Windows 10? Thoughts?

chevysoldier

We are testing it at work. I haven't loaded it yet, but the guy sitting next to me has done so. It seems ok so far. That windows 8 orientation toward tablet and phone use of tiles has gone away mostly. When you hit the start button a program list will appear with small tiles to the right. I realize that the concept is a free upgrade, but I also wonder what is in the future for Microsoft revenues. They have to make money on this somehow. I also still consider the release to be in beta, a late beta, but that's where it's at in development. Seems a bit pushy to offer it this early. We will probably skip deploying windows 8 campus wide. Many businesses will probably also skip. That's a big part of where windows 10 is coming from. But... it has to be compatible with a wide variety of existing and older software to be successful.

I would say that if I had been stuck with a windows 8 computer, I would start planning on a time to take this. Or go backwards to windows 7. Windows 8 is annoying. I'll ask the co-worker to make a list of pros and cons. There was also something about the latest "free" offer that he was talking about, that I need to ask him for further clarification. It might have had a bit of a catch to it. Like no going back for free if you change your mind.

I have been pleased with the beta coming from Windows 7. I know you will have a year to get the free upgrade and at work we will probably wait until December to make sure as many bugs as possible are worked out. Windows 7 support is officially done so it's almost a no brainer to snag this.

General Motors completely skipped Windows 8 for compatibility with it's software and hardware.  This all puts me in mind of "ME", and Vista.  The info that I'm getting from one of the developers is that GM is in testing with 10, it looks like they're going to go with it.  

I'm curious about the "catches" that my come with the free upgrade.  The no going back doesn't bother me, but compatibility with older hardware does.

I've heard mixed info about "free".

Even on microsoft's site info is released and removed. One mention was "Free...for the first year.

I went from Vista-WIN7 release candidate- Win7 Retail - Win8 release candidate- back to WIn7

Win10 Technical Preview 3 weeks now- Not happy.

Maybe optional themes won't look like another reviewer put "Fisher Price" design. Also right clicking to enter the control panel separate from the "start menu" "settings"

Spartan/edge/IE12 is ugly

Chrome promoted to be be default browser, clicked yes, WIN10 prompted you have to go into settings/ default apps for that.

Programs folder is now apps

Apps are in alphabetical order with huge A B C titled sections 

Will Stick with Win7 or to a Linux Distro but they've all had a deal breaker or 2 in the past.

Calculator is full butt ugly theres no contrast. Browser tabs, explorer windows all match the theme floating snippets of text with nothing that looks like a button

Cortana pops up occasionally due to trackpad swipe gesture? or something

There's no Demo it's a full install. I bought a new SSD to install it on. Sleep is quirky not sure if it's Win10 or the SSD or Dell bios bit win7 on a std hdd was fine 

I was waiting to buy a new computer not so excited  now.

win10-15_2.jpg

Edited by motocat12

Just to clarify.  During the first year it is free to upgrade, if you upgrade during that year you get to keep if forever for free.  Once you get it for free, it remains free forever. If you wait for a year to upgrade then you have to pay.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Go.to Samsungs website and check your model for drivers. Samsung has really sucked at getting drivers ready. If the laptop originally came with Windows 8 you are probably ok.

6 hours ago, blue-yamaR6s said:

Any recommendations on Windows DVD software since Microsoft wants to charge $15 for the Windows DVD Player download?  I see lots of free ones but some of them quite frankly suck.

Windows Media Player Classic 321 - https://mpc-hc.org/