Oil pressure light. Help!

dustyxbla

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It stays lit.

1979 CB750 Limited Edition

Then I am going to stick with the wire being bad.  Got an ohm's meter?  Bike off, set the meter to 1000 ohm's. Whats the reading between the end of the wire and a good ground. Or you can use a trouble light. Ground end goes to the wire pointy end goes to a hot.

Derp. Skipped over this somehow. Chase wiring back from the light. Pull the headlight out, download a wiring schematic from Google images and chase it back. Wire from the light should go into a connector and back out of the headlight bucket and eventually down to the sending unit. If this only started happening after you did the oil change I would walk yourself back though everything you did while changing the oil. Did you lift the bike up somehow? Chances are you pinched the wire and split the insulation enough to ground it out. To isolate the wire as the problem run a jumper from the sending unit to the hot dog connecter in the headlight bucket and see if that fixes it.

I like this idea. I have the clymer, so I have a wiring diagram. I'll bridge the wire. But what is a Hot dog connector?

I followed it start to finish and everywhere in between. I really feel like the wire is good and the sensor is bad, despite many people saying its the wire. I've exhausted my patience with the wiring as I found nothing wrong. Its so confusing and it bothers me. I put a test light clipped on the wire and poked at the battery positive and it lit up.. I'll report when I get the switch and replace it. Thanks guys. I don't know what else I can do till then

I followed it start to finish and everywhere in between. I really feel like the wire is good and the sensor is bad, despite many people saying its the wire. I've exhausted my patience with the wiring as I found nothing wrong. Its so confusing and it bothers me. I put a test light clipped on the wire and poked at the battery positive and it lit up.. I'll report when I get the switch and replace it. Thanks guys. I don't know what else I can do till then

You clipped into "which" wire from the idiot light and touched positive battery and it lit up. Edited by Gump

I put the clip from the test light on to the connector at the end of the wire that connects to the sensor.

And touched positive on a battery with the bikes key off?

I've exhausted my patience with the wiring as I found nothing wrong.

Hang in there man, older bikes and odd electrical gremlins come with the territory. It's worth it, you got a cool bike there.

Thanks for the reinforcement. Its literally my dream bike and it fell in my lap, the previous owner kinda pulled one over on me. I paid 1,500 cash and have sunk more than 500 in parts I to it. None of the parts were guesswork, it needed them all. Its been three months and I've put 12 miles on it. I'm just frustrated and broke. I really think the switch is bad though. Should be here sometime next week.

Frustrated you can fix. Broke? Well, that's why you're doing this the hard way. One day, you won't be broke and you'll still possess the knowledge to fix your own shit.

Or, you'll be perfectly fine with paying someone to fix your motorcycle, because you don't NEED to do it yourself.

Either way, greener grass is coming. You must have to keep at it. Chin up, man. You own a motorcycle. That is pretty fucking awesome. :)

Thanks, man! Hellbent on doing this "myself". Hopefully this is the last thing I NEED to do this season.

Keep at it. Plenty of good advice here and I can say with certainty that issac's papa (pauly) is a solid mechanic and diagnostician. I'm a little less sophisticated but I get the job done. Did you try running a fresh wire from the sensor to the junction inside the bucket? I'll look at a wiring diagram and see if there's another potential issue.

Ok...think I've got it.

Your oil light isn't just your oil light. It's also your 'stop warning light'.

Check and see if your brake lights work.check and see if the wires for the front brake light switch got messed up. Change your bulb if they dont. Oil light should turn off.

I accept all alcoholic or meat-related donations.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

I had noticed it too. There's four wires that run into a little module that controls the 'stop warning light". Now, as I already tested the light is delayed to turn on when I turn the bike one with the wire disconnected. I think what is happening is that the circuit IS open, but the module all the wires run through go "oh something's wrong here" and turns the light on so I know to address the problem.

I did check my brake lights front, back and even neutral light. All functional.

I wanted to reroute the wore and see, but it appears to go from the bulb to the sensor on one wire, and then from the bulb to the stop module off the other. I don't know where to run the line from as a start point.

And if we get this fixed I'll have to ride out your way with my county-wide famous "Dusty's Dust" hot pepper powder as a Thank You. I've got the 2014 WORLD record hottest pepper's this year. All heat, very little effect on flavor ???? it's sensational.