Zimmerman works for the Cleveland Police it would appear.

Tonik

This is the guy that climbed on the hood of a car to shoot two unarmed people 49 times that just got off Scott free in the courts and will most certainly get back pay from Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/bay-village/index.ssf/2015/06/cleveland_police_officer_micha.html#incart_m-rpt-1

So  this guy is a drunk, abusive and quick to fly off the handle. But he is an awesome cop right...he was justified shooting those two unarmed people right.

Bullshit.

• Upvote 1

There were so many other fatal shots fired into the car with the 2 unarmed people that it was inconsequential that you jumped on the hood Rambo style in complete disregard for protocol.

So if you and IP go blast the shit out of a couple of people in a car...then at the end if I come along and jump on the hood and blast 49 more shots I will get off?  But I get your point. The prosecutor f'd this one up. He should have charge them all as we all would have been charged.

So if you and IP go blast the shit out of a couple of people in a car...then at the end if I come along and jump on the hood and blast 49 more shots I will get off?  But I get your point. The prosecutor f'd this one up. He should have charge them all as we all would have been charged.

I don't agree with what they did, but I don't think any of them would have been convicted anyway - not when the judge made a finding that the decision to open fire was reasonable given the information they were told, and that the suspect vehicle was being used as a weapon and ramming into a police car.

I agree that they should be disciplined for breaking protocol, if that's actually what happened.  If there were no protocols for this situation, or for avoiding this situation, then that is a symptomatic of a larger failure within the leadership.

I'm curious as to what would have happened if they had charged Brelo with abuse of a corpse, or criminal damaging of the vehicle.   They're misdemeanor offenses, but when all else failed, you can't say  "you can't prove they were alive when he shot" and also say "you can't prove they were dead when he shot the bodies."   It is beyond a reasonable doubt that they were either alive or dead, and bullets from his firearm struck those people/corpses.   One must necessarily be true (or so I would have argued).

• Upvote 1

I agree that they should be disciplined for breaking protocol, if that's actually what happened.

I'm curious as to what would have happened if they had charged Brelo with abuse of a corpse, or criminal damaging of the vehicle.   They're misdemeanor offenses......

There were some disciplined, some fired. Most all have been overturned by the arbitrator. Looks like Cleveland is going to escalate at least some of those rulings to the courts.  I actually agree with you, they should have gone for lesser charges. The prosecutor over reached on this one.  My current anti-establishment leanings tells me that he did that on purpose to keep the public quiet while knowing he would lose.

There were some disciplined, some fired. Most all have been overturned by the arbitrator. Looks like Cleveland is going to escalate at least some of those rulings to the courts. I actually agree with you, they should have gone for lesser charges. The prosecutor over reached on this one. My current anti-establishment leanings tells me that he did that on purpose to keep the public quiet while knowing he would lose.

Tim McGinty was appointed by the Bill Mason before Bill resigned. (Okay, Bill "recommended" him and then the county commission had to confirm his interim appointment) McGinty was elected as a faux incumbent. He's absolutely campaigning, but that happens with a lot of elected positions...

I'm kind of impressed it didn't happen with the verdict.

Edited by redkow97

So if you and IP go blast the shit out of a couple of people in a car...then at the end if I come along and jump on the hood and blast 49 more shots I will get off? But I get your point. The prosecutor f'd this one up. He should have charge them all as we all would have been charged.

Exactly what I understood from the verdicts.

So if anyone on the radio claims "shots fired" whether it's accurate or not...the police are free to kill who ever they wish because they "fear for their lives."

Bullshit. Our courts and judges are impotent when it comes to prosecuting officers.

So if anyone on the radio claims "shots fired" whether it's accurate or not...the police are free to kill who ever they wish because they "fear for their lives."

Bullshit. Our courts and judges are impotent when it comes to prosecuting officers.

The problem becomes punishing the action versus punishing the result.

I am going to assume that whichever officer said "shots fired" did so with a legitimate belief (or at least strong suspicion) that they were correct.

The other officers take that at face value, and their state of mind is subjective, but judged objectively based on a reasonable police officer in the same situation.

Those officers then use lethal force, again, with a good-faith belief that they're facing an armed suspect who has fired on police.

On the one hand, what behavior are you trying to curb if everyone is acting with a  good-faith belief that they're legitimately facing an armed and dangerous suspect or suspects who they believe have already fired on police? 

On the other hand, the RESULT is totally unacceptable:  wo un-armed people were shot at 130 times.

Finding a middle-ground between overreacting to the result and punishing good-faith beliefs is very tricky.

What would you suggest police do differently from the start of the chase, or even in training?

I think this was a systemic failure.  Too many cars involved means too many officers.  The initial report of a gun-shot that was (apparently) a car backfiring is fucked up beyond belief.  I have not heard (m)any cars backfire, but I think I would know the difference between that and a gun...  At least the first "shot" at the justice center.  While driving, with engine noise and sirens, I understand that mistake - but things should never have gotten that far.

Whoever erroneously reported that a shot was fired is really the root cause of this whole thing.  Michael Brelo going kong after the fact is way down the line of fuck-ups, just the most glaring one.

Edited by redkow97