Need Advice.. First time on a big bagger

MarkB

So, I'm heading to Milwaukee for work and I am lucky enough to be able to borrow a bike while I'm there. The problem is that it's a 2015 CVO Street Glide and 2x the weight of my current bike. 

Any advice on making a smooth transition?

You won't have any problems.  The H-Ds are pretty low seat height and carry their weight well.  Even slow speed maneuvers in a parking lot are as easy as your lighter--but taller--Versys.  They're quite pleasant to ride at a relaxed pace.  Main difference is the clearance when cornering.  Foot boards/pegs/pipes/primary case all drag at more extreme lean angles, so don't overcook any corners.  Oh, and get used to short shifting.  Low redline but prodigious torque numbers from 1200-1500 RPM means shift early and then cruise around town in 3rd or 4th with only an occasional downshift needed in traffic.  Most stock motors, unless they've been modded, run out of breath at much over 4500 RPM, making wringing their necks an exercise in futility.

• Upvote 1

Like everyone else said, weight won't matter much except when you're moving it around the garage.

It only feels heavy when your legs are pushing it. Under power, it's just like riding your bike with an obese passenger.

• Upvote 1

Everything works better under a little throttle. Don't use your legs at slow speed, give it a little juice to move it. I was used to mine before I left the IP parking lot when I bought it. That being said, I felt like I want going to dump it trying to move it out of it's space.

Using a floorboard instead of a peg was odd at first, but I can't imagine not having boards now. As said, don't overthink it.

big bikes are fun! they disappear from underneath you once above walking speed.

when slowing to a stop. stay looking forward until you have the bike at a stop and your feet planted. 

when slow speed maneuvering: drag rear brake slightly and use some clutch work to keep the bike slightly accelerating, this makes it feel a bit more stable. 

Its a HD, so you are obligated to ride at 10mph under the speed limit, especially on two-lane roads with no passing zones in sight, so you get a loooong line of cars behind you.  If they try to pass, you speed up.   If they slow down to get back in line, you slow down, too.    Ohhhh, and make sure to wave at everyone on a cruiser, but face forward and no response to anything that even remotely resembles a dual sport/ sportbike/ non-HD.   

Enjoy. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, probably so.  I'm not a "group ride" guy, and I'm officially "out" of the ride if the organizer/ leader is on a Harley.  EVERY time I've tried it I've ended up frustrated.    Granted, sportbikers and dual sporters have their own "characteristics", too.  IMHO, dualies still like the speed and curves but are sensible.  

If I weren't in Puerto Rico, hammered and on mobile I would neg rep the hell out of this. This is OR we accept everyone. If you don't get that you see a fag. But I accept everyone, so I am ok with your fagness. Hope you are too.

Its a HD, so you are obligated to ride at 10mph under the speed limit, especially on two-lane roads with no passing zones in sight, so you get a loooong line of cars behind you. If they try to pass, you speed up. If they slow down to get back in line, you slow down, too. Ohhhh, and make sure to wave at everyone on a cruiser, but face forward and no response to anything that even remotely resembles a dual sport/ sportbike/ non-HD.

Enjoy.

If you can't pass a Harley, that is totally on you. I have not had that problem. I have been flicked off many a times for passing on double yellow.

If this guy wants to ride HD, let him live.

I went from a zx12r to a brand new street glide. Takes all of 5 miles to get use to the differences in the bikes. Floor boards are awesome. The torque is about the same between my 103 and what the 12 was the bike is just heavier. The cvo has a 110 a little more grunt than the 103. Also it is a fly by wore throttle can be a little touchy at first. Like said when moving around at slow speed the throttle is your friend use it to help you move the bike. I'm in love with my new bike. And I have no clue what ysr is talking about with harley riders I ride mine hard like I stole the damn thing.

LOL.  Dude is just not wanting to fuck up a loaner bike.  Relax hombre.

It's a bit more than a loaner bike, it's a company owned vehicle... and yeah, I don't really want to fuck it up.

But by the sounds of it I am overthinking it...

On a vacation to AZ, I rented a Harley Electra Glide. I thought I would be heavy. Once you are rolling, it is the same as any other motorcycle. 

I just had to adjust to moving the bike out of a parking space. I was a bit top heavy.

The biggest adjustment was the forward shifter / rear brake and making the transition from a stop, when picking up my feet. Once you do that part a few times, it is no big deal.

If I weren't in Puerto Rico, hammered and on mobile I would neg rep the hell out of this. This is OR we accept everyone. If you don't get that you see a fag. But I accept everyone, so I am ok with your fagness. Hope you are too.

And again, Tonik finds a way to jack a thread with some braggadocios gloating input.  

I don't dislike HD's, nor their riders.  I've found that there are some stereotypes about them, just like every other genre of bike/ rider.  Just my personal experience.   I ride a "cruiser", but don't find that it is better at slow speeds.   

FWIW, I don't like riding in groups in general.  

MarkB,

My apologies if you took offense to my post. I wasn't intending to bash you. Enjoy the bike. I was having some fun and venting some general frustrations. No ill intent was meant.

Jeff

None taken...