HELP LEGALIZE LANE SPLITTING!!!

Mr.Milchling

I wonder what legalizing lane splitting will do for motorcycle insurance rates? My guess is they won't be going down. Also, this could become a money maker for the DMV! First you will have to pay to take a test and pay for a lane splitting endorsement and then, yes, pay every year to renew it. The possibilities are endless!!!

• Upvote 1

You seriously think insurance rates would go up? If they legalize I can put money on it that they won't automatically go up that day. Statistics still remain the same here folks. If it was legalize without restrictions they may go up. They may not. They may make vehicle operators more aware. I don't believe any of us can see the future if it was legalized. I have little faith in this petition to actually do any progress on it also, but, I believe late splitting at a stop could seriously be beneficial here for what it's worth. I 110% agree that there should be restrictions on it. Yeah, we could all probably commute regularly with traffic. SURE! Do people still do it now? MOST DEFINITELY! but the reality is that it is illegal and because it's not the norm people will frown upon it.

Edited by Mr.Milchling

I signed the petition. Didn't see the number go up at all. In any case, just because it may one day become legal, that doesn't mean it's required. Those that feel the need to do it and do it safely, great. Those that don't do it safely will pay the penalty sooner or later, but most likely the unsafe motorists are already unsafe. I just like the idea that if the need arises and lane splitting is legal, other motorists will better understand it and not be shocked when someone passed by them during a traffic jam.

Lanesplitting should be explicitly legalized as part of a wider push to encourage motorcycles and scooters as transportation.

As a country we are going off the deep-end with CAFE standards and gas taxes to fund highway projects... and yet no one is interested in pushing 2 wheeled vehicles that get ridiculous mpg and mitigate traffic.

Lanesplitting on a bike is functionally adding an extra lane to the highway at zero cost. Filtering to the front at a city stop light has a similar effect. So fuck the dough-faced Ohioan who think you're "cheatin' em".

I think it should be legal, but shouldn't be instituted without a large scale public awareness campaign to let people know it is legal. Should also be accompanied by clear limits on what's considered safe splitting/sharing and specified penalties for obstructing splitting/sharing.

pretty sure this would cause more harm than good, at least for the first few years. Squids blasting through traffic and drivers who have never had to deal with something like that on a regular basis...