Illegal to wear earplugs while riding?

Wojo72

12 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Why do people stop for the police? 

I consider it a courtesy. I've had cops thank me for stopping before and then not ticket me. Crown Vic interceptors are fast but no match for a sport bike and they know it. 

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, the new Motorcycle Ohio Rider's Guide (for the class that is replacing the MSF courses in Ohio) specifically mentions earplugs as a piece of safety equipment and then encourages you to check the law.  Even if you were ticketed for it, the $50 or so fine is worth being able to hear clearly in 30 years, IMHO.

• Upvote 2

My bike could out run the charger that pulled me over but I'm not so sure about the radio ahead he put out. I never knew he was there until I decided I should slow down once I saw oncoming traffic. If those cars coming at me would not have slowed and pulled over to curb I would have never saw the lights behind me. I thought about rolling back into it but I had no clue how long he had been following me nor how close he had gotten to me. I was not sure if he had captured my plate number. So I thought it was best to pull over and hope for the best. I had not gotten a ticket in 3 yrs so I figured it may help my cause. In the end probably was the best move for me cuz I was on 9 south just past 151 split and I don't know that there are any side streets to turn off until 22. 

• 2 weeks later...

Earplug tickets are cheaper than hearing aids.

Last time I was pulled over on the bike I specifically said to the cop; "Is it OK if I remove my helmet so I can take my earplugs out and hear you better?"  He was fine with that and didn't react at all to the earplugs, they were a non-issue for him.  No ticket for the speeding either, despite being more than 25 over.  Just a friendly slow-the-fuck-down chat.

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2016 at 0:14 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I consider it a courtesy. I've had cops thank me for stopping before and then not ticket me. Crown Vic interceptors are fast but no match for a sport bike and they know it. 

The Crown Vics are slow compared to everything else law enforcement uses these days.

The Taurus and Explorer are no slouch.  Explorer supposedly hits 155+ in highway pursuits.  It won't accelerate like a bike, but a 600 isn't going to lose one on an open road.

Fleeing is a felony. Speeding is a fine and a license suspension at worst.  I'd take my chances with stopping and being polite before I risked a felony on my record.

• Upvote 1

Just found and ordered a pair of these.  They are no Sena bluetooth setup, but a step forward from what I currently have.  Brilliant idea, hope they work well.

https://www.plugfones.com/hearing-protection/motorcycle-earplugs/

"BUYNOW10" for 10% off

I use those with my Sena. I like the Yellow buds better than the Orange. They seem to roll down better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mango_sv said:

I use those with my Sena. I like the Yellow buds better than the Orange. They seem to roll down better.

Will be testing them tomorrow.  I usually like foam plugs.  I bought the gray and green foam, but I can't fit them to my ear like I'm used to.  The silicone seems to work better for me on them.  These things are right up my alley as I either ride with plugs, or with earbuds.  They seem to block more noise than my Sony buds do.

They do fairly well. I have a pair I use at work also. They are comfortable for 12 hrs stretches. My biggest complaint is that after the get warm, they don't really stay rolled down long enough to get back in your ears easily.