Columbus suing state over red light camera ban

Casper

Usually I side with locals over states and feds, but I hate red light cameras. How about the government living within their means. Columbus got a significant income tax increase a few years ago. Enough is enough!

Camera's are a totally voluntarily tax. You choose to pay it.

Camera's are a totally voluntarily tax. You choose to pay it.

Yep, friend got one with picture of his car. Doing 15 over, never paid it, never issued warrant, no record of anything about it. I wouldn't pay one either.

Yep, friend got one with picture of his car. Doing 15 over, never paid it, never issued warrant, no record of anything about it. I wouldn't pay one either.

I meant if you don't speed around them you don't get a ticket.  Sooner or later your friend will get a collection agency going after him...and they will ding his credit report.  Unless he got lucky and the lost his records.  It's all a Civil matter, so no warrant will ever be issued.

I meant if you don't speed around them you don't get a ticket. Sooner or later your friend will get a collection agency going after him...and they will ding his credit report. Unless he got lucky and the lost his records. It's all a Civil matter, so no warrant will ever be issued.

Well he got it like 2 years ago now, and even had a cop pull up his record a year later, looked online, nothing so far and probably never.

But these aren't considered equal to a normal speeding ticket other than not being stopped?

Well he got it like 2 years ago now, and even had a cop pull up his record a year later, looked online, nothing so far and probably never.

But these aren't considered equal to a normal speeding ticket other than not being stopped?

Completely different. Not a moving violation, no points, no warrant. It is just a civil fine.....some day a collection agency will call him......that is all that will happen.

Redflex makes the cameras, and in most cases "leases" them to cities at no cost in exchange for 60% (average) of the revenues generated. So, that means Redflex is party to civil action on a traffic law to anyone who happens to get nailed. That's what really pisses me off, a private third party is in cahoots with the city government entities and should have nothing to do with a civil action enforcing a traffic law. That should be illegal.....

Edited by mello dude