Oil pressure light. Help!

dustyxbla

On 4/6/2019 at 7:29 AM, Ozzie said:

I’ve been having a similar problem on my 1979 CB750L.  I changed all the lights to led’s, but my oil pressure light stays on.  I bought a new oil pressure switch, and I have enough oil and oil pressure.  After reading this forum, I think I need a resistor, but I’m not sure where exactly.  Do I need to put one by the stop light warning unit, down by the oil pressure switch, or in line with the taillights?  Any help would be great!

What happens when you manually operate the switch or just ground out the wire? 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Ozzie said:

The oil pressure light still stays on when the bike is running, and I manually ground the wire going to the oil pressure switch.

Switch works by breaking ground to shut off light. Remove switch from equation, if light remains on you have a short to ground somewhere in the wire that goes from switch to gauge cluster. Easy fix, run new wire. If light goes off, you either have low oil pressure or a shot switch, or one that works by the opposite principal as the one you need. Easy check, hook test light or VOM  to switch body and wire terninal, see if its normally open or normally closed. Apply pressure where the oil would usually go, see if switch opens or closes. Start motor with switch removed to confirm oil pressure lmfao.

14 hours ago, Pauly said:

How do you know you have oil pressure? Did you check it with a calibrated gauge?

I removed the oil pressure switch and turned the engine over resulting in oil coming out of that spot.  That should mean I have adequate pressure.  Correct?

10 hours ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Switch works by breaking ground to shut off light. Remove switch from equation, if light remains on you have a short to ground somewhere in the wire that goes from switch to gauge cluster. Easy fix, run new wire. If light goes off, you either have low oil pressure or a shot switch, or one that works by the opposite principal as the one you need. Easy check, hook test light or VOM  to switch body and wire terninal, see if its normally open or normally closed. Apply pressure where the oil would usually go, see if switch opens or closes. Start motor with switch removed to confirm oil pressure lmfao.

I’m not sure it’s a ground shorting out elsewhere because the oil pressure indicator light has a specific ground (red/blue wire), and I’ve traced that wire from the indicator down to the switch, and everything appears to be fine.

5 hours ago, Ozzie said:

I removed the oil pressure switch and turned the engine over resulting in oil coming out of that spot.  That should mean I have adequate pressure.  Correct?

It means you have some pressure. The light is not necessarily for "no pressure". It is a low pressure indicator warning. You probably have adequate pressure, but as of right now you have no idea. 

The light wasn’t on when I had my my old gauges, and the bike sounds fine while running (no clunking or rattling noises) so I’m thinking it has something to do with the new led’s I installed.  I’ve also checked the oil levels several times after running the bike, and they were sufficient.

8 hours ago, Ozzie said:

I’m not sure it’s a ground shorting out elsewhere because the oil pressure indicator light has a specific ground (red/blue wire), and I’ve traced that wire from the indicator down to the switch, and everything appears to be fine.

Oil pressure causes the switch to break ground contact to the bulb. Read that again. If you have a path to ground at the bulb, the switch is closed or you have a short.