2007 Triumph Daytona Strange Noise

TimTheAzn

Put new plugs in it yesterday. Put everything back together, ran like poop. Smelled fuel coming out of the exhaust. Just ran shitty. Pulled the new plugs out, put the old ones back in, ran fine. Given, I didn't let the fan kick on with the new plugs (apparently that's what you are supposed to do to let the ECU get familiar with the new goodies?)

When I rode it out to a meet yesterday evening, I do think that sound was gone, I'll have to verify today when I get home. Still waiting on that new air filter, should be here Monday.

Dang, this is my old bike. Sold it right around 12k miles to some guy on Craigslist, who sold it to Stump. Glad to see it's still alive. Ride it to my place and I'll check it out for ya? 

Ah! Now I have a better idea of owner history, a good owner, two poopy owners, and now its back in the hands of someone caring again. I may have to take you up on that offer if it is still giving be the business after Monday when I ensure the new plugs are gap'd correctly (.7 I believe) and I have that new filter on there AND I give the ECU time to adjust. Unless you guys think its not a good idea to let it run rough like that on warm up...

Oh and I also found that a wire seemed to get corroded to the point it decided to disconnect itself, so I had to cut it and shove it back into the plug for a temp fix until I go to Porshe (a buddy works there) to let me grab some of those spades to properly connect the wires back.

Edited by TimTheAzn

Maybe you should unplug the battery before you reinstall the plugs and new filter so that you force the ecu to readjust altogether once you get it all ready to go. Has remedied idle and running issues with cars of mine in the past after tune ups an such.

Maybe you should unplug the battery before you reinstall the plugs and new filter so that you force the ecu to readjust altogether once you get it all ready to go. Has remedied idle and running issues with cars of mine in the past after tune ups an such.

Hah! Coming from a car background that was the very first thing I did!

I think I am going to let it just idle and not touch it until the fan kicks on when I get everything sorted. Then I'll see where I am at.

This is awesome, my car and now my bike are giving me crap. I cant win lol.

If it ran shitty with new plugs you either:

Got the wrong plugs

Didn't gap them correctly

Didn't install them correctly

Didn't get the caps on correctly.

An ecu should not have to get used to new plugs. Air filter I can see, because it will affect the efi feedback loop but spark plugs are just spark plugs.

Got the wrong plugs

An ecu should not have to get used to new plugs. Air filter I can see, because it will affect the efi feedback loop but spark plugs are just spark plugs.

I can say they are the same exact plugs. Same model number and look exactly the same. I cannot say for 100% the were gapped correctly because I didn't check them (going to have to buy that little tool).

Got the wrong plugs

Had the same thoughts when reading through, if it wasn't misfiring, but just running poorly, then I would think wrong plug or wrong gap.

If there was misfire then definitely check install and that caps are seated properly.

All basic stuff as we know, but I would assume he got the correct plug if he checked the numbers, gap could likely be problem. Don't know this specific bike, but could be a shoddy wire or coil too, plug wires are pretty easy to F up when changing plugs.

Checked the gap on the plugs and they were what they were supposed to be. Put em back in along with a new air filter and she started right up fine. Vacuum noise is still there. At least I got the plug issue figured out.

Sent from my iPhone.

It'll pretty hard to diagnose a noise over the forum without hearing it. But if you're gonna try, give us more info. 

You already mentioned it doesn't matter if you open the throttle fast or slow. 

Does it happen at a certain RPM range? Is it only above/below a certain RPM range?

Does it happen in all the gears, or only in certain gears? Noise still there in neutral? 

Is it truly a "vacuum leak" type of whistle, or like others mentioned more of a gear sound coming from the engine? 

Seeing how dirty that filter was, how is the oil? The 675 likes to be FULL, and the dipsticks even changed in 2009 to move the min/max marks up. On a 2007 you're safe running it about a 1/4" above the max mark, in fact I'd recommend it. 

The valvetrain on these bikes can make a lot of noise, especially if your cam chain is a little worn (put a manual tensioner on there, the 2006-2008 spring-loaded ones suck) or the valve clearances are out. 

Let me know what's up. If you're taking it to Pauly for 24k service I'm sure he'll check the valves and might be able to get you squared away. And my offer still stands if you want me to take a look at it. I've worked on more than my fair share of 675's and know a lot of the common issues with them. 

I'm wondering if part of your SAI system is disconnected. You looked at the actual injection point on the top of the valve cover, but follow all the tubes back to the cannister behind the right fairing and make sure it's all there and not disconnected. It's possible the PO disconnected some components like the air flap in the ram tube and may have capped the line and the cap has fallen off. 

Another spot to check is the throttle bodies at the base where they fit into the rubber boots with 3mm ribbon clamps. Could be a damaged boot or a loose clamp. 

Also pick up a Tune ECU cable and software (like 20 bucks for the cable, software is free) and it will help immensely to diagnose any and all faults. In this instance you can get all sensor readings, run through components to check that they're working, read/clear any check engine lights, and read your ECU map to see if it's been changed to run with hotter plugs or a new air filter/exhaust. 

And please take a cell phone video of the noise to help diagnose. 

I'm wondering if part of your SAI system is disconnected. You looked at the actual injection point on the top of the valve cover, but follow all the tubes back to the cannister behind the right fairing and make sure it's all there and not disconnected. It's possible the PO disconnected some components like the air flap in the ram tube and may have capped the line and the cap has fallen off. 

Another spot to check is the throttle bodies at the base where they fit into the rubber boots with 3mm ribbon clamps. Could be a damaged boot or a loose clamp. 

Also pick up a Tune ECU cable and software (like 20 bucks for the cable, software is free) and it will help immensely to diagnose any and all faults. In this instance you can get all sensor readings, run through components to check that they're working, read/clear any check engine lights, and read your ECU map to see if it's been changed to run with hotter plugs or a new air filter/exhaust. 

And please take a cell phone video of the noise to help diagnose. 

I'll see if this noise is still around. I've been riding it but honestly I just ignored it for some days. I'll have to check today. If the noise is still there, I'll throw up a vid.

• 2 weeks later...

1b9c18454254d196744e34dc2081b982.jpg

Anyone know what these three wires are for? I found this all messed up before and cut off the one end and shoved them back in there and it was ok for a little while. That noise came back yesterday so I decided to check it out today. What do ya know, same wire ate itself. Is this a common daytona thing or am I just lucky?

Sent from my iPhone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsE-85sWyaE

Tim. I scoped out several vids on YouTube and that noise was there. You can even hear it on DD's vid. As far as that plug goes it looks like I cooked once and a temporary permanent repair was made. Best bet may to eliminate that crap and hard wire it.

Yea, this old asshat agrees with the old asshat above me.

Sound is normal. That wiring harness is f'd up.  Cut it out and splice the wires together connecting the right ones AND solder them AND cover with shrink wrap or if the f'd up end is easily replaced do that instead.

3 yellow wires, if like most other bikes is for the charging system.  It's the 3 phase a/c power coming off your charging stator going to the voltage regulator.  It needs fixed before riding again and hopefully you haven't killed anything yet.