Ear Plugs

progrmr

Yesterday I did some riding - west side cbus to lancaster then papa boo's at buckeye lake then lancaster again and back to the west side.

For the first time I wore some disposable ear plugs. I have an inexpensive GMax 3/4 helmet with flip visor and the wind noise is just crazy. Plus my bike is stupid loud with the V&H short pipes.

The ride was soooo much better with the ear plugs. I have decided I'm always going to wear them illegal or not. 

I'd like to get some reusable ear plugs but there seem to be surprisingly few options. What ear plugs are you all wearing??

Is it really illegal? I hear traffic noise better with earplugs because it filters out the wind noise. I use foam plugs with an NRR33 rating but have used plugs with NRR26 and they are pretty good too.

For those whom most plugs give discomfort, try these. They work really well and are super comfortable. I think they are NRR26.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/ear-plugs-for-swimming/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value

It would be an interesting fight in court on the earplug ticket.  BMV clearly says you should wear them in the handbook they hand out. The State sponsored MSF course says wear them. I would argue that the State teaching people to wear earplugs while writing tickets for it is BS.

I use one of those bluetooth headsets that goes around the neck, then has two in-ear buds.  I find they do isolation pretty well.

I mainly ride on the highway, and I have a cheap helmet (Bilt) so I get a lot of wind noise.  Those help block it out... Plus music on full volume lets me concentrate on patterned noise instead of white noise, at least.

It would be an interesting fight in court on the earplug ticket.  BMV clearly says you should wear them in the handbook they hand out. The State sponsored MSF course says wear them. I would argue that the State teaching people to wear earplugs while writing tickets for it is BS.

Actually, there is a "legal disclaimer" statement in the Ohio Motorcycle Operator Manual concerning the use of earplugs. Under "Preparing to Ride", "Hearing Protection", quote : "Whether you choose disposable foam earplugs or reusable custom molded devices, be sure you adhere to state laws regarding hearing protection."

thanks for all the suggestions - I'd like to get the resusable and just clean them after a ride. GREAT that I can just run to Lowe's or Walmart to get them. I'm pumped - they really made the ride a lot easier. I wish I had done this years ago!

For years I have been riding with ear buds and music playing it drowns out the wind and exhausts noise and helps me to hear horns and sirens better. I have talked to my son who is a LEO and several of his friends they all told me that they would not even say anything about a rider wearing ear plugs unless the rider was being an asshat.

According to the American Disabilities Act no one can be denied a drivers license because they are deaf.

So if you are deaf is it illegal to wear ear plugs?

New Vehicles are pretty much sound proof anymore most people have their radio on and are talking on their phones and cannot hear anything outside of the car anyway. So what is the point of the Ear plug law? It is just one of those laws that they use to stop you.

Any good rider is going to know what is going on around them for at least 100 yards in any direction at all times anyway. If I am riding more than a few miles I always use hearing protection.

• Upvote 1

I get the Heros brand from Walmart. Comes with a handy plastic tube to store them in your jacket. Any ride over 20 minutes I always use plugs. After 20 minutes any hearing loss becomes permanent.

I use these, they fit better than the normal bullet shaped ones for me: http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Contour-Ear-Plugs-Comfort/dp/B004CZYJLA

You can more or less get the same thing at Kroger. I don't throw mine out every time, I find 1 pair is usually good for at least a month, but that depends how much riding you do.

Edited by 8Rider6

I used to use the disposable orange foam ones. Now I have a pair of blue reuseable custom ones I had made at the bike show that work even better. None of the LEOs I have had the opportunity to talk to on the road have ever said word one about the earplugs.

I use Dubs.  I like their attenuation curve better than the foam EAR brand for riding  (and concerts).

They have a nice low profile and are available at Guitar Center locally.  They fit/feel similar to a music earbud with the rubber cup, like sennheiser makes.

Etymotic are also worth a look.  I believe they also have a new low-profile model.

http://www.getdubs.com/pages/the-tech

Edited by street pilot

I use these, they fit better than the normal bullet shaped ones for me: http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Contour-Ear-Plugs-Comfort/dp/B004CZYJLA

You can more or less get the same thing at Kroger. I don't throw mine out every time, I find 1 pair is usually good for at least a month, but that depends how much riding you do.

Just a word of warning to everyone.... My HMCS (That's a Hospitalman, Senior Chief, or in other words, very highly ranked enlisted man, Corpsman) always SWORE by NOT re-using disposable plugs.  He said that bacteria lives in ear wax, and the plugs are porous, and are basically gigantic incubators for bacteria that can cause ear infections.  

This was over 10 years ago, so you can tell I had it drilled into my memory :)

Obviously, lots of people are doing this with no problems, but just keep that in mind... You don't want to be the one guy that DOES get the ear infection from re-using *disposable* ear plugs.

I wear earplugs at work constantly and will leave them in my pocket occasionally and run them through the washer. Good pairs last a long time this way.

How do you keep them from tangling up you ask?

Steal one of your girlfriends small hair clips and clip it on. Voila. No more tangled mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk