SR56 in Hocking area (repaving)

JCMathis

Yes,you can get to the Wilds from 284.284 of off 83 was paved last year,but only to the county line.The Muskingum county side has much older pavement which is too bad because it's the twistier part of 284.If the Muskingum county side was paved it would definitely be worth a ride...not a top 10 or 20 road,but fun.As it is,it's o.k.,but It will leave you thinking about how fun it would be with better pavement.I know,I used 284 for my commute when I was working in Lewisville earlier in the year.It sucked to hit that county line and loss that good pavement when you knew there was some good curves ahead.

• 9 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:12 AM, Mary#17 said:

Does anybody know if 56 has been repaved between 374 and south bloomington (bloomfield?). Thanks. 

I don't know about 56,but if you're heading down this way don't miss 78 from Glouster to Malta.IMO this is the best part of 78 and it was paved late last fall.Big Fun!!!I ride it two or three times a week.

Did I send you a p.m. last fall about some other roads down here that were paved last year?A few of them would be on your way down and easy to include in your route.

I'll try to get down to 56 in the next few days.Anything else you need scouted?

• Upvote 2

+1 on 78, one of my favorites. I was at Old Man's Cave a few weeks ago. I can't recall if it was fresh pavement on that section or not, but i saw no spots on 56 that were bad. I remember it being clean, and busy with people hiking and in vans.

1 hour ago, drc32-0 said:

I don't know about 56,but if you're heading down this way don't miss 78 from Glouster to Malta.IMO this is the best part of 78 and it was paved late last fall.Big Fun!!!I ride it two or three times a week.

Did I send you a p.m. last fall about some other roads down here that were paved last year?A few of them would be on your way down and easy to include in your route.

I'll try to get down to 56 in the next few days.Anything else you need scouted?

Just hit that part of 78 last weekend and I'm in love! sigh..... Seriously, crazy awesome!

On June 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Mary#17 said:

Does anybody know if 56 has been repaved between 374 and south bloomington (bloomfield?). Thanks. 

Sorry,no new pavement from 374 to South Bloomington.New pavement still stops at 374(Ash Cave).It looks like they are getting ready to pave the rest of 278 from Nelsonville to the hill that was paved last year.

14 hours ago, drc32-0 said:

Sorry,no new pavement from 374 to South Bloomington.New pavement still stops at 374(Ash Cave).It looks like they are getting ready to pave the rest of 278 from Nelsonville to the hill that was paved last year.

Good news about 278. We just hit that last weekend as well and the new pavement is awesome and the part that wasn't paved is really a fun part of that road. Thanks for the update. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/28/2016 at 1:02 PM, Mary#17 said:

Just hit that part of 78 last weekend and I'm in love! sigh..... Seriously, crazy awesome!

Yes that is a truly epic section there.  I am surprised if you have never been on that section before!  Be sure to stop at the old barn just west of 555 on the north side of the road by the abandoned looking white aluminum siding 1 story house. That view is comparable to many places on the Blue Ridge Parkway honestly (not as much the areas around Asheville NC however, but BREATHTAKING and unbelievable that the view in front of you is in Ohio).  Most of 78 is obscured by trees but the further east you get on that section, the more quick little peeps you can get through the trees until you have a couple of very great scenic panorama views nearing 555.

We love to take 377 south of there to 555 and 676 and that great little stretch of 550.  or 78 to the river and north to 669 west. Great stretch on 669. 555 north of 78 is good for 555, and takes you directly to the best stretch of 669 east to the river, but 669 is pretty decent for a little ways west of 555 as well.

12 minutes ago, Chuck78 said:

Yes that is a truly epic section there.  I am surprised if you have never been on that section before!  Be sure to stop at the old barn just west of 555 on the north side of the road by the abandoned looking white aluminum siding 1 story house. That view is comparable to many places on the Blue Ridge Parkway honestly (not as much the areas around Asheville NC however, but BREATHTAKING and unbelievable that the view in front of you is in Ohio).  Most of 78 is obscured by trees but the further east you get on that section, the more quick little peeps you can get through the trees until you have a couple of very great scenic panorama views nearing 555.

We love to take 377 south of there to 555 and 676 and that great little stretch of 550.  or 78 to the river and north to 669 west. Great stretch on 669. 555 north of 78 is good for 555, and takes you directly to the best stretch of 669 east to the river, but 669 is pretty decent for a little ways west of 555 as well.

Good to hear from you Chuck.You ever hit Tatmans Rd off of 669 near Crooksville.It runs south to 37,jogs a little with 37 and then runs south to 13.If you take a hard uphill right onto 13 ,which was paved last year,you can hit the only good part of 13 as it takes you over  to Moxahala and Congo Rd.Congo isn't real tight,but it is a fun sweeper road and it was paved last year.Congo T's into 155 and if you take a left it will take over to 13 at Corning a little north of 78 at Glouster.

That's some good stuff if you're in the area and another fun way to get to the best part of 78.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Chuck78 said:

Yes that is a truly epic section there.  I am surprised if you have never been on that section before! 

I've ridden it before but new pavement is just beyond awesome.  I also think it's more fun going west to east and I think I had always come from the east before. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 11:15 PM, drc32-0 said:

Good to hear from you Chuck.You ever hit Tatmans Rd off of 669 near Crooksville.It runs south to 37,jogs a little with 37 and then runs south to 13.If you take a hard uphill right onto 13 ,which was paved last year,you can hit the only good part of 13 as it takes you over  to Moxahala and Congo Rd.Congo isn't real tight,but it is a fun sweeper road and it was paved last year.Congo T's into 155 and if you take a left it will take over to 13 at Corning a little north of 78 at Glouster.

That's some good stuff if you're in the area and another fun way to get to the best part of 78.

Very good to know!  I will definitely be checking that out! 

I just got a '99 KDX220 2 stroke trail bike and a bunch of parts I  the mail to hop it up and do some needed maintenance, but our Sunday Dorr Run/Long Ridge Wayne National Forest ride might be pretty soggy... I think I will take a buddy instead on a road ride if the "thunderstorms in thr vicinity" weekend firecast does not change. I was either going to show him 685/78 etc or 93&83 east of Zanesville.  

93 will have repaving completed this afternoon between 208/Adamsville & 541/93 - but they were doing 10 days of bridge work near 541 so dont try to run 93 more than 5 mi north of 83/93 intersection/merger before Aug 19th or 20th completion.

Will post another topic on this.

Edited by Chuck78

• 3 weeks later...

Rode 56 today - it's tar and gravel between Laurelville and S. Bloomingville.  Very bad.  Then, it's being torn up for 3 miles out of S. Bloomingville after you make the turn by the gas station until you get to 374.  So if you're going down that way, avoid those parts. 

Edited by DAC
  • Upvote 1

Tar and chip from Salt Creek to South Bloomingville confirmed. I wish I had read DAC's reply before so I could have avoided it. It was definitely packed tight all ready so it wasn't unbearably loose and there aren't much for curves through that section. As soon as you think your okay to run at regular speed it'll get squirrelly so use caution and stay below 45. I was only running the stretch from Lauraville to south Bloomingville and that was plenty for me. I was completely shocked that they tar and chipped a state route. 

10 minutes ago, TheLongWay said:

Tar and chip from Salt Creek to South Bloomingville confirmed. I wish I had read DAC's reply before so I could have avoided it. It was definitely packed tight all ready so it wasn't unbearably loose and there aren't much for curves through that section. As soon as you think your okay to run at regular speed it'll get squirrelly so use caution and stay below 45. I was only running the stretch from Lauraville to south Bloomingville and that was plenty for me. I was completely shocked that they tar and chipped a state route. 

That might be a precursor for paving.They did that to 676 a few years ago and then paved it the next year.

On June 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Mary#17 said:

They are finally in the process of paving 56 from 664 to 374.The old pavement is ground off awaiting the new stuff.Probably be  3-4 weeks until it's finished....just in time for the fall colors and tourists.

It looks like they are going to do the hill on 664 between 56 and and 374.Draped signs are up,but that's all.

On 9/4/2016 at 5:06 PM, drc32-0 said:

They are finally in the process of paving 56 from 664 to 374.The old pavement is ground off awaiting the new stuff.Probably be  3-4 weeks until it's finished....just in time for the fall colors and tourists.

It looks like they are going to do the hill on 664 between 56 and and 374.Draped signs are up,but that's all.

Oh my.................. :D

• 4 weeks later...

This was all done being paved 2 weekends ago when I was on it. They re-did 664 up to where 374 from old man's cave area splits off north. Didn't go past 664&374 but sadly noticed the Hawk gas station still had all pumps closed off unfortunately.