The State wants to Mine Perry Co APV

Ron505

https://www.change.org/p/john-kasich-oh ... src-no_msg

It doesn't matter if you ride atv, hunt, fish, hike or ride horseback in perry state forest. They are considering mining it ALL. Please take a moment to sign this petition to try to save it.

Or maybe Kasich is getting some serious campaign funding for backing this....???

Edited by Ron505

Drill baby,drill....remember that?Kasich is a member of the party that wanted to drill in our national parks,do's it really surprise you that he want's to mine Ohio's playgrounds?

That's actually a very fair point and is also in line with the whole "government is bad, umkay, so let's privatize everything for more jobs, mmkay" line of reasoning so fundamental in today's conservative platform (and also by tea partiers and many libertarians).  I agree with many things in the GOP agenda, but not this one.  It's one of the many negative consequences of an exclusively pro-industry bias.

Signed.

I'm not sure how "strip" mining the same area again would even be profitable. Deep coal mining maybe. I'll sign.

It is still profitable as this was mined many years ago and the advancement in equipment has made it where they can mine higher cover and also with the highwall miners they can go in and cleanup old highwalls and then remove up to 900' of coal without disturbing the ground above.

Drill baby,drill....remember that?Kasich is a member of the party that wanted to drill in our national parks,do's it really surprise you that he want's to mine Ohio's playgrounds?

He's a member of that party in the loosest sense. Not to mention he personally was against it

It is still profitable as this was mined many years ago and the advancement in equipment has made it where they can mine higher cover and also with the highwall miners they can go in and cleanup old highwalls and then remove up to 900' of coal without disturbing the ground above.

Good to know and Interesting.

The state purchased the contested land with federal funds distributed under the Pittman-Robinson Act of 1937. By law, the state must preserve and protect the land and its wildlife resources for the benefit of hunters and other recreational guests.

http://www.midwestenergynews.com/2015/02/04/coal-mining-still-an-issue-for-ohio-park-lands/

Basically the way I read it is if the mining companies pay more what do they care if they lose funding. I'm betting DNR was only stalling for a better deal.

Edited by Gump

It might be ok if they use the income from this to purchase more land. It's been done before.

Woooo, now that is a good idea.

With any luck the public will end up paying for unanticipated transfer fees and prep expenses in both directions, to maximize the private profit and job claims.

Last I heard Ohio Valley Coal had the biggest piles of coal that folks have ever seen. Meanwhile, Buckingham mining in Glouster was or has been nearly idled. Are we suddenly running out of coal somehow? I'm 15 minutes from Perry and used to ride there frequently when I had a quad. Will be a shame if they close it. If you pull into the parking lot of the old gas station and walk to the rear of the lot you can see active mining 100 yards over the hill. The are supposed to be "reclaiming" the land, but they are still pulling coal out. Other side of the operation is a landfill.

Last I heard Ohio Valley Coal had the biggest piles of coal that folks have ever seen. Meanwhile, Buckingham mining in Glouster was or has been nearly idled. Are we suddenly running out of coal somehow? I'm 15 minutes from Perry and used to ride there frequently when I had a quad. Will be a shame if they close it. If you pull into the parking lot of the old gas station and walk to the rear of the lot you can see active mining 100 yards over the hill. The are supposed to be "reclaiming" the land, but they are still pulling coal out. Other side of the operation is a landfill.

And one they are done getting the coal the land will be reclaimed. As for the piles, most are probably getting ready to ship it over seas as Obama has really screwed over the industry. Who knows this may change depending on the next election.

And one they are done getting the coal the land will be reclaimed. As for the piles, most are probably getting ready to ship it over seas as Obama has really screwed over the industry. Who knows this may change depending on the next election.

Shut your whore mouth.  Just because you get to go into coal mines and STILL haven't invited me to go check that out.  Dbag.  You don't even ride dirt with Hollywoodanalgangbang or Mikey so you're not even a friend to them.  Just a poser so you can make money off all of this and go into cool mines and stuff.

hehehe

• Upvote 1

Shut your whore mouth.  Just because you get to go into coal mines and STILL haven't invited me to go check that out.  Dbag.  You don't even ride dirt with Hollywoodanalgangbang or Mikey so you're not even a friend to them.  Just a poser so you can make money off all of this and go into cool mines and stuff.

hehehe

Craig is the enemy.