SR56 in Hocking area (repaving)

JCMathis

I was down in the area yesterday 5/16 and found that 56 had been scraped up to be repaved. I am not sure where it starts or ends but I I know it is at least from 93 to 378. Not a good road to be on right now.

I was down in the area yesterday 5/16 and found that 56 had been scraped up to be repaved. I am not sure where it starts or ends but I I know it is at least from 93 to 378. Not a good road to be on right now.

Maybe not a good road to be on right now,but that's good news.I hope they pave it all the way from 664 to 691.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not a good road to be on right now,but that's good news.I hope they pave it all the way from 664 to 691.

Thanks for the info.

278 out of Nelsonville southwest bound is brand new pavement from the top of the first & biggest hillclimb & well beyond 56. The hill climb section had a few rough patches to avoid but still very rideable with caution.

56 was ground up for repaving east of 278 to who knows how far east, & stopped immediately after 374 on the west end of the road work. The pavement from 374 to 664 is still in fine shape. That is one of my favorite stretches of scenic twisty road in all of Ohio.

I hope they get the hill on 278 also, but I can see it presenting difficulties due to it's very long very steep grade and lower medium speed banked turns. Great southbound route, I love twisty hill climbs.

Two Mile Rd just SW of 56 off of 278 was a very nice back way around Lake Hope, BTW. 278 south of 56 is more higher speed sweepers than the northern half, but very lush dense forests & very few driveways & other potential hazards. Two mile has slightly tighter curves but more residences. Good alternate or road to loop back on (so is the southern half of 328).

I checked a link someone posted from odot for other SEOH areas and went yo the Athens/Marietta district. Looks like 4?56 in Hocking & Vinton counties gets repaved all the way from 374 & east, but 78 only from Nelsonville (including the hill climb stretch which they are probably putting off due to difficult terrain) but only from Nelson ville south to 56. I thought it was repaved south of 56, but I jumped off on Two Mile Rd within 100 yards of 56, so I could be mistaken.

So new pavement on 56 extends southeast from 278 just to the Athens County Line, not all the way to 691.

• 1 month later...

56 was repaved from 278 to 328 for sure. We rode that last week. And 278 north of 56 to about the wooded area is also paved. Unfortunately, they did not do the whole wooded section but they did hit the really bad area. Sadly, it was raining (shocker there right?) so we had to take it way slow but it would've have been great without the rain. The part they didn't pave isn't in bad shape so 278 from 50 to 32 is actually in really good shape. 

Good&bad, I was hoping to ride 78 this weekend before or after they paved it! Does anyone know the current status this week of 78? Last mention was July 9th. May plan for 3 wknds from now.

Anyone know?

Also, apologies for my typos in last month's post. Mary basically reiterated it in other words, 278 (NOT 78 as I said) was fresh pavement from Nelsonville down into Lake Hope EXCEPT for the awesome densely forested huge hill climb southwest bound just outside of Nelsonville. That section had several rough patches, although none of them encompassed the entire width of the lane, so some strategic maneuvering & it's still very fun.

Unfortunately they ended the new pavement on 56 at 374, the best best stretch of 56 from 374 to South Bloomingville was still in decent shape though, as long as nothing too bad happened to it during the likely flooding

Edited by Chuck78

In the Glouster area 78 is paved from Glouster to Bishopville,which is probably the county line.I was hoping for a lot more.It's supposed to get paved all the way to McConellsville but there isn't any signs up as of last weekend.The Morgan county section is probably a different contract.

Paving is also completed on 78 out in the Muskie Bucket area...from 83 to Olive Green if I remember right.

Signs are up,but draped,on 555 in Muskingum county.It looks like it will be an eleven mile section,but that section of 555 is pretty much a snooze,the good stuff down in the Cutler area is still in good shape.

Not a whole lot of paving going on on the good stuff that I know of.

Unfortunately they ended the new pavement on 56 at 374, the best best stretch of 56 from 374 to South Bloomingville was still in decent shape though, as long as nothing too bad happened to it during the likely flooding

Man, I would love to see this section paved. 

Man, I would love to see this section paved.

