$400,000 raised for threatened Indiana pizzeria

Casper

I also read that they were victims of ambush journalism and didn't realize they were commenting to the world's stage.  So, I felt sorry for them for a few hours until I saw the CNN article, then I was like, wow, they've just had their best year ever being exclusionist - what a nice reward for un-Christian values.

On a high note, no self-respecting gay would serve pizza at their wedding.

They're hardcore. Nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe. Using that belief and not selling someone because of it when you sell to the public, I dunno.

Like I've said before, I fully support your right to refuse business to anyone for any reason, but God and Jesus think you are an asshole for not treating people as humans and I think you are a :tard: for not wanting to bring in money.

I also read that they were victims of ambush journalism and didn't realize they were commenting to the world's stage.  So, I felt sorry for them for a few hours until I saw the CNN article, then I was like, wow, they've just had their best year ever being exclusionist - what a nice reward for un-Christian values.

On a high note, no self-respecting gay would serve pizza at their wedding.

I also wondered if they had accepted the business would the order have been canceled?

Then the customers moved on until they found a business that would turn them down.

The press was just a little too available for this event.

And what is up with pizza at a wedding? Really?

Funny thing about this money raising news. Food pantries are begging for donations, but these so-called Christians can't seem to muster enough money for them.

We can only wait and wonder what would happen if they were turned down from doing a gay wedding at a food pantry.

We can only wait and wonder what would happen if they were turned down from doing a gay wedding at a food pantry.

A curious twist in the story...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2015/04/09/sex-fundraising/25515471/

MI Gay Couple Starts Gofundme Account To Raise $10K For Gay Marriage Legal Fund After Success Of Memories Pizza…

All donations are going to a non-profit organization for the continued legal fight toward helping to defray the costs of the case brought by April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse against the state’s 2004 same-sex marriage ban.

Edited by Strictly Street

Funny thing about this money raising news. Food pantries are begging for donations, but these so-called Christians can't seem to muster enough money for them.

"The poor probably brought it on to themselves," or something like that.

Though to be fair, a lot of church-sponsored food pantries exist - you just have to sit through a sermon.  Always Be Closing, after all!

Tread lightly. Christian butthurt is on the warpath.

I wholly support the right for any PRIVATE enterprise to discriminate for any reason it wishes. I discriminate, without mercy. I had a guy bring his bike to me and he was an absolute racist. I mean, at least he didn't pretend he wasn't. That shit drives me crazy. If you're a racist, then wear that badge with your head up. Anyway, I took his money, and then some. His service was significantly higher than it would have been if he'd not been something I distain.

So, I support discrimination. I'm not allowed to pick and choose which is right or wrong.

This is precisely the point that millions of Americans either don't understand, or choose to ignore.  Discrimination is completely legal with very few exceptions. 

THE GOVERNMENT cannot discriminate, but the government cannot force private citizens not to discriminate, except in cases of:

- employment

- housing

- "common carriers" that are necessary to facilitate freedom of travel  (this started with hotels, and has expanded to taxis and airlines, etc.)

Otherwise any private business has the right to discriminate against whomever they wish.  And we should all want it that way.  Yes, this bakery is run by narrow-minded idiots who don't want to 'support' gay marriage, but are the people up-in-arms over their bigotry going to be equally as outraged when a construction company refuses to build some kind of temple for the Klan? 

Private businesses and private individuals discriminate all the time, and they have a right to do so.  The stupid Indiana law was unnecessary in the first place.

This is precisely the point that millions of Americans either don't understand, or choose to ignore.  Discrimination is completely legal with very few exceptions. 

The stupid Indiana law was unnecessary in the first place.

I think I agree fully with what you said, and also that the provocative Indiana law drew us back into the grey sumpwaters of church vs. state sanction and never should have been attempted.

But that's what that very law's purpose was - for a group of "victimized" Christians to re-assert even just a small amount of state-sponsored discrimination to help get back their nation, right in line with the "We are a Christian-founded nation, by God's will" argument.

It's "Jim Crow" in different clothes.  I can be tolerant (to a degree) with another person's backwardness, but not when it's state-sponsored, which is what that (first version of the) law edged into.

As a side note, I can't express how grateful I am for the reasonableness this past year or so's dialogue between O.R. members has been.  What I see on many other forums truly depresses me about the state of humanity.

We are absolutely on a slippery constitutional slope. I'm 100% for gay marriage. I'm as atheist as they come and I believe that anyone can live any other consenting adult. Period. But when the government mandates that a private citizen engage in a religious activity of another (read wedding photographer), they are crossing that religious freedom line. That being said, if you are a close-minded biggot, don't do weddings.

I think I agree fully with what you said, and also that the provocative Indiana law drew us back into the grey sumpwaters of church vs. state sanction and never should have been attempted.

But that's what that very law's purpose was - for a group of "victimized" Christians to re-assert even just a small amount of state-sponsored discrimination to help get back their nation, right in line with the "We are a Christian-founded nation, by God's will" argument.

It's "Jim Crow" in different clothes.  I can be tolerant (to a degree) with another person's backwardness, but not when it's state-sponsored, which is what that (first version of the) law edged into.

As a side note, I can't express how grateful I am for the reasonableness this past year or so's dialogue between O.R. members has been.  What I see on many other forums truly depresses me about the state of humanity.

Interesting, you see it as oppression of the minority. "Jim Crow"?

Why should I be required to endorse and even promote your point of view?

It is possible to look at it as letting a person do what they want.

Hmm.. personal freedom vs. herd mentality political correctness.

In your mind, personal freedom loses.

Christians are bad and all of them and deserve to die a horrible flaming death.

The Constitution of this country is irrelevant and all people must bow to a very small minority.

Oh yea, throw the race card in there too.

I respect your right to have an opinion. However, I have to point out that I am not required to share it.

I do realize, political correctness does require everyone to think the same thoughts.

The separation of church and state does not exist. The real true statement is.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,

or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to

petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Hmmm... It does seem that the current attitude of intolerance is promoted by those who claim to be tolerant.

Which I must admit strikes me as hysterically funny. Irony is the axis of the universe it seems.

On the other hand, the sun is up, It isn't raining and it is above freezing....

Time to ride!

:rh1:

This post is not a personal attack. Rather a sharing of an opinion on the pizza shop news item.

Which is; It isn't my business and I don't care how tacky you want your wedding to be, Pizza? Really?

Spell out the gay message in pepperoni? Really? Are you serious?

I apparently don't have better things to do than waste my time with this which does depress me somehow.

I definitely need a nice long ride to preserve my mental health and sense of proportion in life.

Agreed!

I think you're projecting some things into my position that aren't how I view/think/feel, but like you said, it's nice enough for a ride today, so let's get out there and smash some bugs!

You could be on to something.

It's hard to not project when the dialog is national. We are internet creatures and think what we have read or seen is the "position" of the "other" party.

In any case I will restate the really important part of my post:

I apparently don't have better things to do than waste my time with this which does depress me somehow.

I definitely need a nice long ride to preserve my mental health and sense of proportion in life.

:)

Agreed!

You could be on to something.

It's hard to not project when the dialog is national. We are internet creatures and think what we have read or seen is the "position" of the "other" party.

In any case I will restate the really important part of my post:

:)

Excellent points man.  But here's the thing.  Despite us having different perspectives, you and I are still talking, which is a fuck load better than the national debate is capable of doing.

Ride on brother!  Things are starting to green up out there, thank goodness.  Before long we'll be complaining about how fast the grass is growing!