HELP LEGALIZE LANE SPLITTING!!!

Mr.Milchling

Signed and got my girl, brother, father, co-worker, and mother to also :)

Throwing this out there, hate away if you want.

You seem like a new rider, I say this because of your other post saying you hope to have your permit this weekend ? New rider. On an R1 and already wanting to lane split? Deadly combination.

Lane splitting has some pluses yes, it's also not for new or unskilled riders.

I split now, when needed or beneficial. Never had LEO say a thing.

• Upvote 1

This post is not for everyone to allow Mr.milchling to Lane split. Nor was it a post to criticize and speak to me in a condescending way without even asking "hey, are you new to riding? Lane splitting is probably not for you". Although I completely understand with the information you gathered on me.

Now that I feel I must defend myself...

On a personal note, this is my 6th bike. I have way more miles "illegally" then on my permit (that I still rode out for almost a full year) 10 fold. Just never bothered to get it. I suppose that was my choice and thankful was never stopped or had anything taken away on a flat bed. Passed the test way :)

Bikes:

1st Yamaha 175 (don't even remember)

2nd 1986 kawasaki 454 (one of my favorite bikes)

3rd 06 vstar

4th 96 (I think) suzuki marauder 800 (pia)

5th 96 (I think) zx6r

6th this r1

This post is not for everyone to allow Mr.milchling to Lane split. Nor was it a post to criticize and speak to me in a condescending way without even asking "hey, are you new to riding? Lane splitting is probably not for you". Although I completely understand with the information you gathered on me.

Now that I feel I must defend myself...

On a personal note, this is my 6th bike. I have way more miles "illegally" then on my permit (that I still rode out for almost a full year) 10 fold. Just never bothered to get it. I suppose that was my choice and thankful was never stopped or had anything taken away on a flat bed. Passed the test way :)

Bikes:

1st Yamaha 175 (don't even remember)

2nd 1986 kawasaki 454 (one of my favorite bikes)

3rd 06 vstar

4th 96 (I think) suzuki marauder 800 (pia)

5th 96 (I think) zx6r

6th this r1

I don't think he was trying to speak down to you, just giving the cold hard facts. I'm glad you could give us your history with bikes, but the truth of the matter is we all want to see everyone make it home safe, no matter what they ride.

I think it was just a suggestion for newer riders, and since we didn't have that history lesson from you, and your previous post made us assume you were one. No harm, no foul. I agree 100% with MT. I also support lane splitting, but not for me. I don't have the miles that would make me comfortable to do that.

• Upvote 1

I did ask if you were a new rider, re read it. Said I assume you're a new rider and ended with a question mark ;)

And no, it wasn't condescending, it was real talk. Lane splitting is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and you'll come across many cars that will try to block you. I don't think it's a great idea to make it law for that reason. It becomes law then every jackass with a bike will do it and most probably shouldn't. Just my 2 pennies though.

And you'll know when I'm being condescending or an ass, I don't hide it :lol:

• Upvote 2

I'm all for more freedoms,but I lean towards Ohio doesn't need lane splitting.More people will be killed and hurt than what the law is worth.I live out here in Hillbilly heaven and we damn sure don't need lane splitting out here and that would goes for probably 95% of Ohio.The other 5% would only need it for limited times during the day,and then it would be more of a nicety than a necessity.

California has it for a reason....spend about a week commuting in the Bay Area and you'll understand why they need a lane splitting law.

• Upvote 2

I'm all for more freedoms,but I lean towards Ohio doesn't need lane splitting.More people will be killed and hurt than what the law is worth.I live out here in Hillbilly heaven and we damn sure don't need lane splitting out here and that would goes for probably 95% of Ohio.The other 5% would only need it for limited times during the day,and then it would be more of a nicety than a necessity.

California has it for a reason....spend about a week commuting in the Bay Area and you'll understand why they need a lane splitting law.

And this.

Before trying to get everyone you know to sign it you make sure everyone fully understands what they are signing for. There's no upside for this here, only downsides. We don't have the need for this

I drive a significant amount for my job. I see people border on attempted murder when there's traffic and someone tries to pass on the shoulder, go around cars waiting to get over when a lane ends, etc.... Not the same, I know.... But the "if I can't, you can't" mentality is strong in ohio. I won't outwardly oppose, but I won't aggressively support.

• Upvote 2

I disagree, but I have to commute on an air cooled machine in Columbus and am expected to sit with the rest of stuck/stopped traffic. I'd like to be able to legally share lanes. Additionally, this isn't about just Ohio. It's good for the country. Four states other than California currently have their own legislation in the works. It makes sense to have a nationwide uniform standard that would promote awareness among all motorists making it safer for us all.

I disagree, but I have to commute on an air cooled machine in Columbus and am expected to sit with the rest of stuck/stopped traffic. I'd like to be able to legally share lanes. Additionally, this isn't about just Ohio. It's good for the country. Four states other than California currently have their own legislation in the works. It makes sense to have a nationwide uniform standard that would promote awareness among all motorists making it safer for us all.

Agreed. If it's going to be legal, it needs to be legal nationwide and there needs to be a huge advertising campaign informing motorists. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed. If it's going to be legal, it needs to be legal nationwide and there needs to be a huge advertising campaign informing motorists. 

States cant even agree what age to let people drive; I wouldn't hold my breath on a big collaborated lane splitting law.

• Upvote 1

I value my life far too much to lane split. Too many clueless drivers not paying attention

Not to mention these petitions don't do a damn thing

Edited by Bad324

Todd, I just felt the need to defend myself. Beginning the sentence with "hate if you want" just came off wrong to me. I was a little offended but was completely understandable! I began the thread for people to "look" at the link that describes what Lane splitting is at the top. Also asked people to post "if" they signed it. Completely optional. (I'll add that I suppose)

I have never Lane split at all until this year. I have treated all my past motorcycles as if they were cars for this topics matter. I do live in the country! I love country roads. Country roads tend not to be plowed hence the road conditions are usually a love for me. Scenery, ect. But that's just my weekend. I do commute through the week where Lane splitting could easily save a whole lot of time. That's the goal here. Even if we had the (what's commonly confused in California because there is no restrictions) right to share lanes only at intersection would cut the plausible injuries by a lot. The fact is, it's illegal and folks where I live get so butt hurt when it happens. Even if I was to ride a median at a 4 way to make a right hand turn on red. I have been chased down, flipped off, cut off, called police on, and the list goes on. Idiots out here are likely to open a car door or throw something at you. I do not Lane split often because of this. The closest I get to Lane splitting while moving is seeing a gap I can make and powering through it after a few seconds making sure both cars are maintaining their speed.

Reading everyone's opinions was pretty great! Thanks you guys for your 2 cents! Now there is mine :D

Edited by Mr.Milchling

Yea,those advertising campaigns have worked so well for not texting and driving.