Bikes in movies - get the damn sound right!

redkow97

(possible Walking Dead spoilers if you didn't watch Sunday's episode yet.  Not relevant to the plot, but I know some people like to go in "fresh.")

If Daryl is going to ride a fucking zombie-ass chopper with 4 header pipes, it should not sound like a goddamn v-twin...

daryl-dixon-motorcycle-1-625x625.jpg

• Upvote 1

it was right at the beginning. Daryl wasn't in the episode except for that scene.  I'm sure the actor just wasn't on set for the week, so they had to do a 2 second shot of him leaving to explain why he wasn't on the "run" with Glen et all.

right, but they hadn't actually established that he started doing that yet. 

It just annoyed me that they couldn't get the engine sound even close to being right.  I'm less annoyed (but still think it's ridiculous) that they put inverted forks on an otherwise ratty bike.  We're supposed to believe that Aaron scavenged a pristine modern front-end more easily than just finding a complete bike?

it's cool looking and all that, I just think it would have been more authentic to have it be older parts all around, as if the majority of it was all in the garage to begin with.

Oh I noticed the exact same thing too on TWD, my Wife was laughing at my ranting! LOL  The others annoying thing is when firearms also do not sound like the appropriate one being used in a movie or show, although not as important as proper motorcycle sounds. ;)

I actually pointed out a couple of times last night where people were barrel-sweeping each other, and I love how the suppressors "chirp" on TV, but engine/tire noise bothers me more.

Worst offenses are when a vehicle up-shifts 6 times on a 5-speed transmission.

Gun noises are less annoying to me than poor trigger discipline. As much crying that Hollywood makes about guns, you'd think they'd be more contentious about gun safety in their work.

Fucking hypocrites.

I HATE poor trigger discipline in movies!!! Grrrrr

A famous one that sticks out in my head is John Conner's xr100 from terminator 2 sound more like a small bore 2 stroke than the xr100's true roar **sarcasm.

They do it because of the recognizability to general public. Susie homemaker doesn't know what an air cooled inline 4 sounds like. To be specific, both of Daryl's bikes didn't sound correct. The first was a parallel twin that sounded peculiarly like a HD

Edited by 3.504

As much crying that Hollywood makes about guns, you'd think they'd be more contentious about gun safety in their work.

If real owners were as careless with guns as actors are with props, I'd be against guns too!  Who else has been like, "Jesus Daryl, you just killed a bank of zombies and the gun is still hot, so did you have to just sweep several members of your own party?"

Back to motorcycles - I enjoyed the electric one Tom Cruise rode in Oblivion.  They got the sound right and it gave me another woodie for that Zero/Brammo/Livewire I'll never afford.

• Upvote 1

If real owners were as careless with guns as actors are with props, I'd be against guns too!  Who else has been like, "Jesus Daryl, you just killed a bank of zombies and the gun is still hot, so did you have to just sweep several members of your own party?"

Back to motorcycles - I enjoyed the electric one Tom Cruise rode in Oblivion.  They got the sound right and it gave me another woodie for that Zero/Brammo/Livewire I'll never afford.

Olga Kurylenko being on the back of that electric bike is what gave me a woody.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bike itself. Looks like an early Nighthawk 750 quasi-cafed, with a wrapped V&H exhaust, a reverse fork front end from some other donor, no airbox or battery and a spray painted engine. I'm also relatively certain it's a fake kickstart since that sure does look like the  16v, DOHC, hydraulic lifter version of the 750 (valve cover is a give-away) that never had one. Did *ANY* CBxxx have a kick start?  I can't decide whether I like it or hate is as a monstrosity.

Regarding sound, trigger discipline, etc, just accept that Hollywood has no understanding of reality, let alone basic physics. All cops can chose to shoot people in the knees, revolvers can fire 20 rounds w/o a reload, a .44 magnum can throw a man across the room w/o so much as a hint of recoil, cars have an infinite number of gears...

Edited by Phreon
  • Upvote 1

Phreon, that does resemble the nighthawk motor but they were never kick start and the clutch cover is different. ALL cb bikes were kick start prior to 1979 except the hondamatic iirc. The motor could be a yamaha xj top end married to a kick start xs bottom end... it's definitely not a gs. Idk enough about old kawasaki bikes to say if it is or isn't one. It's still a cool chop, I'd ride it.

I have a Nighthawk 750, the cover is dead on, right down to the plastic dipstick hole. Reason I think it's a last gen, hydraulic tappet 750 is the squared valve covers and hoses to the oil cooler - the earlier ones used the frame. The frame looks right as well - the passenger pegs are in the right place and those cheezy wire heel rests are even there.  That kickstart looks fake to me....

And it just proves that Google knows literally everything. I just wasted my time wondering instead of looking it up first.

http://www.bikeexif.com/daryl-dixon-motorcycle

I really like how the XF650 tank looks on it. Wonder how much work it took to fit it.

Edited by Phreon