2007 Triumph Daytona Strange Noise

TimTheAzn

Hey guys, started my bike up today after it sitting for a few days and now when I blip the throttle (seems throttle position dependent) I hear this higher pitch "whooo" noise. Almost like a vacuum cleaner. I'm at a loss. Rode it, seemed ok and still made the sound after it came up to temp. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone.

Sounds like you're describing a noise coming from the air box when the throttle plates open.  If your bike is fresh out of winter storage in the garage, I'd pull the air box snorkel and check air filter/intake tract for a nice snug, little "mouse cabin" built over the winter.  Or it could be owls….

Uhh, lasts as long as it takes for the Rpm's to fall back down. Almost 21k. I changed the oil about 500 miles ago? Not sure if any major services have been done. I am going to get Paully to do my 24k service as soon as I can recoup some money from dropping it into my car.

Sent from my iPhone.

Any chance you can get a recording? Mine had a bad cam chain tensioner which led to the windshield and fairings vibrating from 6-8k rpm. I've also got some intake noise like a very powerful vacuum sucking air if I open the throttle up really quickly from zero. It only makes the noise for maybe 1/2 of a second. Is your intake flap in the ram tube stuck shut? Should be opening up at 4500 rpm and be shut otherwise unless the bike is tuned.

So I took off the tank to check my intake and filter lets just say I need a new filter...a8766303c09740cf5fd399addb01201b.jpg

I am going to order another and replace it but I still don't see a reason for that noise.... Unless you guys think it's due to the fogged up filter...

Sent from my iPhone.

Also, someone needs to smack what's his name in the nuts for that terrible engine upkeep.

That would be Stump, hell he parked the thing outside in his apartment complex parking lot most of the year. That poor bike.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if that engine has one but I know on the 1050 motors they have an exhaust air injection system. Its designed to pull air from the airbox and dump it into the exhaust headers under decel. If that hose has come off or split that may be what your hearing. Mine has two sections of hose and an electric solenoid on the rh side of the bike underneath the air box. If yours has that system it couldn't hurt to check it.

Not sure if that engine has one but I know on the 1050 motors they have an exhaust air injection system. Its designed to pull air from the airbox and dump it into the exhaust headers under decel. If that hose has come off or split that may be what your hearing. Mine has two sections of hose and an electric solenoid on the rh side of the bike underneath the air box. If yours has that system it couldn't hurt to check it.

Well since my airbox is already 1/2 off, I suppose I could check it. Would I need to take the entire thing off like I was doing plugs?

Well since my airbox is already 1/2 off, I suppose I could check it. Would I need to take the entire thing off like I was doing plugs?

Most likely, yes.  You are looking for some parts that look like the picture below.  Granted I got the picture off google and not from an actual bike but it should be what your looking for.  The two odd looking fittings attach to the top of the valve cover and the solenoid and hoses will be plumbed somehow into the airbox.

DSCI1739.jpg

It doesn't matter if it is opened quickly or not but it is definitely a vacuum cleaner type sound. The guys at the NEO meet and greet heard it and has us all stumped.

Sam thought it sounded like gearing, and while I didn't come to that conclusion at the time, I've replayed the sound in my head and that's exactly what it sounds like to me too.  Like teeth mating too closely.

Sam thought it sounded like gearing, and while I didn't come to that conclusion at the time, I've replayed the sound in my head and that's exactly what it sounds like to me too.  Like teeth mating too closely.

Crap......... that's not good.

Bearing noise in the trans?

Get a long screwdriver put one end on your ear and the other end on various parts of the motor. If it is internal you will find it.

Note, the pointy end of the screwdriver goes on the engine, not in your ear.

Most likely, yes.  You are looking for some parts that look like the picture below.  Granted I got the picture off google and not from an actual bike but it should be what your looking for.  The two odd looking fittings attach to the top of the valve cover and the solenoid and hoses will be plumbed somehow into the airbox.

DSCI1739.jpg

I took off the airbox completely to do the plugs yesterday and this was hooked up fine. No holes in the lines or anything.