I know...that stretch is definitely near the top of my top 10 favorite short stretches of road in all of SE OH. The incredibly long curves around the cliffs (mostly obscured by vegetation) just west of Ash Cave are some of the most fun in the region. & another stretch the same distance from the gas station... & the tricky Chapel Ridge. Goose Creek Rd is opposite that, need to try that one out again. Only time I tested it years ago, it had gravel & dogs in the road so I turned around halfway.

So is there more of 78 that is ground up for repaving, or just in need of repaving? I'm mostly concerned with only Glouster (78@oh-13) to oh-555, the "Rim of the World" scenic twisty ridge top Vista stretch.

According to the ATH.pdf 2015 ODOT construction season bulletin that I downloaded from the ODOT website for District 10, the Athens County portion of OH-78 was awarded a contract in February. On the MOR.pdf for Morgan County, that stretch of 78 has a different project # & wasn't awarded a contract until 3 weeks or so ago, June 29th 2015, so we may be waiting a short bit for most of the rest of the Rim of the World section to get paved.

Edited by Chuck78

That stretch of 78 hasn't been touched...yet.

I did find something very,very good today.147 from Centerville(9) to Bellaire has new pavement.This one of my favorite roads and they paved the best section!!!

That stretch does look quite impressive from a Google Terrain view map! 148 & 149 nearby there look to have some great stretches as well. 149 directly adjacent, Neff to Glencoe. Although 147 south of there chases up and down endless hills and ridges, where the twister of 149 follows a stream or river.

I don't make it out east of Zanesville or Coshocton much, but 147 has caught my eye many times while browsing map routes on terrain view.

Eight Street Rd north of 541 to Guernsey Valley Rd is quite a blast, but I haven't checked much else out in that area. A few roads just west of Cambridge also really looked like must-rides...6## something and 208 to 83 I think were two of them. One might have been called Hopewell something or other.

• 1 month later...

78 Nelsonville to 260 was in good enough shape today. A few rough patch areas, but pretty good enough. 565 was great, 537 was great except for the eastbound hillclimb past the lamping homestead picnic area, where the outside lane had started falling down the hillside and had been poorly patceh, and then sagged more. 331 miles today!

Edited by Chuck78

78 Nelsonville to 260 was in good enough shape today. A few rough patch areas, but pretty good enough. 565 was great, 537 was great except for the eastbound hillclimb past the lamping homestead picnic area, where the outside lane had started falling down the hillside and had been poorly patceh, and then sagged more. 331 miles today!

Good to hear. I'm going to try to hit a few of those plus some others near Marrietta on Sunday.

Got a late start today but managed to hit 9>148>146>556>7>148>9>147 to Bellaire >214 home. Hot as hell but traffic was manageable. Roads clean for most part. New pavement on 9 and 147 is soooo nice!

We hit 266 SW/NE/E off of 377. The section where you turn left to stay on 266 - take that forward instead off 266 onto 792(?) to 676 to 393 (?) instead (or the reverse if coming other way). The stretch that heads northeast toward the river/bridge had atrocious pavement where the outside lane on the downhill slope side had man areas that had badly sunk downhill and were patched pretty roughly. Very roughly, one fresh looking 30 whole lane patch violently bucked myself and bike left, up, right, down,etc about a dozen times in the 30'stretch.

676 all the way to Marietta and then 26 or north along the river or 77 would be better than the north bank of the river on 266 to 60 (fairly boring, 676 is only mildly boring for a 20+ minute stretch in the middle where the hills and trees subside, ends E&W are great, especially the West by 555.

did I pass a 7 or 9 Rider crew of you guys/gals on 78? I was the confused looking guy in all black leather with camelback & modded old 70's super bike themed Suzuki GS. I didn't plot out much for our return to Columbus, just the good stuff near Marietta, and was looking for a sign saying Big Muskie Drive, could not remember the state route # as I passed by 284 (?) slowly while waiting for my friends in tow behind me. It worked out better missing my turn, got to hit the very twisted contorted convoluted section of 669 through the dense forests just off the river on the west bank, then got to skip the slab to hit 204 home.

How is 284? I've never hit it due to average writeups on it. I need to check out the revamped Mountain Bike trails at the Wilds soon, as I hear they are rad. I believe the Wilds are off 284, correct?