How do you know when you need to replace your clutch.

Zorro

how do you know when your clutch needs replaced?  my 2005 R1 clutch seems to make a gargling noise when dis-engaged while the bike is running and sitting in neutral.  When I engage the clutch, the noise stops.  I havent had any slippage or noticed anything odd when shifting gears.

bike is 10 years old, original clutch with like 26k miles on it.

Thanks.

What you're hearing is probably the driven plates being pushed by the hadraulic forces produced by the driving plates as they spin through the oil in the case, unless you've been really beating on it, in which case the basket and hub might be worn where the plates engage them and you're hearing the plates rattle in the basket. Like pauly said, if it's not slipping just ride it. When it does start slipping or if you find that it's hard to get into gear or hard to find neutral, you probably need service.

Be proactive ...

Replace the plates when they reach the wear limit, as measured by a set of calipers.

Just like replacing your tires. If you are depending upon them to show threads, or slip to provide notice for replacement, it may be too late. 

Thanks for the input guys.  Like I said, it doesnt slip, just a gargling noise while sitting in neutral.  Kinda sounds a lil like the dry clutch on a ducati but not nearly as bad.

I'll keep riding it until it slips.

Good points. Having someone check/ride his scooter would alleviate some of his worry. And save $ that he might not have to spend.

Hearing odd noises does indicate that something may be wrong or that something is going to fail. A cracked fiber plate can cause some engaged/disengaged noise differences.

Edited by BMMW

• 1 month later...

I replace mine when it no longer clutches up in the higher gears. 4th & 5th

Yutugg beioches

Well, riding home from bike night last night I noticed I was having problems shifting in to 5th and 6th gears.  Thannks Midget Todd, I think a clutch replacement is in order at 25k miles.

Could there be another reason why I had problems shifting in to the higher gears? 

put the bike in top gear, then roll the front wheel up to an immovable object.

rev a bit, and dump the clutch.  If the bike doesn't stall immediately, replace your clutch.

FWIW, clutch SPRINGS are very inexpensive and easy to swap out.  You usually don't even have to drain oil from the bike if it's on the side-stand.

Clutch lever cable adjustment.  Is the clutch lever loose, if so may need adjusted.  This could be a cause, but rough shifting would happen more frequently.

This is the first thing i did when i first noticed the problem.  it seemed to help some.  I'm gonna have to go for another ride and play around with the adjustment.  I adjusted it at the lever.  it was basically all the way screwed in and I gave it about 3 or 4 full rotations.  Noticed the difference when pulling it in right away...however, it didnt completely solve my issue.  Thanks!

If you're having trouble shifting between gears, then you may need a clutch. How hard is neutral to find when the bike is running?

Neutral did seem a lil bit harder to find...missed it a couple times.  Thanks!

put the bike in top gear, then roll the front wheel up to an immovable object.

rev a bit, and dump the clutch.  If the bike doesn't stall immediately, replace your clutch.

FWIW, clutch SPRINGS are very inexpensive and easy to swap out.  You usually don't even have to drain oil from the bike if it's on the side-stand.

I'll have to try this..thanks for the info.

So, an entire clutch kit is about 170 (http://www.tobefast.com/Genuine-Yamaha-Clutch-Kit-for-the-Yamaha-R1-04-08.html).%C2'> Not sure what the springs are seperately.  Do you think the springs would fix the issue or just replace everything?

Also get into a high gear and go slow, then roll on hard. If your clutch has issues you will hear the RPM's climb fast but you won't be speeding up. It is VERY noticeable if it is bad.

I've experienced this sort of situation happening in 4th and 5th gears after I took my bike out of storage this winter.  Was accelerating at highway speeds, and right before the tach hit 5k RPM, the revs would climb noticeably faster than my speed.  Also, neutral was suddenly much more elusive and difficult to locate.  A couple hours of troubleshooting later, the pivot pin for the clutch actuator lever was starting to seize against the lever and the mounting tabs on the transmission case.  A generous amount of penetrating oil and a dab of anti-seize later, the problem is gone, and I now have another item on my to-do list for after rides where I encounter wet/damp conditions.

the pivot pin for the clutch actuator lever was starting to seize against the lever and the mounting tabs on the transmission case.  A generous amount of penetrating oil and a dab of anti-seize later, the problem is gone

So, this is on the outside engine, correct?  Right where the clutch cable connects to the clutch housing?

• 5 years later...

I have a 2002 R1... I notice when riding and getting into the higher rpm’s, they will rev up and I won’t go as fast as the rpm’s are revving.... is this a sign of a clutch issue? Any suggestions? I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Mhaynes37 said:

I have a 2002 R1... I notice when riding and getting into the higher rpm’s, they will rev up and I won’t go as fast as the rpm’s are revving.... is this a sign of a clutch issue? Any suggestions? I appreciate it.

Yes.