet

Edited by Bad324

I would love a transition shield for my Nolan.  The flip down google thing doesn't come down far enough for me and all the shine from the bike bounces right up under it when riding on a sunny day, and is more bothersome than if the googles were up instead.