Oil pressure light. Help!

dustyxbla

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so the stop light module has been making this whole process funky. I unplugged the module then unplugged the wore to the sensor and the light comes off and stays off. When I reconnect it to the switch, it comes on

1979 CB750 Limited Edition

Ahhhh! Fuck yeah! So I unplugged the stop light module and turned the key over and the oil light is on. This is normal. So, I start the bike and the light goes off! I turn the bike off and the light turns back off! I have no idea what that little module does or why its been making my life hell, but I KNOW I have pressure from burping the filter, and the switch is clearly responding to the oil pressure by turning off when I start the bike. Im going to replace the module, but you guys think I'm safe for a ride around town?

well yeah. with the stop warning doohickey disconnected you can isolate the oil pressure switch. Leave it unplugged and hook up the switch. Ignition on, light should be on. Start motor, light should turn off. If it doesn't then you have an issue with the wire between the switch and the light. If the light turns off with the motor running but turns back on when you connect the stop warning jobby then the issue is with that system.

So I CANNOT find this part secondhand online. I called our local Honda shop... $141 dollars for that little bastard.

NOW, its got me wondering. Again, because I'm a dumbass, I put an LED bulb in my tailight a week ago. I never noticed my stoplight running, but I've been dealing with a charging system problem so I wonder if I just overlooked it, I haven't really been running the bike.

Is it possible for the lack of power draw from the led bulb in the back to trigger the stop light as it thinks my tailight is out?... Testing to follow, I just want to keep you guys in the loop. If this whole problem was cause by an LED bulb I'm probably going to break down in tears lol

It was the bulb..

I want to thank you guys a ton. I've been up and down forums trying to figure this out and you guys are the only ones to continuously answer my questions and continue to suggest things.

Beers on me if you guys are ever in Wayne county.

Thanks a ton, not even playing though. I work in Wooster. 419-606-5047. Shoot me a text or call me if your looking your hard earned beer lol I've got a cb350 I'm working on so I'll be back on here before you know it lol

Good job Crazyskullcrusher! Glad ya'll got it figured out and posted the findings. It'll help peeps who read this for their future fixes. More often than not a problem is posted, help given, then they disappear and its left hanging.

• 3 years later...

I’ve been having a similar problem on my 1979 CB750L.  I changed all the lights to led’s, but my oil pressure light stays on.  I bought a new oil pressure switch, and I have enough oil and oil pressure.  After reading this forum, I think I need a resistor, but I’m not sure where exactly.  Do I need to put one by the stop light warning unit, down by the oil pressure switch, or in line with the taillights?  Any help would be great!

You will need to wire the resistor directly in line with the lights.  Probably will need one inline with each bulb you replaced (turn, brake, etc.)  I think about 6 ohm/50 watt resistor per bulb if they are 1157 type bulbs.